Octocon 2010: Dublin, 16-17 October

Luga's questions were the most interesting (she seems to have a flair for press), so it'd be a shame to miss those out.

That panel was really entertaining, Kristian comes across as a nice guy, says his line very well (he demonstrated "happy" for us) and has the impressive Hodor effect, especially when standing up. A few of us were talking to him in the hotel bar before the panel started during which he politely refrained from eating the burger he'd ordered, so i hope it wasn't too cold by the time we left him alone.

Someone will have to remind me what the jumping out of a bush scene was, my memory of the books is faded. He did say something about one scene that was going to be embarassing to film and i do vaguely recall something about a large swinging member, so looking forward to that.

As far as the change in appearance goes, I think it makes sense to apply that to the change from stablehand to Bran's valet/donkey. If he's carrying a lordling on his back he could have better clothes, his hair slicked down etc as well as being cleaned up.

Thanks Aoife that would be really helpful :)

I will put the video on my webspace this evening and PM the links to you (don't worry there will be no links to the files anywhere else so nobody will be able to find them). It is better than me trying to email these 150mb files to you I think you'll agree.

Thanks, John :) I don't mean to be an ass about the video, but I can't imagine it would be THAT difficult to just stick a little lacuna in there where ever I asked a question and post the video that way. I do think people should be able to see it if they want. I don't know anything about video shit, so for all I know it is a huge pain in the ass to clip out 25 seconds of footage. Still, given the public interest in the actors I don't think it's too much to ask. I was not told beforehand that the video would be posted on YouTube when the camera phone was there sitting three feet away from me - otherwise I wouldn't have asked any questions.

You could have Luga's bits transcribed and the rest of the video online (assuming nobody else objects), although i appreciate that's more work for all involved.

Did you really mean to say that John or is this actually Flip and you just forgot to sign out? :P

I think i was corrupted by the snippets i heard from that previously mentioned conversation between George and the girls on saturday night.

p.s.: one other thing from lady narcissa's report earlier in the thread, in regard to GRRM's answer about his TV days and the influence on his writing...

Thanks for clarifying/expanding. I could only type so fast and I certainly didn't get everything down. I had to leave some things out.

GRRM's q&a with Kristian came up completely unexpected. I didn't have my computer with me. I took notes on what was said but they were literally written on a cocktail napkin in chicken scrawl and are very limited. A lot of what was said has already been written about and everyone can see it if the video gets posted or the transcript gets written up. But for now, just a few things that were said that I don't see mentioned here (apologies if they are and I missed them) are...

GRRM got asked if he envisions there will be any changes to his stories as they get adopted for television. He said as it is a different medium with time constraints, so some changes are inevitable. This is a challenge for the producers. Some minor characters grow in prominence over the course of the series so how do the producers deal with this? Do they cast a major actor for a minor role in the beginning? Often major actors aren't willing to take on a minor role like that.

GRRM got asked if knowing his books will appear on the screen has changed his writing at all. He said he couldn't say hit has but he is human and he is going to be affected by what he sees on the screen. He mentioned watching the audition of one actress for a minor character in season one. She was completely different than he had pictured for the character but she was fabulous. So fabulous that he wants to give her a bigger role in the series. She isn't in Dw/D but will be in the one after that.

When asked about the "look" of the sets, Kristian said Winterfell is very Dark Ages medieval gritty looking. GRRM said he had seen a picture of the lift for the Wall and that while it was impressive looking it was completely different from how he envisioned.

Kristian got asked about his audition being posted on the internet. He said this was a mistake on his agent's part and that it has since been taken down. He wasn't completely happy with his audition - he wished that he had known more about his character when he did the audition - but he got a lot of positive feedback from those who saw it.

Kristian got asked about the wolves on the set and he launched into puppy love. He loves them and hopes to steal one at the end of the show. He thinks they are huskie wolf combos.

The best question of the q&a came from Pebble who asked Kristian if he was scared he was going to die and be out of a job. He said no, he knows from others that he makes it through the first few books. Parris at this point announced that his character is safe through Book 4.

GRRM got asked about how future seasons will be filmed. He said Book 3 might have to be filmed in two seasons or maybe be a 15 episode single season. The good thing about being on HBO is that they do vary season lengths so doesn't have to be consistent from season to season. But with Books 4 and 5, hopefully they will be woven together and presented seamlessly and not filmed as they were written. Hopefully Book 5 will be done by then.

The best question of the q&a came from Pebble who asked Kristian if he was scared he was going to die and be out of a job. He said no, he knows from others that he makes it through the first few books. Parris at this point announced that his character is safe through Book 4.

But it was the way Kristian turned to George and said "please don't kill me" that made it funny.

But it was the way Kristian turned to George and said "please don't kill me" that made it funny.

LOL, oops I missed that with my chicken scrawl. Although that reminds me that Kristian did out in a request to GRRM that he get to go to Malta so could Hodor have to journey somewhere warm. GRRM said Hodor would be in the woods and through the snow for the next few years so he hopes he likes snow.

As far as I recall, there were gigantic things in the program saying it was NOT allowed to record or video GRRM, although that may have been just the reading itself. Are you sure you ought to post it?

It's really only the readings that we're most concerned about being recorded and then put up on the web w/out George's ok.

Of course, this may change, but if so, we'll make sure folks know.

If the handsome young man who introduced himself as a Moynihan from County Kerry happens to read this thread, please PM me so we can discuss the details of our kinship. I have some photos from my grandmother's visits to Kerry in the late 40's, early 50's, that I would like to share with him, they may jog the memories of some of his older family.

thanks cousin!

Back home again. :)

I really really really really really enjoyed my time in Dublin and meeting so many of the BwB people and Parris and George. :)

I'll sort and post my pictures later.

Pebble, I put the note with the sentence up on my bathroom mirror, so I'll see it every day and be reminded of what you said. :D

devotee...

sorry that we didn't wait for you, but we really had to go to get to the airport in time for my flight. :mellow:

Hope you're not angry with us and you got to the airport on your own. :leaving:

Well, I'm not home quite yet. Taking a break from exploring Amsterdam due to the rain.

It was awesome seeing everybody again, and meeting people as well. Hope everybody makes it home safe, and for those still traveling have fun. Hopefully I'll see you guys before Reno, since that feels like a rather long time from now.

Wow, thank you all for a very nice weekend. As others said, too little time, and there were unfortunately a lot of you I only talked to briefly, but you are amazing and too many to mention in fear of forgetting someone.

Special mentions will however go to Alytha and Luzifers Right Hand, yesterday was fun and interesting. The final visit to the Bleeding Horse was a perfect way for me to end the trip. A nod to williamjm aswell, we had a nice conversation in the bar area before and throughout the Cake.

Adz of CAAA - No problem at all, today I bought some pants, got my hair cut for free at local hairdressing school (about time too, I really should have done that before I met you guys, heh) and took the local bus at around 1 pm. Nice meeting you!

When is the next con? Thanks again!

If the handsome young man who introduced himself as a Moynihan from County Kerry happens to read this thread, please PM me so we can discuss the details of our kinship. I have some photos from my grandmother's visits to Kerry in the late 40's, early 50's, that I would like to share with him, they may jog the memories of some of his older family.

thanks cousin!

That's my friend Conor! I can pass on the message for you.

Thanks, John :) I don't mean to be an ass about the video, but I can't imagine it would be THAT difficult to just stick a little lacuna in there where ever I asked a question and post the video that way. I do think people should be able to see it if they want. I don't know anything about video shit, so for all I know it is a huge pain in the ass to clip out 25 seconds of footage. Still, given the public interest in the actors I don't think it's too much to ask. I was not told beforehand that the video would be posted on YouTube when the camera phone was there sitting three feet away from me - otherwise I wouldn't have asked any questions.

It would be in the best interests of the BwB to honor Luga's wishes in this matter. Many members of the BwB do not want videos and/or photos posted of themselves on the internet, especially those obtained without their knowledge or consent.

Or you can look at it another way. She wouldn't have asked those questions if she knew she was going to be recorded. Knowing that you can and will be videotaped during these Q & A sessions may well result in some interviewers clamming up because they don't want to be filmed. I sure as hell don't blame them. And you'd be missing out on some great stuff. Do a transcript, or edit her out. It isn't "too much trouble" - it's common courtesy.

If Luga doesn't mind me seeing the full video, I'll volunteer to do the transcript. I know it'll take a while, but there really should be one, even aside from privacy/non-videoing concerns.
Thanks Aoife that would be really helpful :)

I will put the video on my webspace this evening and PM the links to you (don't worry there will be no links to the files anywhere else so nobody will be able to find them). It is better than me trying to email these 150mb files to you I think you'll agree.

The files were much bigger than I had thought, more like 650mb. Took all night to upload but Aoife now has the details - thanks for doing this.

It would be in the best interests of the BwB to honor Luga's wishes in this matter. Many members of the BwB do not want videos and/or photos posted of themselves on the internet, especially those obtained without their knowledge or consent.

Or you can look at it another way. She wouldn't have asked those questions if she knew she was going to be recorded. Knowing that you can and will be videotaped during these Q & A sessions may well result in some interviewers clamming up because they don't want to be filmed. I sure as hell don't blame them. And you'd be missing out on some great stuff. Do a transcript, or edit her out. It isn't "too much trouble" - it's common courtesy.

Nothing is too much trouble to keep my friends happy. I apologised via PM and I think we're cool again now.

Nothing is too much trouble to keep my friends happy. I apologised via PM and I think we're cool again now.

That sounds great. I know you enjoy attending these events and I think you'd agree that it's better to have as many people possible feeling comfortable and wanting to ask questions and participate. :)

Archived