College Football III

Kalbear

well at the news that we're getting Orgeron, Monte and Chow I've calmed down a bit.

And fuck, this basically pisses off every one who isn't a USC fan, so it's got to be good, right?

Orgeron sounds like an asshole, calling recruits, that's low. Kickass.

I wonder how hard Mustain has been working since Pete announced he was leaving. The kid is probably busting ass to be the hardest worker and most skilled player on the team. :P

Corp probably feels like an idiot, transfers to FCS Richmond hours before Pete announces he's leaving. lol.

I've been thinking about the Tennessee job today...

In college basketball, it seems to be widely accepted that Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, UCLA, and IU are the "royalty" of the sport. With the recent defection of Lane Kiffen from Tennessee to USC, it's got me wondering: "Just where does UT stand as a program compared to others?"

There doesn't seem to be a clear cut order to me, and there also seems to be a LOT of teams with strong traditions to cling to. The best I can come up with seems to be a tiered system.

First, I still go with Notre Dame. Its lost its lustre, but no other program in all of college athletics can demand their very own TV contract.

I think from there I have to put things in a tier system. I'd put traditional powers into the second tier like Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, USC, Texas, and Oklahoma.

In the next tier, I'd put the "Johnny come lately" great programs. (i.e. The teams that don't track their success back to the "Aught" years.) I'd stick Tennessee, Georgia, LSU, Florida, Florida State, and Miami here.

I've listed 13 teams in one of the three tiers of "historical elite programs." That's certainly much more expansive than the simplicity of the 5 team college basketball consensus. Where have I gone wrong with this classification? Thoughts? Most of you here follow college football much more closely than I do, how do you shake out the "royalty" programs of college football.

In the next tier, I'd put the "Johnny come lately" great programs. (i.e. The teams that don't track their success back to the "Aught" years.) I'd stick Tennessee, Georgia, LSU, Florida, Florida State, and Miami here.

I've listed 13 teams in one of the three tiers of "historical elite programs." That's certainly much more expansive than the simplicity of the 5 team college basketball consensus. Where have I gone wrong with this classification? Thoughts? Most of you here follow college football much more closely than I do, how do you shake out the "royalty" programs of college football.

Tennessee doesn't deserve to be rated in this tier over either Penn State or Nebraska for starters. Actually, for as long as those two schools have been consistently good in the past I would argue they are at least second tier.

Top 3 jobs no doubt are Texas, Florida and USC in some order. Likely Texas first. USC is the only big prestige one of the bunch, but all three are massive because of their recruiting base and the areas they dominate. Right behind those three would be Ohio State, Michigan, OU, Alabama, LSU and Nebraska in some order. ND is pretty close up there. Then after that you can go with schools like UCLA, Washington, Penn State, Georgia, Virginia Tech, Miami and such in some order. They're all good schools with strong bases and pay coaches well. But there is a clear gap between the top 3 and the next 6-8 and there is another bigger gap after that.

Archived