Can we make a difference?

Ok, it goes like this. HBO wants to earn money, I want to be entertained. So economic theory tells me that we should meet somewhere in the middle.

The middle for me is not equal to getting a subscription seeing as I live in Europe. So, that probably means DVD's. But what if I would be willing to sponsor the show even more? How much are you willing to pay to see this happen and happen properly?

How would you guys feel about a grassroots movement to support the show? I mean, if it worked for Obama. So help me out, help HBO out, help GRRM out, heck help yourselves out and show HBO the money...

If you could raise enough money to buy Jaime a proper white cloack, would you?

Generally I don't believe in Corporate charity for multi-million dollar companys so I wouldnt write a check to HBO. I would take part in other grassroots campaigns though such as letter writing, petition signing, etc.

One thought I had for HBO to judge support for the show and raise money would be to release the pilot as a DVD like Caprica and based on sales pick up the series. This would be a major change for HBO though so I doubt it would happen.

Here's why I advise against this:

1) HBO is already aware of all of the excitement we're creating online here, at WiC and elsewhere. I think that if anything our continued interest in the project can, as it is, only help things - and perhaps helps things out of proportion to how many are actually actively following it (hopefully no HBO people will read this particular thread...heh).

2) if the we try to start something like this but the amount of people who sign on and state that they will buy the DVDs or subscribe for the series isn't very large, the whole thing could wind up backfiring and make it look like there is less interest.

I think the interest we've shown is already greatly helping the chances for the show - we keep hearing how surprised HBO is at the amount of excitement already exists for it, long before the show is certain. That's pretty much a new thing for them, this kind of buzz. After that, it's just going to be down to the quality of the pilot. By all accounts they really want to do the show, but the pilot process is necessary for them to make sure it's feasible. It's really out of our hands, I think.

I just want HBO to offer an online subscription by the time it airs :) I've gotten all my video over the net for 2 years now and have no desire to pay for regular TV service again....

I'm pretty sure you can DL episodes from iTunes and maybe other services when (or very soon after) they air on HBO.

Archived