Aussies XLVIII

Stubby

For me it would depend on who was running against her. But also a possibility.

I'd vote for her now because the people she would be targeting are people I don't really want settling in major australian cities (wouldnt mind them picking fruit etc). She might actually be smart enough to see that or have the lack of PC sensibilities to do something. However if she turned her attention back to the slant eyed yellow horde I'd vote against her no matter who was else was running.

Speaking as someone who considers himself towards the centre-right of the political spectrum (generally speaking I'm a Liberal voter), I think Hanson represented many of the bad elements of the right. I consider myself a moderate right because I don't believe in many of the things Hanson herself espoused - her limited immigration policy and the pro-protectionism in particular, which would be particularly damaging to Australia in the global society and world economy. Some of her elements of common sense populism I can agree with. But in general, Hanson was too extreme for my tastes.

Hansonism was an interesting mix, and in the protectionism and anti-migrant sentiment it was appealing to one of the oldest strains of Australian political thought (and a founding plank of the Labor party) - while it was a right-wing phenomenon it also appealed to working-class Labor voters who in particular felt left behind by the party's increasing appeal to middle class voters and its turn to multiculturalism and neoliberalism in the 80s and 90s.

It should also be remembered that Hanson was hounded out of politics and convicted of electoral fraud due to a series of court actions backed by a Liberal party slush fund, largely at the instigation of one A. J. Abbott. (Not that the party wasn't collapsing under epic mismanagement and feuding between her and Oldfield and Etterigde anyway.)

I think some of Hanson's popularity was also because her lack of political correctness pitted her against mainstream politicians, who everyone loves to hate. I mean right now there's a general distrust of politicians because of their tendency to backflip, evade questions, be overly careful with what they are saying, and tread water instead of doing something. The fact that Hanson didn't have these characteristics meant that some people would likely support her no matter what views she had, because she represents everything that is against the modern politician's personality.

Yes, especially in the context of the 1996 election where you had a choice between a socially liberal, economically liberal party with some social democratic overtones and a less socially liberal but more economically liberal party trying to convince people it was safe and boring after years in the wilderness Hanson's authentic, untutored populism struck a chord.

I think some of Hanson's popularity was also because her lack of political correctness pitted her against mainstream politicians, who everyone loves to hate. I mean right now there's a general distrust of politicians because of their tendency to backflip, evade questions, be overly careful with what they are saying, and tread water instead of doing something. The fact that Hanson didn't have these characteristics meant that some people would likely support her no matter what views she had, because she represents everything that is against the modern politician's personality.

ok so you have a realistic viewpoint of how our democracy exists ( cannot say function ) and you still believe in Democracy?

Sorry there has to be a better method, ohh about Pauline I think on apeal her conviction was overturned and she was awarded damages.

ok so you have a realistic viewpoint of how our democracy exists ( cannot say function ) and you still believe in Democracy?

Sorry there has to be a better method, ohh about Pauline I think on apeal her conviction was overturned and she was awarded damages.

Her conviction was overturned.

I'm not sure about the damages aspect though.

Sorry there has to be a better method

Well, I'd still take this type of democracy over dictatorships or military juntas. Quite frankly I'd rather have petty politicians who squabble over stuff but generally stay out of my way than take my chances on a so-called benevolent dictator, some police state or various types of political instability and coups. It may be apathetic of me, but I think democracy's the best of a bad lot. ;)

Massive LOL @ Culina Jr. and Palmer the Hutt - unbeaten season prediction looks pretty fucking stupid now, huh?

Yes it does. I can't beleive that Kennedy had the best game, where was he the rest of the year? But I guess if you are ever going to perform, finals time is the time to do so. Have any of the other games been played?

Nux host Perth tomorrow, then there's a break for the Indonesia game then back on March 6th-7th. Winner of Nux-Perth hosts you guys, winner of that goes to SFS or Tard Dome to play loser of the top two playoff, winner of that plays in GF.

Well, I'd still take this type of democracy over dictatorships or military juntas. Quite frankly I'd rather have petty politicians who squabble over stuff but generally stay out of my way than take my chances on a so-called benevolent dictator, some police state or various types of political instability and coups. It may be apathetic of me, but I think democracy's the best of a bad lot. ;)

Some form of democracy yes but how about there being certain requirements for those who wish to run?

You know things like are they of good character have they got any brains. Will they be easily controlled or will they represent the people?

Some of that is not really possible to tell until they are in power but some of the vital other stuff is quite easy to check upon.

At the moment essentially anyone can get elected no matter how crooked they are so long as they have not been convicted.

Nux host Perth tomorrow, then there's a break for the Indonesia game then back on March 6th-7th. Winner of Nux-Perth hosts you guys, winner of that goes to SFS or Tard Dome to play loser of the top two playoff, winner of that plays in GF.

I'm really nervous about the Phoenix game. Glory don't travel well at the best of times, and the 5000 km journey to Wellington is a real killer.

BTW Horza...big Lancashire Derby this weekend. Can Rovers do the double?

I'm really nervous about the Phoenix game. Glory don't travel well at the best of times, and the 5000 km journey to Wellington is a real killer.

BTW Horza...big Lancashire Derby this weekend. Can Rovers do the double?

Both your teams will taste defeat.

Both your teams will taste defeat.

Are we talking about the soccer? Where are you guys from and which is what team? I only know of the Glory being an ex Perth lad. Used to watch the games when Bert was in charge. No team in Canberra that I know of so I miss everything. Does the Glory have a bigger british following now that WAPOL have got so many ex pommy coppers?

If you guys ever moved to London/UK which team would you follow. Milwall?

Are we talking about the soccer? Where are you guys from and which is what team? I only know of the Glory being an ex Perth lad. Used to watch the games when Bert was in charge. No team in Canberra that I know of so I miss everything. Does the Glory have a bigger british following now that WAPOL have got so many ex pommy coppers?

If you guys ever moved to London/UK which team would you follow. Milwall?

I'm a die hard Glory and Blackburn Rovers fan OLP. I go to Glory games quite often and so it was a shame to miss out on the home final. As far as I know, the Glory fan base has remained pretty static over the years.

BTW, I think Canberra might actually end up with an A-League team in the next couple of seasons.

It's going to take me at least a month to get over this. Glory out on penalties :frown5:. Dave Mitchell made a big mistake with his kickers - no way should Naum Sekulovski have gotten anywhere near the penalty spot.

Missed the game but I was expecting a fairly comfortable Nux win and by the sounds of it you guys were the better team for much of the game. Bad luck man.

Well, Rovers have made it 4 wins from their last 6 league games against the Trotters. That's made me feel just a little bit better ;).

But, to be honest, I would have been happy to see Rovers get caned if the Glory had managed to get through to the next round of the finals :ohwell:.

Archived