Aussies XLVIII

Stubby

Melbourne Storm, you dirty dirty bastards. What I don't get is if they had been breaching the salary cap for a few seasons wouldn't a lot of people know about it? It's pretty common knowledge what each individual player is getting paid and there is the salary cap, so a few additions should figure out who and who isn't breaching the cap.

Either way, couldn't of happened to a more deserving team. Suckers, apparently getting their Premiership taken from them.

It'll kill the storm I think.

I don't feel sorry for them although its not good for the NRL.

I imagine the group pushing to get the reds back into the NRL will be cheering though because there just could be a spot opening up... The reds should never have been cut, at the time they were the only expansion team making a profit.

I know about as much as everyone else at the moment. I just saw a friend who would know whats going on on facebook but he's a storm fan so its probably not the right time to be pumping him for info...

Melbourne Storm, you dirty dirty bastards. What I don't get is if they had been breaching the salary cap for a few seasons wouldn't a lot of people know about it? It's pretty common knowledge what each individual player is getting paid and there is the salary cap, so a few additions should figure out who and who isn't breaching the cap.

Either way, couldn't of happened to a more deserving team. Suckers, apparently getting their Premiership taken from them.

They're actually having both of their Premierships stripped, as well as the three minor premierships they won.

I also thought it was odd that no one noticed this was going on, especially given the amount of time that it's apparently been going on.

Definitely not good for the NRL.

Definitely not good for the NRL.

Or, possibly, for the Super 14 Melbourne franchise. I heard on Radio tonight that the alleged architect of the Storm deception is the current head honcho of the Melbourne bid to join that competition.

wow a whole thread for Aussie's! I didn't know there were so many Australian GRRM fans :D

Welcome :)

With the whole storm thing I'm willing to accept that maybe a few of them didn't know what was going on, the bottom feeders that weren't on big money basically.

The ones actually getting the extra money though would have to know theres a reason they are signing two contracts and being told that one of them is supposed to be a secret - even footballers aren't that stupid.

The storm were $700k over the cap just this year so splitting that money among the player and considering that a reasonable looking 'official' contract would have had to have been lodged with the NRL theres got to have been a lot of players who knew they were signing dodgy contracts.

My view (not at all influenced by my pro-Farah and anti-Smith and Ennis agenda) is that any player found to have knowingly signed two contracts should be stripped of their spot in the Australian rep team ;-)

wow a whole thread for Aussie's! I didn't know there were so many Australian GRRM fans :D

Yay, welcome!

re: the Storm.

I don't get it. And I mean that like an apology.

I don't understand how there are talks about stripping them of their Premierships over a money scandal. (I'm not sure if I'm wording this correctly.)

How does them getting more money affect them and their abilities against the other team on the Field. It isn't like rampant performance enhancing drug abuse. Could it be considered a fair and square winning. They went out and played the best game and this (pay cap..?)was going on behind the scenes.

Or is it a punishment thing. as in, you all did the wrong thing so we are taking this from you.

I don't watch or follow sport. (I know it's not obvious) So I'm actually really floored at the amount of anger being displayed in the media and by friends. Talks of betrayal and people even crying over it.

..I don't get it.

By breaking the rules on how much they could spend by such a huge amount the storm were able to keep a team with roughly double the amount of true elite level players that everyone else had.

So I guess if pumping the players full of roids would have made each of them play 20% better smashing the cap in this way has probably made the team at least 50% better than they would have been if they'd actually followed the rules.

Oh,OK. fair enough. I got the impression it was a pay thing. But The money was going to other things that improved their performance. that other teams couldn't have afforded.

is that right?

That does change the scope somewhat.

Yeah the salary cap just limits how much the clubs are allowed to pay their players. Its supposed to keep the competition somewhat even and stop idiot CEO's bankrupting their clubs by paying the players more than they can afford (this was actually a big issue pre-cap, half the clubs in the game were close to insolvent trying to keep up with the big spenders).

Melbourne have just been able to keep a better team than anyone else by ignoring the restrictions on how much they should be spending.

Thank you for explaining that to me.

I thought - breaching the pay cap meant. "You've been a great player, here's an under the table cash bonus. as incentive not to defect to another team"

Which I would say isn't fair but couldn't see how it was performance enhancing so much.

But now it is all clear :)

Saurian, you live in Australia, you know what sports mean to a lot of people here. I can understand Storm fans feeling betrayed and upset. After all, their team was just stripped of two premierships. Being a Geelong fan, if my team were stripped of the 2007 and 2009 flags for salary cap breaches, I would feel really hard done by as a long suffering fan.

Saurian, you live in Australia, you know what sports mean to a lot of people here. I can understand Storm fans feeling betrayed and upset. After all, their team was just stripped of two premierships. Being a Geelong fan, if my team were stripped of the 2007 and 2009 flags for salary cap breaches, I would feel really hard done by as a long suffering fan.

Oh yeah, I mean, the importance of sport to Aussies I get.

I just wasn't getting the gravity of the situation that warranted the reaction I was seeing. Hence the asking for clarity.

Sorry if I came across as undermining the situation.

Back story:

I grew up in a house that never had sports on. I was forbidden activities after school. because of religious beliefs pertaining more to association with others outside of the religion than anything against playing sports.

It was the same at other relatives and friends houses.

the most exposure I got was the Olympics. and wrestling or boxing that my grandfather taped and played just to piss off my bible bashing father.

And after leaving religion and home. Sports didn't enter into my field of interests. Just never came up as opposed to any kind of dislike.

So I'm not trying to be deliberately naive or offensive. Just seeking a little education I guess :)

Archived