Aussies XLVIII

Stubby

Happy new year from a guy who now days is mostly a semi-occasional lurker.

But I like that my thread is up to XLVIII! I figure about July 2010 we can celebrate this thread going for 10 years.

:smoking:

Yes! I remember posting on the original Aussies thread back in the Ezboard days. I reckon by now we are the oldest continuous thread on the board. Some threads might be bigger or longer but I'm pretty sure we're the oldest. Woo!

I can't believe the amount of silly phone calls I'm having to make. I knew that there would be a bit of a pain in making calls to set up the mortgage, landline, electricity, water, Internet and insurance on my newly-moved-into apartment. But the landline was messed up and I had to ring back for that, insurance was the wrong paperwork, and the Internet connection, after working brilliantly for two days, is now stuffed up.

I suspect it's due to a faulty modem. One of my friends brought his in and it worked fine on my computer. This modem runs very hot too...so I've found that if I suspend it in midair with a fan blowing on it, I can get about 10 minutes of working time out of it before the connection drops out. I can somewhat speed up the process by putting the modem in the freezer for a few minutes. But that's about it...and if I want a refund I have to drive over there so they can test that it's faulty and then they -might- replace it for me. They make the process so onerous and annoying I bet most people just go out and buy a new router and chuck the old one (which is probably what they want, so out of spite I think I'm just going to go through the age-long process). Rant over. ;)

Yes! I remember posting on the original Aussies thread back in the Ezboard days. I reckon by now we are the oldest continuous thread on the board. Some threads might be bigger or longer but I'm pretty sure we're the oldest. Woo!

I can't believe the amount of silly phone calls I'm having to make. I knew that there would be a bit of a pain in making calls to set up the mortgage, landline, electricity, water, Internet and insurance on my newly-moved-into apartment. But the landline was messed up and I had to ring back for that, insurance was the wrong paperwork, and the Internet connection, after working brilliantly for two days, is now stuffed up.

I suspect it's due to a faulty modem. One of my friends brought his in and it worked fine on my computer. This modem runs very hot too...so I've found that if I suspend it in midair with a fan blowing on it, I can get about 10 minutes of working time out of it before the connection drops out. I can somewhat speed up the process by putting the modem in the freezer for a few minutes. But that's about it...and if I want a refund I have to drive over there so they can test that it's faulty and then they -might- replace it for me. They make the process so onerous and annoying I bet most people just go out and buy a new router and chuck the old one (which is probably what they want, so out of spite I think I'm just going to go through the age-long process). Rant over. ;)

Phonelines and internet are the worse. I remember a few years back switching companies and it was a complete nightmare. Heaps ofstuff ups. Which mostly wouldn't have occurred if when I'd asked a simple question at the start they hadn't given me the wrong answer.

As to this thead, I know I started the first one in 2000 (last year of Uni), and I'm guessing it would have been roughly in July, although it could have been earlier in the year. I agree that I don't think there has been any other thread running that long.

How's Sherlock, OLP? I haven't been to the movies in ages and I've been thinking of catching one or two over the next couple of weeks.

Sorry mate, not here too often. If you haven't seen it already it's a good enough movie. Downey does a good job. Interesting that true to the fiction Holmes was a good fighter having done Bartitsu (actual real life older version of MMA) in London in the 1890s. However for the fight scenes Downey insisted that they be coreographed by his Wing Chun Sifu. He took it up to help him get through his addiction. Still looked cool and was funny.

Also saw the lovely bones on NYE which was good but I thought the ending could have been a little bit better.

I swear as much as Canberra can be boring it has it's advantages. I managed to get a parking spot in the CBD at 6pm and left after midnight with no real traffic.

Phonelines and internet are the worse. I remember a few years back switching companies and it was a complete nightmare. Heaps ofstuff ups. Which mostly wouldn't have occurred if when I'd asked a simple question at the start they hadn't given me the wrong answer.

Well I've changed internet ISPs twice, and both times it's been a breeze (Netspace and Internode). They simply churned me from the old network to the new one with no down-time at all. However, we recently tried to move to Optus because our phone line is with them so by taking on their dual internet/phone plan it would be cheaper overall, but the process to transfer the internet was so difficult with Optus we told them to forget it. They told us we'd be 2 or so weeks without internet while they'd transfer us which I find unbelievable seeing that Netspace and Internode could do it virtually instantly with zero down-time.

I suppose it can depend on the provider.

Well I've changed internet ISPs twice, and both times it's been a breeze (Netspace and Internode). They simply churned me from the old network to the new one with no down-time at all. However, we recently tried to move to Optus because our phone line is with them so by taking on their dual internet/phone plan it would be cheaper overall, but the process to transfer the internet was so difficult with Optus we told them to forget it. They told us we'd be 2 or so weeks without internet while they'd transfer us which I find unbelievable seeing that Netspace and Internode could do it virtually instantly with zero down-time.

I suppose it can depend on the provider.

We were changing from a phone/internet provider who used telstra lines to someone who used their own (I think it was iPrimus). I asked them whether or not when they came to switch something over we would still be able to use the phone. They said I would. Unfortunately, they should have said no, because that meant when the guy came out he didn't switch it off, which meant we couldn't get phone or internet. We were without both for weeks, while they arranged someone to come out and fix it, and then they tried to charge us for the lot.

Appealed with them, and got the money back. 6 months later.

Same whaling stuff as usual? Bob brown is fanning the flames of hatred a bit though, "The lawless Japanese whale killers are doing what they want in Australia's Antarctic Territory waters. The Rudd government threw in the towel at the outset," Senator Brown said.

Is anyone headed to Summernats in Canberra? Surely there must be some petrol heads amongst this liberal educated bunch? On the local news last night they were trying to present it as the "Family Friendly" summernats for the promoters who asked for that, then they interview one tossbag who says, "Yeah..burnouts and erh..boobs her her ha."

Allllright bring your kids. For those unawares a year or so back things reportedly got out of control and there were some incidents including a bunch of yobbs surrounding a 13-14 yo girl (don't know what she was doing there, tagging along with gfs to look grown up maybe) yelling show us yer tits. Canberra nearly got rid of it last year as the promoter was stuffed but another shonkey entrepeneur grabbed it. I used to love these things when I was 19-20 now I just see them for what they are and so does most of Canberra, it's a family city.

Same whaling stuff as usual? Bob brown is fanning the flames of hatred a bit though, "The lawless Japanese whale killers are doing what they want in Australia's Antarctic Territory waters. The Rudd government threw in the towel at the outset," Senator Brown said.

Is anyone headed to Summernats in Canberra? Surely there must be some petrol heads amongst this liberal educated bunch? On the local news last night they were trying to present it as the "Family Friendly" summernats for the promoters who asked for that, then they interview one tossbag who says, "Yeah..burnouts and erh..boobs her her ha."

Allllright bring your kids. For those unawares a year or so back things reportedly got out of control and there were some incidents including a bunch of yobbs surrounding a 13-14 yo girl (don't know what she was doing there, tagging along with gfs to look grown up maybe) yelling show us yer tits. Canberra nearly got rid of it last year as the promoter was stuffed but another shonkey entrepeneur grabbed it. I used to love these things when I was 19-20 now I just see them for what they are and so does most of Canberra, it's a family city.

I've been a Cnaberran my whole life, and I've never once been to Summernats. So....well....yeah....

Not suprised about that behaviour though, you just get that sort of lot at Summernats.

I take it parliment was not sitting?

I mean if they were all standing round yelling.....

:P

Well I finally bought an aircon, not that a prediction of a week of 40+ weather had anything to do with it.......

OLP why is Bob Brown laying it on a bit thick?

According to experts the Japanese whaling could be shut down via international courts in as little as a month.

That would certainly imply that their actions are lawless and the fact they want to hide it as "experiments" also implies the same thing.

I think it could sour international relations between Japan and Australia if we got whaling totally banned, even though I support such a ban on whaling except in actual experiments not the BS experiments that Japan is claiming it is doing.

Even if we go to international courts, Japan could ignore any judgment we get in international courts. Of course, we can then take any legal action within Australia against any Japanese government assets that are here or possibly register it overseas somewhere where we can get money.

I don't think however, an international court could allow us to legally ram or blow up the Japanese whaling ships. Perhaps we could board them with troops and if they resist it would be tantamount to a declaration of war.

In other news, I'm headed to the Australian Open Tennis Woot!

I just found out that gryphon strike and I studied at the same campus. I am amazed by the ever-increasing number of these little connections with people I meet online. :)

Whats got me shaking my head about whaling this time is the tactics of the anti-whalers. No maybe I couldn't come up with better ones, but driving a million dollar ship in front of a vessel five times her size is not a good idea.

Well I finally bought an aircon, not that a prediction of a week of 40+ weather had anything to do with it.......

OLP why is Bob Brown laying it on a bit thick?

According to experts the Japanese whaling could be shut down via international courts in as little as a month.

That would certainly imply that their actions are lawless and the fact they want to hide it as "experiments" also implies the same thing.

I meant the part wheere he says "Japanese whale killers" making it sound like every Jap is a whale muncher. I just thought he was mr racially sensitive.

In regard to your parliament jibe, I can't remember if I ever posted when my folks were in Canberra and I took them to see a sitting. There were some school kids there and they thought it was hilarious the way the pollies spoke out of turn etc etc when there own teachers were telling them to act like 'adults' and not do the same.

You guys seen this. I shouldn't be suprised really it is India. Indian newspaper depicts Aussie police as KKK

Hey Sh-wulf,

I hope the new cat brings some solace after the loss of your last aand under those circumstances.

Sio I have to ask where you discovered that?

Which campus are you studying at?

It is not a secret I aqm just wondering is all, I mean yeah I studied at both Mawson lakes university of SA campus and also at Adelaide Uni.

OI do have to agree that Bob Brown can be a tad theatrical?

Would that be the right term?

Still it seems to be better than the hyperbole from libs and labour at the moment, well practically everytime they open their mouths.

I just recently got back from a road trip to Scott's Head, Brisbane, Noosa Heads and then back to Surfers Paradise. The one thing it has taught me over two weeks of driving: Queenslanders really, REALLY suck at driving. No wonder! Trying to work our way north out of the centre of Brisbane and there are no signs on the side of the road telling you which road goes to which place.

Backwards state if you are asking me.

May it be noted I am a Novacastrian.

P.S: Brisbane has the best looking women for a city as a whole I have yet to see.

I just recently got back from a road trip to Scott's Head, Brisbane, Noosa Heads and then back to Surfers Paradise. The one thing it has taught me over two weeks of driving: Queenslanders really, REALLY suck at driving. No wonder! Trying to work our way north out of the centre of Brisbane and there are no signs on the side of the road telling you which road goes to which place.

Backwards state if you are asking me.

May it be noted I am a Novacastrian.

P.S: Brisbane has the best looking women for a city as a whole I have yet to see.

There are better places for example Adelaide and to be honest Perth also, but don't drive to adelaide we tend to get annoyed with new south welshman driving down the middle of two lanes :P

Honestly I think Adelaide has the worst roads of any city I have driven in.

Every city seems to think they have the worst drivers....until they come to Canberra.

I shit you not, at the police college you get recruits from numerous states and they're all told that they are now in a state with some of the worst drivers in the country. 'Worst' is a debatable term and maybe different states have certain features.

Here in Canberra you are welcomed to the city where indicating is optional as are speed limits and slowing down through roundabouts. There is a pretty good road system here and some of them have things too easily. You can get places without going through a red light at times and because of this Canberrans (natives) have never learned to wait. During the holiday season the NSW boys in blue have little jokes about pulling over ACT drivers on their highways. In fact it is proven that ACT drivers are represented disproportionally high in NSW road fines.

As for women...I work with guys who've been all over and it seems to be a toss up between Perth and Brisbane. It seems to be a weather issue, they're going to dress down a bit more. Canberra..errrr....

Archived