[Spoiler] Tyrion's Little Problem...

Ser Nevarc

This topic relies upon a few assumptions (call them hopes). But, assuming they make it to the aCoK season, after the Battle of the Blackwater, what will Dinklage do?

CGI effects?

Heavy Makeup?

or

Will they just changed the storyline to a more convenient wound, like a big scar?

If this detail got cut* from the television series, I don't think it would make a lot of difference. They could easily just have Tyrion get clobbered in battle without losing his nose. Maybe just give him a big ugly scar instead.

*no pun intended

I think the missing nose is absolutely critical to the scenes with Shae and Sansa. It's a horrible, horrible disfiguration and I don't want them to them to change. A big ugly scar would by no means compare to a missing nose.

The'll cover his nose with a little bit of green or blue makeup or a piece of fabric and digitally paint it out, same as they did when Vincent D'Onofrio played Pooh-Bear in "The Salton Sea" (great movie, by the way). To make things easier for production, so they don't have to paint out his nose through the rest of the entire series, they might let the screen version of Tyrion show a bit more vanity and get a gold prosthesis, a la Tycho Brahe (he is a Lannister, after all...gold would be appropriate). Unless there's a really strong reason why he wouldn't get that done, I think it would be a simple way to make that MUCH easier on the production.

They could even have a lot of fun with the gold nose falling out when he's supposed to bed Sansa, and she totally freaks out. Could be hilarious.

The'll cover his nose with a little bit of green or blue makeup or a piece of fabric and digitally paint it out, same as they did when Vincent D'Onofrio played Pooh-Bear in "The Salton Sea" (great movie, by the way). To make things easier for production, so they don't have to paint out his nose through the rest of the entire series, they might let the screen version of Tyrion show a bit more vanity and get a gold prosthesis, a la Tycho Brahe (he is a Lannister, after all...gold would be appropriate). Unless there's a really strong reason why he wouldn't get that done, I think it would be a simple way to make that MUCH easier on the production.

They could even have a lot of fun with the gold nose falling out when he's supposed to bed Sansa, and she totally freaks out. Could be hilarious.

Gold nose falling off would be hillarious. Reminds me of Nothing But Trouble where Dan Akroyd plays Judge Alvin 'J.P' Valkenheiser, a fella who had his nose replaced with the tip of his dong.

Also makes you think of how they would do Rorge as well because the Martinverse is full of noseless people.

Since I rarely remember to picture him without a nose, I don't think it'll be a big deal is they decide to save money by making it a horrible scar or something make-up related (instead of having to digitally remove his nose for 4 or 5 seasons).

That said, shouldn't we change the subject title to something less spoilery? I realize about everyone here has read all of the books, but there are people peeking in here (*coughcastmemberscough*) who haven't finished the books. Why spoil that for them?

Since I rarely remember to picture him without a nose, I don't think it'll be a big deal is they decide to save money by making it a horrible scar or something make-up related (instead of having to digitally remove his nose for 4 or 5 seasons).

Indeed. No big deal either way. Sansa would not react differently to Tyrion if he had a nose or a big scar.

First of all, to The Wedge... love your avatar... viva Senor Chang

And to Padraig... love yours too.

I have to admit, I too forget he's missing 3/4 of his nose and I think in TV we can still feel for Sansa marrying a midg- oops little person.

I painted his eyes once with the top of the scar showing 'cause I just can't figure out what he'd look like. Poor bastard. Oops, can't really call him a bastard now, can I? LOL!

If they go with a scar, it needs to be REAL ugly. Losing his nose is half of what makes Tyrion dip deeper into his self loathing and i think had something to do with some of his actions afterwards (like killing a particular person)...

GRRM's characters are deep, lets not forget. Tyrion already hates himself at the very beginning, getting even uglier does not help matters one bit.

Hollywood makeup artists are fucking magicians. I have a feeling that creating a noseless Tyrion will be a lot less cost than people are making it out to be (though it would no doubt make Mr. Dinklage's life a bit less pleasant, as it would probably mean a couple of extra hours in the makeup trailer every day).

I don't think the gold nose is a bad idea, though I'd hate to see it played for laughs. Maybe Sansa steels herself up to the point of removing the nose, but is so revolted by what she sees that she has to stop.

This is Edward and Tubbs from the League of Gentlemen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/content/images/2007/08/30/leagueofgentlemen2_396x222.jpg

A little more scarring on the nose and that's not too far out, is it?

http://www.timewarp.org.uk/lab/stevepemberton.jpg

That's Steve Pemberton out of costume.

http://www.topnews.in/files/images/Reece-Shearsmith1.jpg

And that's Reece Shearsmith. Who might be quite good in AGOT, now I think on.

Either way, I think it'll be OK. Scar or noseless. I personally think the scar-route will be the way they go. It's one thing to read about a dwarf who had his nose chopped off and quite another to have to watch it for a few years. It may turn some viewers off.

Regarding Sansa, Tyrion could be the most beautiful dwarf in the history of ever but she still would have been disgusted because he wasn't the tall, knight in shining armor that she had deluded herself into believing she would marry.

Regarding Sansa, Tyrion could be the most beautiful dwarf in the history of ever but she still would have been disgusted because he wasn't the tall, knight in shining armor that she had deluded herself into believing she would marry.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but didn't she consent to a marriage with Willas, a crippled man who wasn't a knight? And she realistically thought that he might not be handsome but that she didn't care? And didn't she wilt like a flower when offered a choice between Tyrion and Lancel (a good looking knight)?

And its moderately amusing that you don't want to see it on TV but have no problem speaking pejoratively of a 12 year old girl's revulsion.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but didn't she consent to a marriage with Willas, a crippled man who wasn't a knight? And she realistically thought that he might not be handsome but that she didn't care? And didn't she wilt like a flower when offered a choice between Tyrion and Lancel (a good looking knight)?

You're right about Willas, but he was also a member of the Tyrells, who had treated her kindly. She didn't care because she was getting out of King's Landing and away from the Lannisters. So I was partly wrong, yes.

But so are you. Lancel was anything but a good looking knight by time Cersei was done with him. He looks like an old, wilted man. Sansa wilted because both of her choices were Lannisters.

And its moderately amusing that you don't want to see it on TV but have no problem speaking pejoratively of a 12 year old girl's revulsion.

What's moderately amusing is how clueless you come across here regarding what I posted.

Actually there are quite a lot of disfigured characters all thru out the books. I am currently re-reading them and it seems nearly every other knight has some sort of nasty scar or missing appendage :) Make up is gonna have a lot to do on the series if picked up :)

I don't think the gold nose is a bad idea, though I'd hate to see it played for laughs. Maybe Sansa steels herself up to the point of removing the nose, but is so revolted by what she sees that she has to stop.

To be honest, I found the whole sequence pretty funny as it was, in the books. Darkly funny, but funny, so I don't have a problem with it being played up even more for humor's sake.

Archived