[Spoiler] Tyrion's Little Problem...

Ser Nevarc

While it would be sad to lose the lose of his nose, I can see the logical explanation behind doing so. Because the amount of CGI that would be required to do this well, coupled with how much screen time he has. What I would do is a huge scare across his face, maybe curl up a part of his lip and take out an eye. All of that would be really easy to accomplish with practical makeup effects. I just feel that it might work as well, and save a boat load of cash for other things.

Agree with Seanathin. While I'm not one for advocating changes to George's story ... visually, two nose-less people running around would be one too many.

If I had a vote (and I don't) I say keep Rorge hacked in that particular fashion and give Tyrion something different.

I'm thinking about the bottom line more than anything else. Something that can be done with prosthetics rather than expensive CGI is always best.

Plus, do we really want this?

While it would be sad to lose the lose of his nose, I can see the logical explanation behind doing so. Because the amount of CGI that would be required to do this well, coupled with how much screen time he has. What I would do is a huge scare across his face, maybe curl up a part of his lip and take out an eye. All of that would be really easy to accomplish with practical makeup effects. I just feel that it might work as well, and save a boat load of cash for other things.

Practical make-up effects can look astoundingly good, it's true, but remember, the price of doing great CGI effects has really come down a lot. Most of the cost of CGI is the processing time needed to render the frames. For Lord Of The Rings, it might have taken a full day on a multi-processor mainframe to render 1 second of MASSIVE footage for something like the battle of the Pellenor. But today, the same rendering can be done on a top-like desktop machine in an afternoon. Rendering one lack of nose on one actor's face is small cheese to even a semi-competent effects studio, and overall would probably save a hell of a lot of time on-set (30mins putting on green-screen makeup as opposed to 2-3 hours to put on and another 1-2 hours to take off prosthetics).

At the end of the day, I'm really not fussed whether they decide to go with Tyrion losing his nose or just getting a vicious scar, as long as whatever effect they go for looks convincing. Remember, a scar on a knight is usually held as being a symbol of honour, a sign that the knight has fought bravely and has earned his wounds in noble combat. On Tyrion, however, it is held as another point of ridicule, so whether it's a genuinely immense disfigurement such as losing a nose, or "just" a large ugly scar really doesn't matter in terms of Tyrion's reaction and other people's reactions to it.

Archived