a tiny part of me wishes it was going to be a film!

BigFatCoward

Don't get me wrong, I am over the moon that it may be being made as a TV series, it is the only way to do the books justice as I beleive for all its epic scale it is the plotting and the characterisation that sets ASOIAF apart from its rivals, it would even make a superb play. But I have just booked my tickets for Avatar at the Imax and can only imagine how excited I would be if I was going to see the first part of a trilogy or 5 part adaptation on a huge screen. Without giving any spoilers away, can you imagine the whispering wood, the blackwater or a flashback to the trident on a huge screen. I am just upgrading my TV to a pretty decent size with HD and surround sound etc but will it be big enough to do it justice? If it gets made A game of thrones should be awesome, but maybe 10% of me yearns for it to be in my face at the IMAX (if enough people were interested do you think they would show it 6 hours sat and 6 hours sunday with maybe a few of the cast doing Q and A afterwards, i saw season 5 of the wire like that, though not at the IMAX)

I can understand wanting to see the novels on the big screen. Imagine the battle of Blackwater.. But as you and Ran said, HBO is the absolutely only way to do the novels (and the full depth of the characters) justice. I would like to see the show on a gigantic TV though!

I would like a gigantic TV period. But honestly when you look at how much they cut out of simpler, shorter books to make them into movies, I would probably just get aggravated by an attempt at ASOIAF.

what is the biggest TV it is possible to have without being council/white trash? i'm going for 46" which is a lot bigger than my girlfriend thinks is acceptable.

does anybody have a friend with a proper home cinema system they could colanize?

Become friends with white trash so you don't have to buy the bling yourself! ;-p

I totally understand though, our flat screen is 19 inches I think, but for GoT I totally want to watch on the biggest, most vulgarly huge TV imaginable!

Three months ago we bought a 55-inch Sony Bravia that is almost TOO big (terrible problem to have, I know). We had to move our couches back a bit, and sometimes I still feel like I'm watching a tennis match - eyes back and forth, back and forth - though it's kind of cool being able to see every blade of grass on the tennis court.

But sweet Cersei will look so good.

Three months ago we bought a 55-inch Sony Bravia that is almost TOO big (terrible problem to have, I know). We had to move our couches back a bit, and sometimes I still feel like I'm watching a tennis match - eyes back and forth, back and forth - though it's kind of cool being able to see every blade of grass on the tennis court.

Hmmmm, where do you live? :P

When we built our 30'x15' sunroom, we knew we were going to live here, so a great couch, a 55" plasma, and surround sound were required. I rarely go out to movie theatres and am quite happy with the quality. Plus I make much better snacks, even if it's popcorn and we can drink beer. Blueray might be in our future however.

Our desks are in here and I used to telecommute often before I retired and my husband telecommutes full time.

When we built our 30'x15' sunroom, we knew we were going to live here, so a great couch, a 55" plasma, and surround sound were required. I rarely go out to movie theatres and am quite happy with the quality. Plus I make much better snacks, even if it's popcorn and we can drink beer. Blueray might be in our future however.

That sounds pretty sweet, if I knew right now the show was going to be picked up, I’d probably go over my girlfriends head and get the 63" TV I’ve had my eye on. It’s pricey, but it would pay for itself in the long run. I’d never leave the house again!

White trash for having a big TV? I don't know how that figures.

I have a friend who has a 52" TV and his dad owns a vinyard in Napa that produces very fine wine...doesn't strike me as the white trash type. That's just one example, though.

That sounds pretty sweet, if I knew right now the show was going to be picked up, I’d probably go over my girlfriends head and get the 63" TV I’ve had my eye on. It’s pricey, but it would pay for itself in the long run. I’d never leave the house again!

LOL, how true that last line is! I have a 55" Sony, sit back in the recliner with my feet up, snacks at hand, can watch instant movies via Netflix 24/7/365. Never leave the house unless I absolutely have to. ahhhhh, life IS good!

Party at Yea's house. I'll bring the fresh guac and beer. :D

I have a friend who has a 52" TV and his dad owns a vinyard in Napa that produces very fine wine...doesn't strike me as the white trash type. That's just one example, though.

It’s not just the big TV; it’s the correlation between the size of your living room/lounge and the size of your TV. In the UK especially a lot of very poor people have WTF TV's that take over the whole living room, that is the trashy part!

Post your address now. You owe it to the forum.

I'll probably end up watching it on my crappy old laptop, given the fact that I'm poor, live in tiny university accomodation and don't have a tv. And i aint paying the train ticket back to my parents house every friggin week.

If you have a film room- your probably Martin Scorsese or wealthy and therefore the room fits the screen. If you have a 500 square foot apartment or trailer, its going in the direction of absurd. :-/

Archived