A Certain Wedding

Andhaira

Assuming the series will get to season 3, when should they place the Red Wedding? IMO it should really be mid season, just like it is with the book. Then the rest of the season can deal with the fallout, again just like in the book. I hope they don't cop out and try to make it into a season finale or something like that.

Assuming the series will get to season 3, when should they place the Red Wedding? IMO it should really be mid season, just like it is with the book. Then the rest of the season can deal with the fallout, again just like in the book. I hope they don't cop out and try to make it into a season finale or something like that.

The Red Wedding is pp. 574-583 of 924 overall pages, or 62-63% of the way through the book. After it there are a high concentration of chapters on The Wall (fully half of Jon's 12 chapters, and 2/5 of Samwells, are in the last third of the book), many of which could be shifted prior to the RW without really changing anything. Daenerys's chapters can be thrown around pretty much anywhere, too (there are 2 of them post-RW), and you have the Arya chapters that are tied in, though most of what absolutely MUST happen post-RW happens in King's Landing (the Purple Wedding, Tyrion's Trial, The Duel, Sansa's escape, the Jaime stuff).

My guess is that the RW closes episode 10/13, the Purple Wedding closes 11/13, and the Oberyn/Gregor duel closes 12/13. It would definitely be unworkable as a season finale.

I don't think that the Red Wedding closing out season three is feasible (unless Parris gets her wish and SoS becomes two seasons). It could definitely be pushed back some, but not that far. As pinnicle as the Red Wedding may be, I think if we get to season three it will have more than enough exciting material to blow viewers out of the water with its finale without bringing in the Red Wedding. We get 'is their gold in the village', Tywin definitely not shitting gold, uncat, 'only Cat', Jon's election, Jaime's comissioning of Brienne, and hopefully a more detailed sacking of Meereen. That should be a pretty darn good episode if I do say so myself.

- Summer

There is no doubt in my mind that the only season finale can be the epilogue that's in the book. Uncat hanging Merrett sends chills down my spine almost every time. Add in Arya killing Polliver and leaving Sandor to die and then Jaime breaking Tyrion only to have him kill Tywin, and you have an incredible finale.

Red Wedding would make a good midseason finale if they split the season into two, though.

Parris said she'd love if book 3 was turned into 2 seasons of TV. Then the Red Wedding could be the season finale. :P

But unfortunately, like us, she is at the beck and call of ratings and TV executives.

And i'm not sure there is enough for 2 seasons anyhow.

If the show is a huge hit, I would not be at all surprised if Season 3 gets expanded to something like 15 episodes. 13 episode seasons for HBO is not unheard of at all, and a book as long as ASoS, with so much happening, I think could easily fill that many. In that case, the Red Wedding would happen around episode 9 or 10, unless they do what Ser G suggests and move some of Jon, Sam and Dany's stuff to before it, then it might happen in like 11 or even 12.

Being from a country where Storm is two books anyway (meaning the cast will be reading them like that), I can see splitting it. Or just doing what they did with OZ: Season One, Eight episodes. Season two, Eight episodes. Season three, Eight episodes. Season four, out of the blue Sixteen episodes.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would be a great way to end an episode, maybe 9ish. Because what is really interesting about the Red Wedding is not really the event but all the aftermath. And then then next episode would end up being the Purple wedding.

I know the timing doesn't work plot wise, but it would be awsome to see the two weddings intercut.

Are they really going to complete each book in a season? That seems like a quick pace, and will not allow for much character development.

Yes they plan to. They seem to get through a lot in the first proposed episode, so I think 12 episodes should cover aGoT. ASoS may be more difficult but they might be more creative with that book. Can put some of it in S4 (if we ever get that far). Or have an extra long season etc.

I know the timing doesn't work plot wise, but it would be awsome to see the two weddings intercut.

Nah. I think its best to have 2 huge episodes than have 1 even bigger episode. Although as you say, wouldn't happen anyhow. :)

There isn't enough material to turn ASoS into two 12-episode seasons, not without resorting to a lot of filler. What they could do is turn it into about 16 episodes, and either show it as one extra-long season or as two 8-episode seasons (The Tudors just did an 8-episode season as well), maybe separated by a year or maybe separated by six months or something (similar to the second season of BSG).

Are they really going to complete each book in a season? That seems like a quick pace, and will not allow for much character development.

To put this into context, they are taking each book and adapting it over 12 hours. That's half an hour longer than the combined run-time of all three Extended Editions of the Lord of the Rings movies, which had a decent amount of character development. ASoS is still slightly shorter than LotR (especially considering that the movies also adapted the part of the appendices dealing with Aragorn and Arwen, and made up a bunch of stuff not in the book as well), so even if they do have to 'cram' the whole book into 12 episodes I can see it being doable. You'd have an notably accelerated pace by that point, but the book has that anyway, and I don't think it hurt Rome's second season to have a faster pace than the first (some disagree), although Season 3 wouldn't need to be that faster paced.

One of the strengths I think the series has is that if it only lasts 1, 2 or whatever seasons and gets cancelled, they don't need to rush in an artificial ending as happened with Rome as they can just say, "The story continues in the books,"and leave it at that.

I think if any content would be move it would be things from SoS to ether season 2 or 4. Such as the battle at the fist of the first men would be great at the end of Season 2, its all cliff hangery. And some of Sana in the vale from Sos would go good in the first bit of Season 4. Though this could all change once we see DoD, knowing that HBO is going to combine that with aFFC to make two seasons.

If they split the books in multiple seasons at the end Rickon will look like the typical shaved seven year old boy.

If there is any character that can be recast, I think its Rickon.

Anyhow, the timeline in the TV series may be somewhat different. Events might stretch over a longer timespan. So instead of the first 2 books taking place over a 2 year period, they take 3 years.

Archived