Westeros Blog: Peter O'Meara Hopeful for HBO's Game of Thrones

Westeros

Via the A Song of Ice and Fire forum, we learn that Irish actor Peter O’Meara seems to hope that he’ll be involved in Game of Thrones next year via this press release that’s making the rounds.

Over at Winter is Coming, speculation runs that O’Meara auditioned for a role in the pilot and was passed over, but has been told by the casting director and/or producers they have in mind for another role if HBO greenlights the series. O’Meara, a veteran of film and television productions, has been associated with HBO producitons before—he had a role in the acclaimed miniseries, Band of Brothers, as 1st Lieutenant Norman Dike.

Visit the Site!

Not really sure who he can be. He's too old for Renly or Beric, too young for Barristan, too bulky for Littlefinger...

Perhaps Ser Alliser Thorne? Or Thoros of Myr. Ilyn Payne I guess could work too...but perhaps he's too bulky for the gaunt executioner, too.

Kyle over at my blog made a nice catch. There seems to be two versions of O'Meara's quote floating around. The one from EarthTimes that maxlongstreet originally linked to over in the Casting forum:

Well, it may involve a Game of Thrones. Nothing definite but my fingers are certainly crossed.

And then this one, from PRWeb, which EarthTimes lists as its source for their article:

Well, I love the David Benioff script for Game of Thrones. He's a genius writer. His 'City of Thieves' is my favourite novel of the last ten years. If I have a career wish its to join the world of fire and ice he's creating with HBO. Fingers crossed.

The second one sounds more like he is just a fan of Benioff, and maybe even the books themselves, and is hoping to get a shot at a role in the series. Not that he has already been promised something. If that second quote is the correct one, I am going to have to retract my previous speculation that O'Meara will be offered a role in the series contingent on it getting the greenlight.

Oooh, interesting. I did not check out the PR web article. Huh. I can't help but think that he probably did audition, though, but yeah, maybe it's too much to speculate that he's in consideration for a role if it goes forward... Hrm.

Oooh, interesting. I did not check out the PR web article. Huh. I can't help but think that he probably did audition, though, but yeah, maybe it's too much to speculate that he's in consideration for a role if it goes forward... Hrm.

I linked to the PRWeb article in my post, but I didn't fully read it. I assumed it was just a copy-paste job by EarthTimes. Very strange that EarthTimes changed the quote around so drastically.

One thing we know for sure is that O'Meara has read the pilot script. Whether that was because he auditioned or just because he is a fan of Benioff or a fan of the books is unclear. It seems he has some familiarity with the books though, since he mentions "fire and ice" which is a theme that is tied solely to the books, at this point.

Either way, I suspect he has a good shot at getting a role in the series based on his level of interest in the project and the fact that he has worked for HBO before.

Archived