The Game of Thrones TV Adaptation FAQ

Werthead

HBO tends to not cancel shows after just one season ... but they have done it, I believe, and they certainly have not made a public commitment to giving it more than one season. So I wouldn't hold my breath that it's absolutely assured a second season. It's quite probable, of course, but ... it all depends on whether it gets subscribers, viewers, and buzz.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

just wondering if there is any news regarding who will be soundtracking the series?

if the budget/timing permitted, i'd swoon if bear mccreary was given the job...loved his work on battlestar galactica and the sarah connor chronicals....his ability to work with a wide set of cultural instruments and vocalists would just add further to a sense of otherworldliness (whether transitioning from different Westeros areas, or over to the Free Cities)... then there are his amazing, dramatic battle scores...

Last I checked, no decision was yet made. What I've been told is that they tend to make those decisions when a production is further along. For example, McCreary was announced in July as the composer for The Walking Dead, which will debut in October. Of course, the first season is just six episodes. I suspect the Game of Thrones composer is likely to be announced no earlier than November, and perhaps as late as January.

McCreary is already handling ... what, three different shows right now? No, four I guess: The Walking Dead, Eureka, The Human Target, and Caprica I'm not sure if he could fit another into his schedule (of course, if Caprica is cancelled after one season, then it's rather moot).

GRRM has said they had completed interviews with a select list of composers, so the decision would be drawn from that particular pool. We have no idea who was invited to talk with the production. A common speculation is that we're going to see an HBO veteran selected. HBO seems to like doing that.

• 1 month later...

Erk. That's ... odd.

ETA: Hrm... I managed editing it without a problem. Could just be my admin status, though.

Could you try clearing cache, restarting the browser, and trying again? And if that doesn't work, what browser and version are you using, and are you using the quick edit or the full edit?

Edited by Ran

Firefox, latest version. Cleared cache and history, restarted browser, restarted computer, tried it on quick and full edit. No joy. Maybe the edits are taking the post over the maximum character limit?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally managed to update the post by deleting the old, out-of-date material first.

When can we expect the series to be available on DVD?

I think usually it's available right after the last episode airs. So call it July or maybe early August.

Not with HBO. They take a lot longer to release their shows on DVD, sometimes not until just before the next season is due to start airing. This is even more pronounced in other countries: True Blood Season 2 only came out on DVD in the UK a couple of months ago, and S3 is not due until late next year.

• 4 weeks later...