Guy Gavriel Kay

Alexia

I don't think GGK sticks things in by narratorial-fiat all that much, tbh - its not like he goes "Then Devan ran into Alessan, who was the coolest guy in the whole world." He does work from POV's, he just doesn't carry them through and he expects us to 'trust them' in a way GRRM doesn't. It's "Devan ran into Alessan, and realized that he thought he was the coolest guy in the world," but we never see Alessan do anything to justify that opinion, NOR do I ever get a sense that maybe the slavish hero worship on Devan's part is indicative of his own loneliness or lack of a father figure or whatever and his opinions to be taken with a grain of salt. I find the latter more annoying actually, the former - a narrator with opinions - has a kind of fun appeal sometimes. The latter is just cheating.

I can definitely understand that. I was just wondering how you perceived the way that GGK tells vs the way that GRRM does. But again, in the end we all just have our differences in opinion. Thankfully. lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Met him today at the book-signing in my hometown Šibenik :smoking:

I can only say what a nice, down to earth gentleman.

He went as far to point how in Croatian's edition of Tigana all characters mouths are covered with this or that, hinting at how it is forbidden to mention the name...

And said how pleasantly surprised he was by work of a Croatian illustrator :bowdown:

10268--MX0001.JPG

I enjoyd Sarantine mosaic a lot.Im from Serbia and as we was once part of Byzante,we know a lot of its history so it was realy fun to read of people and events you know of in a diferent perspective.

I also loved Tigana,and I realy loved the authors fresh,new idea to finish his story in one book :rolleyes:

Archived