A Thread for Small Questions II

Werthead

Nope. Selyse is specifically mentioned in ASoS as being at Eastwatch, and this is confirmed in the appendix to AFfC. No reason to think they both travelled to the Wall and left Shireen behind (and in fact, Shireen may be mentioned as being at Eastwatch as well in ASoS, can't recall).

Nope. Selyse is specifically mentioned in ASoS as being at Eastwatch, and this is confirmed in the appendix to AFfC. No reason to think they both travelled to the Wall and left Shireen behind (and in fact, Shireen may be mentioned as being at Eastwatch as well in ASoS, can't recall).

Thanks, Ran. I kept wondering what had happened to her after Loras took Dragonstone!

Tywin has never named anyone else his heir. More importantly, I think you're thinking of the reference to Jaime inheriting the office of Warden of the West. But that's a royal office, not lands or a title, and so there's nothing to say that in theory Jaime could not hold it. Much as Ryam Redwyne held the office of Hand of the King.

Right. Because Tywin has never said differently. As GRRM has said, he lived in denial on that point. If you re-read ASoS, in Tyrion's first chapter he demands his father stop holding out hope that Jaime could be his heir, and finally officially name him heir.

"Warden of the West" sure sounds like a title to me.

But then, a vow is only as good as the people involved treat it. Neither Robert nor Jaime cared if Jaime was given titles, and Tywin was in denial--although the fact of his being in denial after over a decade makes me wonder if one can be absolved of the KG oaths? We know there was no custom of kicking them out, but Tywin's too smart to spend something like 16 years pretending it's not a life sentence when it is.

But then, maybe he was hoping that before he died, Tommen would be of age, so he could pass right over Tyrion and give the Rock to his grandson. He was healthy, so he very well could have seen the title of "heir" as simply a formality--but one he wouldn't grant Tyrion.

It's the title of a royal office. It's not a noble title.

When Ned and Robert are discussing the matter, Ned hopes the honor will be restored to Robert when he's of age, and Robert says:

"Enough of this. There is a more important office [the Hand]..."

Which makes it pretty plain that the Wardenship is an office, it seems to me, and it's one which the king can pass around if he likes. Of course, the standard has been that no, it's a hereditary office because it makes sense that the Warden of the West or Warden of the East is the greatest magnate within that ward. But it's still just a royal office, much like the Hand.

Hey guys, I just finished a Storm of Swords and just have a few minor questions.

1) Exactly who knows that Jamie was the one that pushed Bran off the windowsill?

2) How did Lady Whent lose Harrenhal?

3) Whats the general history of the First Men, the Andals, and Aegon the Conquerer? Which brought what religion?

1) Exactly who knows that Jamie was the one that pushed Bran off the windowsill?
Jaime, Cersei, Brienne, Catelyn, presumably the whole Brotherhood Without Banners, and Bran.

Oh, and Tyrion has suspicions.

2) How did Lady Whent lose Harrenhal?
Tywin arrived, and she fled.

3) Whats the general history of the First Men, the Andals, and Aegon the Conquerer? Which brought what religion?
First men arrived, fought then mixed with children of the Forest and adopted their weirwood religion, then Andals came from the south with fire and steel and brought the religion of the seven, this was a long time ago, and in recent times, the doom of Valyria happened, some Targaryen expats sat one century or so in Dragonstone with their dragons, then 300 years before now Aegon and sisters decided to take control, and he invaded.

Bran hasn't yet allowed himself to remember that Jaime pushed him, so he doesn't really know. Tyrion suspects, although he doesn't really know either.

The smallest of small questions: anybody else think Rhaenys's kitten Balerion grew up to be the nasty tom cat Arya chased around the Red Keep? I realize the chance of a cat surviving 14 years in real life with no vet care and fending for itself among so many other animals is minimal, but it would be symbolic'n'stuff.

We even see this, with Jon assisting him at one point. Besides that, one supposes he could use vices or clamps to help hold things steady on occasion. But mostly, I guess he'd just use recruits or stewards to help him out.

Archived