A Thread for Small Questions II

Werthead

Is it still fiercely debated about what happened to Balon?

I just reached this part in ASoS which seemed very interesting:

"I dreamt of a man without a face, waiting on a bridge that swayed and swung. On his shoulder perched a drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings."

Spoken by the 'ghost' of High Heart in the same bit where she prophecises Catelyn's fate and also correctly states that a shadow born of R'hllor killed Renly. This leads me to conclude that a Faceless Man in Euron's employ did indeed kill Balon before the former returned to Pyke. I know that this was a very popular theory, but I'd forgotten there was this piece of evidence backing it up.

A question regarding Westerosi measurements:

How much weight is a "stone".

For example, "_________ weighed fifteen stone!"

A stone in the books is presumably what a stone is in real life. About 14 pounds or 6.3 kg.

during the kingsmoot in AFFC some low ranked iron men house calimed they know of great lands bla bla

did they mean the eastern shore of the eatern continent or a entire continent we have yet to have heard of?

Tyrion's wildlings were hated by the civilians in Kings Landing. Was it simply because the people were bigots and the wildlings were different, or were the wildlings raping and murdering at their leisure?

Timett killed a guy for allegedly cheating at dices. And got away with it. Shagga (I quote) "wants every whore in this city of whores". Tyrion thinks: And why would I ever need your Allar Deem, Lord Slynt? Tyrion thought. I have a hundred of my own. (Deem is the guy who killed Barra and her mother iirc)

I don't think they were murdering and raping at their leisure, but then again even Gregor's men are not raping and murdering at their leisure. They are just scum. It's not all culture shock, they deserve being hated.

during the kingsmoot in AFFC some low ranked iron men house calimed they know of great lands bla bla

did they mean the eastern shore of the eatern continent or a entire continent we have yet to have heard of?

We do not know. They could be telling fairy tales, they may believe in a western passage to the lands of the Jade Sea ans Asshai by Shadow, they could be talking about undiscovered lands.

GRRM has said that no one has yet sailed across the Sunset Sea.

I don't think they were murdering and raping at their leisure, but then again even Gregor's men are not raping and murdering at their leisure. They are just scum. It's not all culture shock, they deserve being hated.

Leisure was of course a mild exaggeration but I thought so. I'd forgotten the whores comment but I definitely had the sense that criminal acts were being committed, especially since Ser Jacelyn tells Tyrion that the Kings Landers say that he's loosed savages on them and the people threw dung at them while they were being chased off.

Timett killed a guy for allegedly cheating at dices. And got away with it. Shagga (I quote) "wants every whore in this city of whores". Tyrion thinks: And why would I ever need your Allar Deem, Lord Slynt? Tyrion thought. I have a hundred of my own. (Deem is the guy who killed Barra and her mother iirc)

I always thought that Tyrion was referring to Bronn and his mercenaries rather than to the wildlings.

I always thought that Tyrion was referring to Bronn and his mercenaries rather than to the wildlings.

I agree, tyrion is thinking of Bron. Remeber Bron would not kill a babe at a mother's breast without question, he's ask how much.

Do the books ever mention when Bronn starts hiring his mercenaries? That was one of Tyrion's very first chapters (maybe the second?) and I didn't think Bronn had hired his sellswords yet.

Tyrion is obviously thinking of Bronn but I also thought the 100 referred to the rest of his sworn men who were the wildlings at the time, no?

Do the books ever mention when Bronn starts hiring his mercenaries? That was one of Tyrion's very first chapters (maybe the second?) and I didn't think Bronn had hired his sellswords yet.

Tyrion is obviously thinking of Bronn but I also thought the 100 referred to the rest of his sworn men who were the wildlings at the time, no?

I could be mistaken, but I guess it was after Tyrion asked Bronn about hiring those mercenaries; "if one of them kills me, you will know that's the man you're looking for" or something like that.

I thought so too - he's definitely thinking of Timmett in particular. Though I think he had some more positive views of some of them, like Chella. (I wonder if they'll ever turn up again - they're supposed to have melted away into the Kingswood.)

how did the poorly equiped mountain clans survived 8000 years in the shadow of the arynns?

I would assume soem vale king must have set out to root them at osme point in time

really harsh terrain that no one much wanted, i think. its a huge area with only one road! Maybe its even nominally owned by some vale houses, on paper, but they can't levy taxes and they can't plant anything there, so why bother?

The Vale also seems to be a bit isolationist, and what trade it has goes by sea through Gulltown, so that one road being 'guarded' by the clansmen probably works for them as just another informal aspect of their defence strategy.

Look at our own history. Fierce independent tribals in mountainous areas -- Afghanistan, say -- are the subject of attempts to root them out of the mountains and/or "civilize" them for centuries, and generally it doesn't work.

Look at our own history. Fierce independent tribals in mountainous areas -- Afghanistan, say -- are the subject of attempts to root them out of the mountains and/or "civilize" them for centuries, and generally it doesn't work.

True, the Scotts are another fine example.

I think they were OK with the clans just as long they did not cause too much trouble. Also, I think the Targs liked the idea of some clans giving the Arynns trouble in the mountains especially once they lost their dragons. If the Arynns rebelled, it would be hard if not imposable for the Targs to take them back. With the clans there too help, the Targs could keep an eye on the Arynns.

Archived