A Thread for Small Questions II

Werthead

Question (which may be covered elsewhere if so please point):

If Tommen's parentage is discovered, and it's evident that he's not Robert's heir and shouldn't really be King (and is subsequently ousted), would that invalidate any of the decrees he's made since he became King? (such as legitimizing Ramsay Bolton, bringing back the Faith Militant etc). Or is the crown the important part, so that after he's crowned he IS the King and that's that? So whatever he does As King stands, and cannot be changed or overturned except by the next King?

Another question:

In AFfC, Arya hears Dareon sing a song about "a stupid lady who jumped from a stupid tower because her stupid prince was killed". Is this the song of Jenny and her Prince? I don't recall any hints about Jenny killing herself from the times Tom sang it for the ghost of high heart. Or could it refer to Ashara Dayne? She was a lady and jumped from a tower, but so far there have been no hints of her story involving a dead prince^^.

Is it possible that the name Arya actually derives from "Arryn" (in Westeros, not on earth^^)? I thought it might be a name in the tradition of Lanna or Barra.

Since it seems that some of the Stark children were named after famous figures, but not directly, only in variations (Robb instead of Robert, Rickon instead of Rickard), Arya would fit right in.

Definitely a possibility - all the Starks are named for the older generation - Robb/Robert, Bran/don, Rickon/Rickard, Sansa possibly for Catelyns mother Minisa. Arryn would seem to already by covered by Jon though. (then again, we have no idea who named him.)

Or Arya could be for Lyanna (a bit of a strech) or Ned's currently nameless mother. (Aryanna?)

If Tommen's parentage is discovered, and it's evident that he's not Robert's heir and shouldn't really be King (and is subsequently ousted), would that invalidate any of the decrees he's made since he became King? (such as legitimizing Ramsay Bolton, bringing back the Faith Militant etc). Or is the crown the important part, so that after he's crowned he IS the King and that's that? So whatever he does As King stands, and cannot be changed or overturned except by the next King?

This is entirely unclear. Philosophically, at least some strands of MartinLand thought appear to value the crown above anything else, see Melisandres willingness to accept that anyone who calls himself a king will have the associated mystical properties, regardless of bloodline. If she's correct, then its literally built into the DNA of the universe, presumably, that a crown is a crown is a crown.

Legally, who knows? Was Robert himself a legitimate king? How about Robb, or Balon, or Renly? Those that have an interest in it will argue one way, those that don't will argue the other, and westerosi law is moot on the point that we know of, and no one ever tries to recourse to it that I can remember either.

Liliedhe, I kind of doubt it was Jenny of Oldstones. Jenny was a common woman IIRC, and the lady in the tower motif is more reserved for the genteel. But that's just my guess. I think the song would have to be about someone dead long enough to have passed into legend.

Where in the book are the refrences to Ser Loras and Renly's homosexual relationship? Just wondering because I didn't notice it the first time I read through and would like to see some direct quotes from the book rather than just a GRRM confirmation.

Edit, nevermind I found a site that has all the quotes.

Archived