A Thread for Small Questions II

Werthead

You have a number of options:

1. plunge a newly forged sword into your lovers heart

2. the tears of lys

3. if you can't lead the van (read the book first) insist on dressing your beloved for battle (turning the pages)

4. put something in her wine that keeps her indisposed

5. buy two copies of the book. The things you'll do for love.

All perfectly valid, but I have an option 6 to recommend - READ TO EACH OTHER. I've read the books to both of my adult kids and it's great.

Or an option 7: audio books. Reading aloud tends to make my throat dry out; I wouldn't be able to keep it up for long. Let Roy Dotrice do the work for you. :thumbsup:

Or an option 7: audio books. Reading aloud tends to make my throat dry out; I wouldn't be able to keep it up for long. Let Roy Dotrice do the work for you. :thumbsup:

Unfortunatly we can expect to wait about 2 years extra for the audio book.

Also Yay on the series Green Light and Yay on 50 more pages!

Unfortunatly we can expect to wait about 2 years extra for the audio book.

I thought they usually try to release the audio book and the hardcover at the same time? :dunno:

If not, I'd just go for the option of thrusting a newly forged sword into your lover's heart. :D

Two years? No, the audio books come out not very long after the published book. Bantam rushes them into production (it's why Dotrice did not read AFfC, because the turnaround time was so tight and he had prior commitments).

Do maesters always keep their first names? Do we know if sometimes they take new names, or even keep their family names?

To date, the only maester whose family name we have learned was Maester Aemon. If he didn't take a new name, when it might have been expedient for him to, then I think it is unlikely that others would.

Of course, among acolytes there is Alleras, but that is because Sarella Sand could not have enrolled in the Citadel under her own identity.

Two years? No, the audio books come out not very long after the published book. Bantam rushes them into production (it's why Dotrice did not read AFfC, because the turnaround time was so tight and he had prior commitments).

My bad, I was just going off of what was being said about the new D&E story.

Guest Other-in-Law

To date, the only maester whose family name we have learned was Maester Aemon.

Actually, there are other maesters in both the Frey and Tyrell family trees.

We both like print better than listening to anyone read...

Ahhh... it's a lost art. I guess I'm old, but there is nothing like having your daughter punch you in the arm when you read the Arya chapter where Ned loses his head, or have her throw something at your head when you read the Red Wedding! "Why did you get me hooked to these awful books, Dad!" The family that cries together over ASoI&F chapters, stays together! :o

btw, both of my kids love the books. ;)

He's introduced in the second Dunk & Egg novella, "The Sworn Sword", as one of King Aegon IV's Great Bastards. His mother was one of his mistresses, Mysella Blackwood. Bloodraven was born an albino, and had a birthmark on his cheek that sort of looked like a raven, and hence the byname. He would come to support his half-brother (or maybe cousin, depending on who you believe) Daeron the Good against his half-brother Daemon Blackfyre, and would rise to become Hand of the King under Daeron the Good's successor.

His lover was Shiera Seastar, another of Aegon's bastards (and therefore his half-sister), it was rumored they dabbled in sorcery, and also he was said to have a remarkable network of informants. Prince Maekar didn't care for him at all, and stayed away from court because of him.

What more ... oh, he lost an eye to Bittersteel and he carried the Valyrian steel sword, Dark Sister, which used to be carried by Prince Aemon the Dragonknight. Also, supposed to be quite deadly with a weirwood longbow. And as we see in AFfC, King Aegon V the Unlikely released him and sent him to the Wall in Maester Aemon's company. He would eventually become Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

He's introduced in the second Dunk & Egg novella, "The Sworn Sword", as one of King Aegon IV's Great Bastards. His mother was one of his mistresses, Mysella Blackwood. Bloodraven was born an albino, and had a birthmark on his cheek that sort of looked like a raven, and hence the byname. He would come to support his half-brother (or maybe cousin, depending on who you believe) Daeron the Good against his half-brother Daemon Blackfyre, and would rise to become Hand of the King under Daeron the Good's successor.

His lover was Shiera Seastar, another of Aegon's bastards (and therefore his half-sister), it was rumored they dabbled in sorcery, and also he was said to have a remarkable network of informants. Prince Maekar didn't care for him at all, and stayed away from court because of him.

What more ... oh, he lost an eye to Bittersteel and he carried the Valyrian steel sword, Dark Sister, which used to be carried by Prince Aemon the Dragonknight. Also, supposed to be quite deadly with a weirwood longbow. And as we see in AFfC, King Aegon V the Unlikely released him and sent him to the Wall in Maester Aemon's company. He would eventually become Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

.... and he knows all of that off the top of his head ;)

Who is Ned's mother? I thought she was a Flint but got corrected that the Flint was his grandmother? Tower of the Hand family trees are no help either way.

Thanks!

Archived