A Thread for Small Questions II

Werthead

He is fully aware, though he never says where exactly his sure knowledge is from. He first clearly expresses it, I believe, in ACoK as far as I can recall. It may well be that it just made sense to him after Stannis sent out his accusations, but it feels like he had already come to that conclusion before that time. Perhaps, given his learning, it's the coloring of the children that did it. Or maybe just his intimate knowledge of both his siblings -- without his father's wilful blindness and lordly distance -- allowed him to see it, much as Kevan seems to have known all along.

I always thought he knew all along. Since he was plainly aware all along that Cersei was cuckolding Robert with Jaime (he mocks her with that in his first ACOK chapter) I figured that he just looked at the babes and realized that 2+2=4, as Varys did.

I always thought he knew all along. Since he was plainly aware all along that Cersei was cuckolding Robert with Jaime (he mocks her with that in his first ACOK chapter) I figured that he just looked at the babes and realized that 2+2=4, as Varys did.

That makes sense to me, as does Ran's answer.... I just wonder if we know definitively, or if GRRM's left the door open there.

From the beginning of AGOT:

<Catelyn had no love for swords, but she could not deny that Ice had its own beauty. It had been forged in Valyria, before the Doom had come to the old Freehold, when the ironsmiths had worked their metal with spells as well as hammers. Four hundred years old it was, and as sharp as the day it was forged. The name it bore was older still, a legacy from the age of heroes, when the Starks were Kings in the North.

That may just indicate that Starks had once had an ancient sword with its origin even still from the days of Brandon the Builder.

BTW the Smith being also one of the reincarnations of the Seven has something to do with building and creation. (IIRC direct reference is made in the lullaby that Sam sang to Gillie*s baby). I would not be many surprised if Brandon the Builder was also skilled grand master armourer (esp. of magical weapons). Then once again we have that AA/ Nissa-Nissa legend and Yggrite mentioning that the Ice is made o* blood.

Leaving all speculations aside that at least means that <Ice> element is (was) as important for the Starks as the Fire is considered almost innate and trade mark for Targs. However Targs still have their dragons. Could the Starks have something more than direwolves then?

I would appreciate any more sober minded explanations of the Catelyn*s words as quoted above or even better some speculations as well.

1. The girl that marries Ramsay is Jeyne Pool isnt she?

2. Has anybody a theory why Arya cant warg when shes blind?

1. That's the common consensus.

2. I don't know if there is a consensus here. The passage is pretty vague -- I'm not even sure it's true that she can't warg. I would guess that her dreams have changed because she is in some way no longer Arya Stark.

Guest Other-in-Law

From the beginning of AGOT:

<Catelyn had no love for swords, but she could not deny that Ice had its own beauty. It had been forged in Valyria, before the Doom had come to the old Freehold, when the ironsmiths had worked their metal with spells as well as hammers. Four hundred years old it was, and as sharp as the day it was forged. The name it bore was older still, a legacy from the age of heroes, when the Starks were Kings in the North.

That may just indicate that Starks had once had an ancient sword with its origin even still from the days of Brandon the Builder.

I would appreciate any more sober minded explanations of the Catelyn*s words as quoted above or even better some speculations as well.

The theory has been tossed out the the first Ice was an Other's sword that the earliest Starks managed to get their hands on. Make of it what you will.

i just finished a jaime chapter toward the 700ish page mark of AFFC. he talks to edmure about the seige of riverrun. then when he leaves he tells a singer to sing a certain song. and the singer says "the one about the rain?" edmure says "no. no, please, not him." why not that singer? it confused me.

The singer is in fact Tom o' Sevens. As we learned in ASoS, Tom ended up sleeping with a woman that Edmure had fancied, but had gotten too drunk to do the deed with. Afterward, Tom created and sang a song about a "floppy fish". Edmure's hated singers ever since, and Tom first and foremost.

So that's why. :)

Is there any indication in the books how much time passes between Ned and company arriving at the tower of joy, the fight with the Kingsguard and Lyanna dying?

To me it always seemed that it wasn't much, just an hour or two maybe, but I honestly couldn't say if this was based on the text or just an impression I had. I don't have my copy of AGoT atm, so I can't check. There was something of Ned pulling down the tower to erect cairns, but I don't remember if there was a mention of the time that passed.

It's this one if you're having trouble finding it.

ok i think i remember now. thanks. am i right in assuming that when someone asked about the hound sacking some town and the answer was a woman was with him that did most of the damage, is that a raised from the dead cat?

1. The girl that marries Ramsay is Jeyne Pool isnt she?

2. Has anybody a theory why Arya cant warg when shes blind?

1. is that the common consensus? i've never thought that she was jeyne poole, didn't they say she was just a commoner? jeyne poole would know way too much information and was sansa's friend, so i don't think that she would willingly pretend to be arya stark. whatever happened to jeyne is still a mystery as far as i can see. i might be wrong tho

ok i think i remember now. thanks. am i right in assuming that when someone asked about the hound sacking some town and the answer was a woman was with him that did most of the damage, is that a raised from the dead cat?

I don't recall that passage exactly. It sounds like it was from the end of AFfC after Lem Lemoncloak had taken possession of the Hound's houndshead helm (after Brienne killed its former wearer, Rorge).

1. is that the common consensus? i've never thought that she was jeyne poole, didn't they say she was just a commoner? jeyne poole would know way too much information and was sansa's friend, so i don't think that she would willingly pretend to be arya stark. whatever happened to jeyne is still a mystery as far as i can see. i might be wrong tho

Okay, well, I can't say that I've taken a straw poll, but it was my impression that it was a widely held opinion. Here is a nice presentation of the relevant information. If Littlefinger can scare Sansa into being Alayne, I'd imagine he (along with the Boltons) wouldn't have much trouble scaring Jeyne into being Arya (it's a station in life high above anything she could have hoped for any way).

Now I have a question.

Has anyone compiled a list of Night's Watch members confirmed or strongly believed to have supported Aerys during Robert's rebellion and taken the black after Robert's coronation? The only one I know for sure is Ser Alliser Thorne, though I suspect many of the older knights (the most competent Night's Watch members) joined in this way.

I don't recall that passage exactly. It sounds like it was from the end of AFfC after Lem Lemoncloak had taken possession of the Hound's houndshead helm (after Brienne killed its former wearer, Rorge).

Okay, well, I can't say that I've taken a straw poll, but it was my impression that it was a widely held opinion. Here is a nice presentation of the relevant information. If Littlefinger can scare Sansa into being Alayne, I'd imagine he (along with the Boltons) wouldn't have much trouble scaring Jeyne into being Arya (it's a station in life high above anything she could have hoped for any way).

Now I have a question.

Has anyone compiled a list of Night's Watch members confirmed or strongly believed to have supported Aerys during Robert's rebellion and taken the black after Robert's coronation? The only one I know for sure is Ser Alliser Thorne, though I suspect many of the older knights (the most competent Night's Watch members) joined in this way.

that's about where i am now. it was a little bit before that. i forget who said it. am i right at all in assuming that catelyn is "alive" again?

Ser Jaremy Rykker for one, as he fought on the walls of King's Landing alongside Thorne.

Egg is Aegon V Targaryen, also known as Aegon the Unlikely because he became king despite having three older brothers (one of whom was our Aemon). You may read some of Egg's adventures in GRRM's Hedge Knight short stories.

Egg is Aegon V Targaryen, also known as Aegon the Unlikely because he became king despite having three older brothers (one of whom was our Aemon). You may read some of Egg's adventures in GRRM's Hedge Knight short stories.

where might i find them?

Archived