Thrones gets Entertainment Weekly mention

(Copied and re-posted from entry on the Winter Is Coming site)

Knew this would eventually happen:

Entertainment Weekly, one of the most widely distributed magazines in the U.S., finally gave its first Thrones mention in a column by Lynette Rice:

HBO's Plan for Building On True Blood's Buzz

(After mentions of Treme and The Pacific...)

... Meanwhile, HBO--which, like EW, is owned by Time Warner--is generating heat for a pilot it hasn't even picked up yet: the network's adaptation of the fantasy book A Game of Thrones, starring Sean Bean and Lena Headey. Filmed entirely on location in Ireland and Morocco, Thrones supposedly boasts a budget that rivals that of the famously lavish Rome, but HBO co-chairman Michael Lombardo is quick to point out that all the network's shows have to meet high expectations--especially in light of stiff competition from the likes of Showtime and USA. "We are taking shots at shows that we wouldn't have taken a shot at five years ago," says Lombardo, who, with co-chairman Richard Plelper and entertainment president Sue Naegle, has developed an unprecedented number of pilots. "We opened our arms and invited people to come in and pitch things even if they didn't think it was HBO. We stopped second-guessing ourselves."

What does this mean? It's mostly good. One, Thrones is on everyone's tongues, and with all the mentions it's getting (EW is pretty much the weekly industry leader) ... well, they'd pretty much really have to screw the pooch in order for it not to get picked up.

The negative is, with all the pilots they seem to intend on making, that's just less space for Thrones to find its breathing room.

But I'm confident with a good show, it'll all work out. I'm pretty much set in my mind we'll get at least one season.

I want it all.

Buzz is good though!

Archived