Vote on the Reputation System

Ran

Reputation System  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find the reputation system adds something of value to the board?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, if you change it a bit...
    • Do not care either way.
  2. 2. If you voted Yes, please indicate how strongly you feel about it. 1 is not strongly, 5 is very strongly.

• 0 (Voted No)
  3. 3. If you voted No, please indicate how strongly you feel about it. 1 is not strongly, 5 is very strongly.

• 0 (Voted Yes)
  4. 4. If you voted for changing it, which changes would you like to see to make the system more useful on the forum? You may select multiple options.

• Positive voting only.
    • Removal of the feature from General Chatter.
    • Public voting history (i.e. everyone would see the most recent votes, and who initiated them; no more anonymity)
    • Change how many points are available each day (for example, more positive and negative votes, or more positive and the same or fewer negative votes).
    • Did not vote for changing
  5. 5. Respond to this statement: Ran is awesome.

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Maybe.
    • Awesome? No. More like evil incarnate.
    • My hovercraft is full of eels.
    • Yeah, but I am awesomer.
    • No, but I am still awesome so it's all good.

The experiment's gone long enough now that I think everyone's got pretty informed opinions on how the system has actually functioned on the forum. Time for some feedback. :) The topic will be open for a week, so after voting please feel free to add any additional comments or thoughts regarding poll options.

Edited by Ran

Ran is awesome, but the poll is not. When I try to submit, I get a board message saying I have to answer every question in the poll. As far as I know, I have, but it keeps saying the same thing.

For comment on the feature, I would like to see (if possible) separate positive and negative ratings. I think that would give a more detailed picture of reactions to the post, instead of just the aggregate.

My feeling is that the rep system would be a lot more useful if there was more indication of what positive or negative rep actually meant. As I said in another thread, if the +/- signs could be changed to Agree/Disagree or Helpful/Unhelpful or Like/Dislike, or something along those lines, there would be more value in looking at someone's rep or at the post rep.

If that's not possible, maybe even a sticky post with some indication what what we're assuming it means?

The way it is at the moment, positive rep could mean "Great, informative post" or it could mean "Made me laugh" or it could mean "This person is my best friend and I'm giving them positive rep on every post they make" or it could mean "I agree with everything written".

I like the public voting history idea. If people are giving me rep one way or another, it'd be useful to know who did it so I might have more of an idea why. Might also stop some of the silly rep giving.

I'd be in favour of retaining the system if, and only if, the anonymity was removed. This would I hope militate against some of the more absurd uses of the system, I can't imagine that the people down-rating Min's posts in the UK politics thread are really upset about a six month old post on the LibDem's poor editorial control.

If you want to have the feature, don't delete random posts (ie, from some people and not others) when the posts address that. Or give an option to address a negative rating by responding to the one who disliked the post. Positive only is stupid and for carebears.

If posts are to be rated, they need to have the rating show who rated the post and why - positive or negative. Without this information, the personal and post ratings are useless to others.

I said it from the start that I'm not a big fan of the rating system but I can see that it might have some uses. Not the way it is, though.

I think the anonymity is the first thing that needs to change. Knowing that their votes are going to be recorded and visible is going to make some people rethink the ease with which they -1 certain people or posts without obvious reason. We should also be able to see the number of all the positive and negative ratings one post gets (like -3, +5) so we have a better picture of what people actually think about it.

I also second Silverstar. There should be a way to explain why one gives a rating, positive or negative.

I'd be in favour of retaining the system if, and only if, the anonymity was removed. This would I hope militate against some of the more absurd uses of the system, I can't imagine that the people down-rating Min's posts in the UK politics thread are really upset about a six month old post on the LibDem's poor editorial control.

:lol: I wondered where my negs were coming from. So I have a secret nemesis sneakily down-rating me on innocuous politics posts from August? Fantastic! :D

:lol: I wondered where my negs were coming from. So I have a secret nemesis sneakily down-rating me on innocuous politics posts from August? Fantastic! :D

This is why you need to have even more updates in the Thongor, Brak and Co. thread, so you can get LoB's and mine positive ones. :thumbsup:

I think that it's currently in its worst possible form.

I understand people saying that it should/could stay as long as anonymity is removed, and this is a step in the right direction, but I think it needs to be removed completely.

All that you get with less anonymity is more animosity.

I, for one, know that if I saw someone negging me a few times, I'd start taking shit personal. I shouldn't, and I don't know why I would, I just know I would. I'm pretty sure a lot of other people would react the same way, even if some of them wouldn't admit they would until they were.

It causes unnecessary friction.

they've just implemented some kind of modification to the rep system over at malazanempire.com which allows comments but is still anonymous, don't know if that's interesting to you but thought I'd mention it. There was a huge movement to get rep back when we switched from vbulletin (which had an insane rep system but a lot of people loved it) so there's been a concerted effort to find a system that works.

For my part, I like the system in IPB 3 and I don't think we've had too many problems with inappropriate neg repping but obviously it's something of a problem here. Are admins able to see who has repped a given post and deal with anything inappropriate?

Um, hello?!? Theres a survey!!!!1111!! I didn't know those were possible. With ticky boxes! How cool is that!? Ran really is awesome. (aw, and look, someone finally gave him a positive point!)

Oh, and death to the praxis of insouciating capitalist values of competition and evaluation! "Once you start measuring people they don't measure up." - Pratchett*, etc, etc.

*paraphrase.