Vote on the Reputation System

Ran

Reputation System  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find the reputation system adds something of value to the board?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, if you change it a bit...
    • Do not care either way.
  2. 2. If you voted Yes, please indicate how strongly you feel about it. 1 is not strongly, 5 is very strongly.

• 0 (Voted No)
  3. 3. If you voted No, please indicate how strongly you feel about it. 1 is not strongly, 5 is very strongly.

• 0 (Voted Yes)
  4. 4. If you voted for changing it, which changes would you like to see to make the system more useful on the forum? You may select multiple options.

• Positive voting only.
    • Removal of the feature from General Chatter.
    • Public voting history (i.e. everyone would see the most recent votes, and who initiated them; no more anonymity)
    • Change how many points are available each day (for example, more positive and negative votes, or more positive and the same or fewer negative votes).
    • Did not vote for changing
  5. 5. Respond to this statement: Ran is awesome.

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Maybe.
    • Awesome? No. More like evil incarnate.
    • My hovercraft is full of eels.
    • Yeah, but I am awesomer.
    • No, but I am still awesome so it's all good.

Meh, I say burn the feature to the ground and salt the digital earth where it once stood. When we didn't have it we didn't miss it, and I doubt many people will miss it when it's gone.

HEAR HEAR

God, this forum is meant to give you pleasant relief from work family and school, isn't it? Isn't IT?

While I feel bad for some of the people that have been upset by the system, I still think it is beneficial.

It probably saves bandwidth by being able to post a positive rather than just an "I agree" post. And it probably has lessened flame wars because the negatives avoid snark and confrontations. Some people just don't like to be disagreed with, no matter how it's done.

I would be happy with non-anonymous rating, or positive only rating. If a lot of people are really put out by the ratings I would rather see the ratings go than boarders.

By the same token, I agree with those who say that the ratings are being taken way too seriously.

My take is this: the ability to pos or neg a post adds something valuable to the board by allowing a boarder to lodge agreement or disagreement with a post without having to post what amounts to repetitive statements. This is valuable to me because I frequently come to a discussion/debate and find that another boarder has largely expressed views that I agree with on the matter and if I don't have anything more to add then I don't say anything and move on to read another thread. I think it adds value for semi-lurkers like me to be able to participate in that way without having to post an actual reply saying "I agree with Lany, but I have nothing more to add at this time" which looks lame and is largely why I don't post unless I really feel like I have something different to say.

Sometimes a boarder might say something that I strongly disagree with such as "Sarah Palin is awesome!" I would like to be able to disagree with this statement without having to actually post the obvious "You are an idiot if you think that is true." If someone gets a negative mark for stating an opinion I think one can simply conclude that another poster disagrees with you. If I say "Vanilla is the finest of the flavors" you might pos or neg me for quoting BNL, or you might pos me because you like ice cream, or neg me because you simply prefer spumoni. I wouldn't have any way of knowing, but neither would I really care. The problem seems to come when these little agreements or disagreements are accumulated as some kind of personal referendum on the boarder.

I don't think the anonymity aspect adds anything valuable and opens the system to abuse (as we have seen).

My main complaint about the system is that it is tied to a personal "reputation" which I think is not valuable information and is likely to just make people unhappy. I make my own judgment about another boarder based on what they say, not what their rating is at. I would like to be able to disagree with a person's post through the rating system without having it reflect on them personally, or their overall reputation as a boarder. If the only purpose of the rating system is to rate boarders by reputation as if this were E-bay and we needed to know which boarders are "good" and which ones should be avoided, then I think the reputation system should be scrapped. If, otoh, the system is meant to be more like Facebook where you can register agreement or "like" of a person's post without having to make additional inane comments, then I think there is value to keeping it in some form.

Keeping the positive-only rating would be okay, imo, because it would serve the purpose I mainly use it for which is to register agreement with something someone already said.

I think there has been expressed the sentiment that if you disagree with a post and you want to express your view, then you should be willing to say "why" you disagree. I think that is a fair point of view, and I think positive-only rating would allow a boarder to register support for someone who has already made the counterargument, but it would also force you to post your disagreement (or hold your peace) if no one has expressed your viewpoint.

I like the rating system for posts - don't really care about the individual reputation itself. Posts like this little gem from General are not worth the time it takes to type out a response - voting it down works perfectly.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/40794-things-u-want-to-know-before-the-series-end/page__view__findpost__p__2006261

While I feel bad for some of the people that have been upset by the system, I still think it is beneficial.

It probably saves bandwidth by being able to post a positive rather than just an "I agree" post. And it probably has lessened flame wars because the negatives avoid snark and confrontations. Some people just don't like to be disagreed with, no matter how it's done.

And where would such gems such as the Champagne thread of the Zorse wars be if there had been a ratings system at the time?

Non-existent for a start.

I fail to see one single use for it. And seeing the current results of the poll, I'm not on my own.

I like the rating system for posts - don't really care about the individual reputation itself. Posts like this little gem from General are not worth the time it takes to type out a response - voting it down works perfectly.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/40794-things-u-want-to-know-before-the-series-end/page__view__findpost__p__2006261

Thank your for that link, Alexia. I hadn't used a neg. all day but I was able to now!

I agree with your post, too. That deserves the shout down but why bother getting into a pointless little flame war with an obvious troll.

And where would such gems such as the Champagne thread of the Zorse wars be if there had been a ratings system at the time?

Non-existent for a start.

I fail to see one single use for it. And seeing the current results of the poll, I'm not on my own.

They would probably be in Games Forums. Times change.

My feeling is that the rep system would be a lot more useful if there was more indication of what positive or negative rep actually meant. As I said in another thread, if the +/- signs could be changed to Agree/Disagree or Helpful/Unhelpful or Like/Dislike, or something along those lines, there would be more value in looking at someone's rep or at the post rep.

I agree that's possibly the most fundamental problem with the system, that even when votes are made it doesn't really add any useful information to the other people reading the thread (or the original poster) because, as previous threads on the system have shown, people quite reasonably interpret the meaning of + or - in different ways. If we don't know what a rating means then what use is it?

By the way what's with this "voting" shit? Is Ran growing soft in his old age?

:lol:

Testing the system................I "have reached the maximum number of positive daily ratings for the day". So now I've only the negatives left............Guess what I'm going to do now??!

That's right, look for targets.

This is silly. Like 16 ton weight silly.

since my last post here I have since found out that the new hook for the rep system at malazanempire takes away the anonymity as well as providing the option to leave a comment explaining the reason for your repping a given post. In your profile, it shows who repped you, for what post and their comment. Hope that helps :)

I have an idea. Replace the system with two buttons: "I agree" and "I disagree". The post then gets a little addition where it says "5 people agree with this post". This doesn't affect reputation and has no limit, other than that you can only agree with a post once. This feature would serve the purpose of simply agreeing or disagreeing with people without having to post anything yourself.

As far as reputation is concerned, I don't care much about it. If it can get more people to post Goodkind parodies and barbarian fiction mockery though, I'm all for it. Perhaps another button saying "thank you for this awesome post"?

The survey still doesn't work quite right. I had trouble getting a check box selection to persist (no problem with radio buttons). But perhaps it's because I'm on IE7.

I'm not a fan of the rep system. I think it just encourages anonymous sniping and circle-jerking. General reactions can already be easily spotted from response posts and reading between the lines a little. In any case, some people who receive negative rep seem just as oblivious/defensive as before. And I have no idea how to find which of my posts are receiving what rep in order to learn from the feedback.

Besides, the rep system is really a nudge toward conformity. We don't all have to conform or agree. We risk losing the great diversity of this community.

If we want to retain the rep system, then we should drop the anonymity and also include some explanation of the type of reaction. You can respond positively or negatively based on agreement, relevance, wit/humor, elegant phrasing, e-crush/bromance, etc. But that quickly looks like a response post, or perhaps a nested reponse comment.