Vote on the Reputation System

Ran

Reputation System  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find the reputation system adds something of value to the board?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, if you change it a bit...
    • Do not care either way.
  2. 2. If you voted Yes, please indicate how strongly you feel about it. 1 is not strongly, 5 is very strongly.

• 0 (Voted No)
  3. 3. If you voted No, please indicate how strongly you feel about it. 1 is not strongly, 5 is very strongly.

• 0 (Voted Yes)
  4. 4. If you voted for changing it, which changes would you like to see to make the system more useful on the forum? You may select multiple options.

• Positive voting only.
    • Removal of the feature from General Chatter.
    • Public voting history (i.e. everyone would see the most recent votes, and who initiated them; no more anonymity)
    • Change how many points are available each day (for example, more positive and negative votes, or more positive and the same or fewer negative votes).
    • Did not vote for changing
  5. 5. Respond to this statement: Ran is awesome.

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Maybe.
    • Awesome? No. More like evil incarnate.
    • My hovercraft is full of eels.
    • Yeah, but I am awesomer.
    • No, but I am still awesome so it's all good.

The fact that the down rating is hurtful to some is a reason to eliminate it as I don't see anyone really saying the system adds anything to the board. In my opinion, your fun shouldn't come at someone else's expense.
Yes, this board never insults any other boarders, other boards, other fanbases, other people or anyone else for the sake of fun.

That never happens.

Honestly, now I want to keep it just so that the people who take themselves way too seriously don't win.

Kalbear,

Yes, this board never insults any other boarders, other boards, other fanbases, other people or anyone else for the sake of fun.

That never happens.

Honestly, now I want to keep it just so that the people who take themselves way too seriously don't win.

And here I thought personal attacks and insults to boarders were things we weren't supposed to tolerate. Now it can be done with perfect anonymity, without the ability to respond to the attack, and without consequense to the attacker. Lovely.

Kalbear,

And here I thought personal attacks and insults to boarders were things we weren't supposed to tolerate. Now it can be done with perfect anonymity, without the ability to respond to the attack, and without consequense to the attacker. Lovely.

Scot,

I'm actually of the mind that those little + and - markers are a whole lot less harmful than the personal attacks and insults that you're referring to. With the click of a button, it's alleviated a lot of the more in depth attacks I've seen. Instead of breaking it down (often strewn insults and sarcasm) the heart of the matter is cut to - you disagree with the person's post. Enough said.

Mya,

Scot,

I'm actually of the mind that those little + and - markers are a whole lot less harmful than the personal attacks and insults that you're referring to. With the click of a button, it's alleviated a lot of the more in depth attacks I've seen. Instead of breaking it down (often strewn insults and sarcasm) the heart of the matter is cut to - you disagree with the person's post. Enough said.

Okay, how do you know? How do you know why you've been dinged? It could be for any or no reason. Further, there is no way to respond, correct, or debate the person who's anonymously dinged you. It doesn't add anything.

Now it can be done with perfect anonymity, without the ability to respond to the attack, and without consequense to the attacker. Lovely.
Okay, Scot.

Seriously.

You're saying that someone - anyone - choosing to click on a button that gives -1 is an attack on that boarder? You're equating -1 to insulting them? Really? That's an attack, similar to saying that a person sucks or smells or fucks goats? That's what you equate?

I mean...they could have voted you down for any reason or no reason at all. They might have created 29 alts to vote you down. The important thing to consider is that they didn't voice their opinion on why you supposedly sucked, so why should you care? It's not actionable. It's not important enough to respond to. You don't need to respond to it because it doesn't matter.

Here's what I like about it: it's an easy way to have people agree or disagree (and just that) without cluttering up a conversation thread or interrupting. I also like it because it tweaks people who put value in anonymous posters saying nothing of import except they didn't like a bit of random drivel, and makes them feel bad.

Okay, so people don't like nitpicking of english as a sidetrack to posts. So what? What does that even matter?

Kalbear,

Okay, Scot.

Seriously.

You're saying that someone - anyone - choosing to click on a button that gives -1 is an attack on that boarder? You're equating -1 to insulting them? Really? That's an attack, similar to saying that a person sucks or smells or fucks goats? That's what you equate?

I mean...they could have voted you down for any reason or no reason at all. They might have created 29 alts to vote you down. The important thing to consider is that they didn't voice their opinion on why you supposedly sucked, so why should you care? It's not actionable. It's not important enough to respond to. You don't need to respond to it because it doesn't matter.

Here's what I like about it: it's an easy way to have people agree or disagree (and just that) without cluttering up a conversation thread or interrupting. I also like it because it tweaks people who put value in anonymous posters saying nothing of import except they didn't like a bit of random drivel, and makes them feel bad.

Okay, so people don't like nitpicking of english as a sidetrack to posts. So what? What does that even matter?

I think we are in complete agreement regarding the facts of using this system but have diametrically opposed views as to the utility of that system as a result.

A ding can be perceived as an attack. Hence, some hurt feelings and bruised egos. I sincerely believe it makes things less friendly. I've always enjoyed the quality of debate here. I think the reputation feature damages that debate as you can't respond to dings.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

I think we are in complete agreement regarding the facts of using this system but have diametrically opposed views as to the utility of that system as a result.

If getting rid of the system harms no one and placates the really self conscious or those type a's that cant stomach seeing a red minus near their bodies of work then i s'pose getting rid of it is the best move.

It's still extremely silly to see people reacting so strongly too it. I'd keep it around for the comic value, but that's just...mean.

I guess.

When we didn't have it we didn't miss it

Hmmm, this could be said about more or less any innovation since the stone tools, including

Coca Cola

Microwaves

Psychotherapy

Pyrotechnics

Mango fruits

Sociology

Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle

Water closets

Nobel Prizes

The European Union

Cars

Hovercars

Ran

I think we should keep it but improve it. I agree with Mashiara's recs.

Edited by Jaerv

After all, there are five sorts of people here:

- people who think they're unpopular but actually they aren't

- people who think they're unpopular and actually they are

- people who think they're popular but they aren't

- people who think they're popular and they are

- people who think nobody has an opinion about them, or that they are perfectly divisive, and who end up with ~0 reputation

The first lot benefit from this system by the boost to their egos.

The second lot lose nothing - they just get told what they already know.

The third lot have their egos damaged and get upset - but since this corrects a delusion that is unhelpful to both them and the board, this is a good thing in the long run

The fourth lot, again, just get told what they know.

The fifth lot don't get told anything - which isn't good, but leaves them no worse off than they were before.

Dare I propose a sixth lot who don't think the board is Junior high, don't feel the need to be parented in it, and don't find that a system that is simultaneously obtuse and clinical has any place in a community where discussion flows very loosely over a range between totally academic to painfully personal?

Or does that mean i'm actually secret not popular but think i'm popular and really just want my crush to notice me?

A ding can be perceived as an attack. Hence, some hurt feelings and bruised egos. I sincerely believe it makes things less friendly. I've always enjoyed the quality of debate here. I think the reputation feature damages that debate as you can't respond to dings.

ANYTHING "can be perceived as an attack". That doesn't mean that it is IS, or that it should be treated as such. Offence is not harm. As somebody whose ego and feelings have been bruised and hurt on this board before: bruised egos are not always a bad thing, and are certainly not always a reason to stop doing whatever's doing the bruising. The merest offence caused to the singulist member should not be cause to change the behaviour available to everybody on the forum - sometimes, some people should just learn to be less offended, and if that means that the board loses certain people (such as myself) that may be bad for both the board and the poster in the short run, but in the long run is likely to be better for both of them than an overly-sheltered environment. Of course special considerations should be made in extreme cases - and of course, likewise, if so many of the board would leave over a trivial issue that it seriously affects the board, the board must accomodating their hypsersensitivity, irrational as it may be. But I don't see that either are the case here.

I also don't think that that "it hurts some people and isn't a great gain for anybody" line of thought should be followed through - because if we do that, we, as a society, would loe almost everything, reverting to a neutrality of harmlessness that serves nobody. Of almost anything, it's true that the harm to some is far greater than the good to any - the harm of legalised alcohol to some alcoholics, for instance, is far greater than the good to any individual person in need of a beer.

*watches reputation drop further*

Dare I propose a sixth lot who don't think the board is Junior high, don't feel the need to be parented in it, and don't find that a system that is simultaneously obtuse and clinical has any place in a community where discussion flows very loosely over a range between totally academic to painfully personal?

Or does that mean i'm actually secret not popular but think i'm popular and really just want my crush to notice me?

I' sorry, I don't understand what you're saying, or how this post relates to mine. Could you be clearer?

Wastrel,

I disagree on your belief in the system's utility. Up thread you were touting your positive rep score. If the negative votes are meaningless why was that worth mentioning? Further, the negative votes are so arbitrary, it is my opinion that only two things result from them hurt feelings or that they are ignored.

Since I barely understood the purpose of the system when it went up, I've basically ignored it. I've never clicked a plus or a minus. Ultimately, I've been about the Board long enough now to know who's going to say something witty or wry, who's going to add to a conversation or who's likely to simply be trolling. What does reputation have to do with that? Really?

Though apparently I have a "-2" reputation. Me. The most harmless poster around... :P

Stay or go, I guess we'll need to come up with some sort of the good title for this little discussion, eh? Any suggestions?

Edited by Jaxom 1974

I' sorry, I don't understand what you're saying, or how this post relates to mine. Could you be clearer?

Your post was the most obvious representation of notion that an informal community benefits from rankings, definitions, standards and anonymous, alienating methods of communication beyond conversation, and that those are necessary since its some kind of hobbesian popularity jungle out here anyway.

Ok, dude, seriously. Who still think in terms of "popularity" after age 16?

people worried about minuses?

Which is why I find it odd that its the people calling for the system to remain who are talking in terms of popularity and how easy it should be to ignore. I'm of the school that holds that "popularity" is not a concept usefully applicable to the board and the rankings do something more subversive by promoting conformity, opaquess, newby unfriendliness, confusion and suspicion. You could say, "hey, just brush it off", but I don't think humans tick that way. You have a clicky, judgy praxis, you become a clicky judgy person and community.

Just a quick mod note, lets not spend time talking about other threads and situations involving other members of the board. Not really needed to discuss the topic at hand.

Which is why I find it odd that its the people calling for the system to remain who are talking in terms of popularity and how easy it should be to ignore. I'm of the school that holds that "popularity" is not a concept usefully applicable to the board and the rankings do something more subversive by promoting conformity, opaquess, newby unfriendliness, confusion and suspicion. You could say, "hey, just brush it off", but I don't think humans tick that way. You have a clicky, judgy praxis, you become a clicky judgy person and community.

I guess.

I dunno.

I'm pretty done wasting my time talking about this tho.