Vote on the Reputation System

Ran

Reputation System  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find the reputation system adds something of value to the board?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, if you change it a bit...
    • Do not care either way.
  2. 2. If you voted Yes, please indicate how strongly you feel about it. 1 is not strongly, 5 is very strongly.

• 0 (Voted No)
  3. 3. If you voted No, please indicate how strongly you feel about it. 1 is not strongly, 5 is very strongly.

• 0 (Voted Yes)
  4. 4. If you voted for changing it, which changes would you like to see to make the system more useful on the forum? You may select multiple options.

• Positive voting only.
    • Removal of the feature from General Chatter.
    • Public voting history (i.e. everyone would see the most recent votes, and who initiated them; no more anonymity)
    • Change how many points are available each day (for example, more positive and negative votes, or more positive and the same or fewer negative votes).
    • Did not vote for changing
  5. 5. Respond to this statement: Ran is awesome.

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Maybe.
    • Awesome? No. More like evil incarnate.
    • My hovercraft is full of eels.
    • Yeah, but I am awesomer.
    • No, but I am still awesome so it's all good.

Your post was the most obvious representation of notion that an informal community benefits from rankings, definitions, standards and anonymous, alienating methods of communication beyond conversation, and that those are necessary since its some kind of hobbesian popularity jungle out here anyway.

Ok, dude, seriously. Who still think in terms of "popularity" after age 16?

People who only want positive votes?

eta: sorry, Ran. Didn't see your post.

Edited by Trebla

Brady,

It's not bullying in the physical sense. It's bullying in the metaphorical sense. Anonymously dinging someone without opening yourself to a respose or retort is cowardly in a sense similar to targeting a child too small or too weak to fight back is cowardly hence the comparison to bullying.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

Which is why I find it odd that its the people calling for the system to remain who are talking in terms of popularity and how easy it should be to ignore. I'm of the school that holds that "popularity" is not a concept usefully applicable to the board and the rankings do something more subversive by promoting conformity, opaquess, newby unfriendliness, confusion and suspicion. You could say, "hey, just brush it off", but I don't think humans tick that way. You have a clicky, judgy praxis, you become a clicky judgy person and community.

If it's going to be a popularity contest then we should get rid of it. I don't think you have to throw the baby out with the bath water though. The thing can be rigged so that it is not a popularity contest (not anonymous, and not tied to a boarder's "reputation") without nixing the whole thing.

If it's going to be a popularity contest then we should get rid of it. I don't think you have to throw the baby out with the bath water though. The thing can be rigged so that it is not a popularity contest (not anonymous, and not tied to a boarder's "reputation") without nixing the whole thing.

I don't know. I think the only value of the system is in the anonyminity. We make all votes public, and I bet we just see the same people getting hit repeatedly - the same people who are already Gen Chat punching bags in the first place.

LCOTNW,

If it remains I sincerely hope your changes are adopted.

I don't know. I think the only value of the system is in the anonyminity. We make all votes public, and I bet we just see the same people getting hit repeatedly - the same people who are already Gen Chat punching bags in the first place.

There Would Be Blood. Certain people would make posts or threads demanding why someone one gave them a negative. Their friends would jump in, ripping the other person and/or starting Vanity Threads to repair the ego.

Edited by Trebla

Oh, and death to the praxis of insouciating capitalist values of competition and evaluation! "Once you start measuring people they don't measure up." - Pratchett*, etc, etc.

*paraphrase.

Because there is no self, thus our ego has a need to measure to create identities within ourselves and others, to create a sense of self which is ultimately illusionary and selfish.

Communist values are as empty and manipulative as capitalit because both are based on economic theories, we can choose to have economics as the base from which life flows, but then you've abstracted people into workers, the Earth and the other animals as resources which even Deep Green Communism labels and catagorises the ultimately unnamable. And when you do so everything loses its life force.

Theories are life-killing even the best meaning ones.

Communist values are as empty and manipulative as capitalit because both are based on economic theories,

This is the bit you have backwards. Values are always the root of any system, time, place, society. Economics is simply the skeleton of the building that expresses them. Ask yourself in what building it is better to live - one with elevators, or one with stairs?

Scot,

I'm actually of the mind that those little + and - markers are a whole lot less harmful than the personal attacks and insults that you're referring to. With the click of a button, it's alleviated a lot of the more in depth attacks I've seen. Instead of breaking it down (often strewn insults and sarcasm) the heart of the matter is cut to - you disagree with the person's post. Enough said.

No, they're causing nastier arguments- so much so that they've been deleted by MOD's. I know, I was in one.

But despite that, I voted to change the system if it must be around. Do I think it adds anything to this board? No. But if it ends up staying it does need some work, and loose the anonymity. Personally, I haven't used the feature it at all.

Woops, that's a lie- I neg'ed Ran, just to see how it feels.

I also clicked on Ran being evil incarnate button... 'Cause it was fun. :D

Edited by fitheach

This is the bit you have backwards. Values are always the root of any system, time, place, society. Economics is simply the skeleton of the building that expresses them. Ask yourself in what building it is better to live - one with elevators, or one with stairs?

No no no no Marx himself said economics is the base upon which the laws and values and culture the superstructure rest upon, that is fundamental communism, back to Marx 101 for you :P

<-----Philosophy grad

<-----Anti-philosophy practioner :P

And the answer to your question, stairs cos they keep me fit I love stairs well cool haha, elevator for me mum because she worked all her life as a cleaner and ruined her knees, but in a sense it was her choice, very hard worker my mum very proud of her :)

Edited by Dat Crooked Crow