Vote on the Reputation System

Ran

Reputation System  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find the reputation system adds something of value to the board?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, if you change it a bit...
    • Do not care either way.
  2. 2. If you voted Yes, please indicate how strongly you feel about it. 1 is not strongly, 5 is very strongly.

• 0 (Voted No)
  3. 3. If you voted No, please indicate how strongly you feel about it. 1 is not strongly, 5 is very strongly.

• 0 (Voted Yes)
  4. 4. If you voted for changing it, which changes would you like to see to make the system more useful on the forum? You may select multiple options.

• Positive voting only.
    • Removal of the feature from General Chatter.
    • Public voting history (i.e. everyone would see the most recent votes, and who initiated them; no more anonymity)
    • Change how many points are available each day (for example, more positive and negative votes, or more positive and the same or fewer negative votes).
    • Did not vote for changing
  5. 5. Respond to this statement: Ran is awesome.

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Maybe.
    • Awesome? No. More like evil incarnate.
    • My hovercraft is full of eels.
    • Yeah, but I am awesomer.
    • No, but I am still awesome so it's all good.

I also voted "maybe, with changes", but have started edging towards "no". I will say there have been days when I've gotten the message that I've exceed my positive votes, but I've never received the same about negative votes.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Ran should add "Do You think Margaery has gotten dick?" to the list of poll questions? People want to know.

I don't think I've ever used it (except a couple times when I thought the + sign was to add a quote. Yes, I'm that stupid), so it doesn't matter to me, but if it bothers that many people, seems like it does more harm than good.

In a way, I actually think having a bunch of rep points is kind of a backhanded compliment. Y'know, like it probably means you spend way too much time here and should get out more. At least that's how it strikes me, anyways.

Ser Scot,

I call it bullying because there is no possibility of a response due to its anonymous nature. If someone flips you the bird you can respond in kind or ignore it, but, you have the ability to respond. Not here because you have no idea who flipped you the bird.

See my earlier post for more on why I compare anonymous neg voting to bullying.

I just went back and read the post to which I believe you referred and what I saw there was essentially a restatement of what you've written here. Did I miss something?

To the point, however: I think you and I materially agree, in large part. I would prefer to keep the system, but would be rather disappointed if it remains anonymous. If your one objection of anonymity were eliminated, people who use it cease to be cowardly, so the system ceases to be bullying and becomes the greatest board advent since Frosty 3.0. The same one change satisfies us both, yeah?

Edited by Lord Caspen

LC,

Ser Scot,

I just went back and read the post to which I believe you referred and what I saw there was essentially a restatement of what you've written here. Did I miss something?

To the point, however: I think you and I materially agree, in large part. I would prefer to keep the system, but would be rather disappointed if it remains anonymous. If your one objection of anonymity were eliminated, people who use it cease to be cowardly, so the system ceases to be bullying and becomes the greatest board advent since Frosty 3.0. The same one change satisfies us both, yeah?

I think the feature would cease to be cowardly but I still don't believe it adds much. As I stated earlier I've always been impressed by the quality of debate here. The post voting feature removes the need to actually say something. Even if you know who's voting you down you don't know why. You have to take the time to call the downvoter out which will clutter the board with such threads or posts.

I think, at the end of the day, we are better off without this system. However, if it is kept, I prefer it not be anonyomous and that it not create "reputation scores".

Guest Raidne

In a way, I actually think having a bunch of rep points is kind of a backhanded compliment. Y'know, like it probably means you spend way too much time here and should get out more. At least that's how it strikes me, anyways.

Yep, that's exactly how I feel about it.

In the end, I think we should keep the post rating feature but kill the reputation score. All of the good features we've mentioned speak to the former and not the latter. In fact, I don't think anyone has said anything to justify the existence of the reputation score.

I'm not completely in love with the overall rating, but I do think it adds interesting perspective. Sort of like, it doesn't really matter which candidate in a Presidential race had a larger percentage of the women's vote, but when you cross-section it that way, it sets a basis for fascinating conjecture.

The only thing I don't like about the overall rating feature is that I'd prefer it if I could click on it to get a breakdown of all the posts I've made that have received +/-, and the votes they've received. It's kind of silly to have a number which is supposed, even in only a very small way, to assign some kind of worth with regard to the quality of your work, and have no way of assessing how that number came to be that number in the first place.

It's a bit like an Olympic athlete being told she got a "five." "Okay," she says, "well, what was I docked?" "Oh, I couldn't tell you that. You'd have to ask the judges." "Okay, well, who voted what scores?" "Oh, I don't know that either. I'm sure they left memos around the building, though. Why don't you go find them?"

Edited by Lord Caspen

Guest Ralf Hutter

Frosty, the point was that most people can like your posts, even really, really like your posts, but if a significant few don't, there you are - negative rating.

So fuck those people, stop worrying about it, and enjoy your controversial status. :)

Apologies for not putting it more succinctly in the first place. I, for one, am a Frosty fan, FTR.

At this point and all the posts Raidne you shoudl sense when I was fooling with you. None of my above post was serious. I just was looking for a debate.

I think the rating is hilarious and I just wonder how far mine will go lol If I could just now catch up with Ran lol

My new mantra for 2010 is it is all good - all good. Recycle all our experiences and learn from it no matter bad is seems at the time - learn grow have fun - no? :D

F.

Somebody said the negative ratings ousted a troll and an alt recently. Trolls and alts were ousted without and before that rating thing. If a post is truly offensive, there's the report button. If the post is not truly offensive, it's only intellectual wank to shoot it down with a red click without the courtesy of an intelligent retort. Pleasure yourself quick and fast at the expense of someone else who can't fight back.

This I'm sure is a stupid question, but what is an alt? I know what a troll is, I've been a victim of troll behavior (and have been called one for stupid questions like this), but never heard of an alt. Seriously. :ohwell:

Edited by fitheach

This I'm sure is a stupid question, but what is an alt? I know what a troll is, I've been a victim of troll behavior (and have been called one for stupid questions like this), but never heard of an alt. Seriously. :ohwell:

Either you're serious and the timing is hilarious, or you're not and it's still funny.

alt = alternate identity (a boarder with two accounts)

An alt exists when a established boarder creates a new board identity often for the purposes of villainy. Sometimes "new" boarders appear acting questionably or with knowledge they can't possibly have are accused of being alts. However in recent years we've relaxed our standards for alt accusations and have pretty much extended them to all new boarders. Examples of alts include MeanMrMustard, Marcus Antonius and Jaxom 1974.

Also any mention of N00bcentration camps definitively proves you are, infact, an alt.

Edit: never mind, answered and answered.

I voted to keep the feature. From what I've read on the board since it's been introduced it seems like it's being used well. It's also really handy for when you're in a hurry and skim reading threads.

Edited by VarysTheSpider

It's a second secret identity by a known poster. You're only allowed one identity per board - usually - some people enjoy putting an internet black mask and disrupting the whole show while being safe as they think from retaliation.

I guess some people never heard of IP adresses.