Vote on the Reputation System

Ran

Reputation System  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find the reputation system adds something of value to the board?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, if you change it a bit...
    • Do not care either way.
  2. 2. If you voted Yes, please indicate how strongly you feel about it. 1 is not strongly, 5 is very strongly.

• 0 (Voted No)
  3. 3. If you voted No, please indicate how strongly you feel about it. 1 is not strongly, 5 is very strongly.

• 0 (Voted Yes)
  4. 4. If you voted for changing it, which changes would you like to see to make the system more useful on the forum? You may select multiple options.

• Positive voting only.
    • Removal of the feature from General Chatter.
    • Public voting history (i.e. everyone would see the most recent votes, and who initiated them; no more anonymity)
    • Change how many points are available each day (for example, more positive and negative votes, or more positive and the same or fewer negative votes).
    • Did not vote for changing
  5. 5. Respond to this statement: Ran is awesome.

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Maybe.
    • Awesome? No. More like evil incarnate.
    • My hovercraft is full of eels.
    • Yeah, but I am awesomer.
    • No, but I am still awesome so it's all good.

Do you lose your ability to vote at the Chaotic Evil level? Like the system makes some sort of assumption that you are such a natural rule-breaker that you can no longer be entrusted with the sacred duty of allocating reputation points?

I take it your tongue is firmly in your cheek Raidne, or is this to be the tyranny of the masses (of alts) haha.

I've decided to do as others have done already and get the fuck out of dodge until this thing is gone and dead. This is sure to make a couple of people happy :thumbsup:

When somebody receives -2 (no, not me) for even asking how to edit a thread, you know you've stepped from a pleasant recreational pastime into a little 1941 Vichy delation wonderland.

Not my thing at all I'm sorry to say.

It's interesting to see how this rating system is being used in the book threads...it seems to be a very useful tool to express support or dismay, and I haven't seen one boarder bitch about it yet (although I have only read, like, three book threads so I might be way off base there).

Come to think of it, it seems to be used pretty well in the Entertainment threads I visit. Is it being used in the sports threads, and if so, have there been any meltdowns over it?

I wonder if the results of this poll would be different if it was stickied across the board, rather than just in GC?

I'm really sorry that people feel they have to leave. What is wrong with you people?

Well, you can take comfort in knowing that you wont be getting rid of me that easily!

I see that I am now "Chaotic Evil" BTW... I wasn't so much complaining about it as I was surprised by it. I thought that I was going to be in the positives somewhere.

Blauer Dragon,

And thank God for that.

I don't quite get it, you know? Tormund's opinions are often unpopular. Zap's. Occasionally, Ser Scot's. They are tough men, to be sure, but not, I should have said, miraculously so.

True, not everyone need be tough, and I've insecurities of my own. I just don't quite understand how some people can take a barrage of negativity in the form of actual posts, not all of which are necessarily thoughtful, but all of them ridiculing and belittling one or one's position, and others get a handful of minuses and flee crying, "Nazi!"

Edited by Lord Caspen

People are leaving the Board over the post rating system? Really?!?! Who are these "others"? It doesn't really work well as a protest without knowing how many people feel this way. I mean, it works pretty well as manufactured Board drama of the kind that sparks record popcorn sales no matter how you slice it, but I'm not entirely certain that's the actual intent.

<mod> Another reminder to watch the not-so-thinly-veiled snarks surrounding previous boarder's responses to the system. Talk about what you think about the system, not about how others' responded to it. </mod>

<mod> Another reminder to watch the not-so-thinly-veiled snarks surrounding previous boarder's responses to the system. Talk about what you think about the system, not about how others' responded to it. </mod>

Well, it's like this: if people are really fleeing the system en masse in protest, I would consider revising my opinion of the rating system. If not, and the only person who's left is someone who I gather was already recently taking an extended absence from the Board anyway, than my opinion is not changed.

If someone doesn't want someone asking questions like that, then they shouldn't post it. Just say that you are leaving and leave "the others" out of it.

My two cents. I realize that asking how people are leaving is the kind of thing that is usually modded, but as long as it's an honest question with an honest answer, I've noticed it's been allowed more often lately. :dunno:

Well then, Raidne, I would say that as far as I know, "the people" who are leaving are limited to Chataya, who, afaik, has not entirely left after all. Anyone else who is seriously leaving over this particular thing and for no other reasons (Niamh?) should clarify.

I've decided to do as others have done already and get the fuck out of dodge until this thing is gone and dead. This is sure to make a couple of people happy :thumbsup:

When somebody receives -2 (no, not me) for even asking how to edit a thread, you know you've stepped from a pleasant recreational pastime into a little 1941 Vichy delation wonderland.

Anyone else who is seriously leaving over this particular thing and for no other reasons (Niamh?) should clarify.

Based on the above quote I have to wonder what on earth is there to clarify for anything other than some more not so veiled finger pointing? Close the fucking thread already, it's been a week.

When the function first came up and people started giving their opinion (in the first thread) I said I didn't like the new post rating system and joked about democracy. I was told by the king (no less) that if I didn't like it I could leave... I still don't like the system, I voiced my opinion and am still here. If it stays I'll continue to

enjoy (or get frustrated with) the conversations, and if some lazy person isn't up to writing out their agreement or dissagreement that's their issue. I personally will continue to have conversations.

In the end really, what's the point of the ballyhoo? Its up to Ran if its to change or be eliminated. Leaving the site is a choice a person can make, but I really doubt if people will leave en masse.

Although it is nice to be heard, and hope to post in a democratic monarchy. :-)

Okay, thanks for the info. After having thought it over a little more as certain trends have developed, it does seem as though it is really flipping some people out, and that mostly it seems to be the conviction that it's an individual or a small group of people that is responsible for most of the negging that occurs to any particular person that causes it, for the most part. And I also think that is actually happening.

But, I don't think non-anonymity would stop that. I mean, let's say one particular person was, for instance, negging all my posts in this thread (just hypothetical, of course :)). Would revealing their identity stop them? Probably not. Would, what, the mods stop them? How? And why? How to tell when someone is engaging in trollish rating?

So yeah, let's get rid of rating in GC, but keep it in the other forums. IMO, it's not being used to disagree with posting etiquette or to disapprove of unpopular opinions - it's being used to express objections to personalities, and often by just a few people. And maybe that's the same thing as objecting to posting etiquette in some cases, but who knows?

The lesson? Apparently, in the end, there are too many personality conflicts, too many sensitive personalities, and perhaps not enough maturity to have the post rating feature in General Chatter.

ETA: Oh, someone balanced me back out. Thanks!

Edited by Raidne

Oh, I don't know. I'm actually finding the post rating/reputation thing very fascinating on a socio-psychological level. Granted, people who care about it shouldn't be made to feel bad for doing so; we're all entitled to our feelings, yet...

Yet.

We, each of us, deal with silent judgement day in, day out.

Is the new feature really so much different than those other interactions in real life? It's just another reality check. I know it's a fantasy board, but come on guys. None of us live in one.

Honestly, I don't mind anything that helps this place, and it's denizens, become a little more real. I mean, I for one don't come here to escape.

That's what books are for.

Edited by Azor Ahai