Who is the Valonqar?

einsteinstongue

All the foreshadowing points to Jaime. Look at Symon's song.

"She was his secret treasure, she was his shame and bliss." Obviously fits their relationship her being his secret treasure, both a bliss and a shame because of the incest.

"A chain and keep are nothing, compared with a woman's kiss." Jaime joined the king's guard and surrendered his claim to Castley Rock so he could be close to Cersei.

"For hands of gold are always cold, but a woman's hands are warm." Speaks for itself. Jaime has a golden hand now and Tyrion recalls this line when strangling Shae with a chain made of gold hands.

A lot of people think Cersei will try to burn King's Landing down in a reflection of Aerys. I could easily see Jaime saving King's Landing again by killing another mad ruler intent on burning it down. People put too much stock in the plural "hands."

Not really. You just quoted Symon's song...which comes back to Tyrion when he kills Shae (lying whore #1) with the chain of golden hands, as you yourself mentioned. Cersei (lying whore #2) has been pushing for Jaime to be named Hand through the whole series. If he kills her it will be with that chain. Thus he will wrap his "hands" around her pale white throat. Jaime and Tyrion have so much more in common than they realize.

I agree that the foreshadowing does seem to favor Jaime, but I'm still not convinced it's going to be him unless the YMBQ is Myrcella (or maybe Sansa "my last chance for honor" Stark).

I feel as if I've never really gotten an answer to why Maggy suddenly decides to answer a fourth question that Cersei never asked from people saying it's Jaime. Like, everyone's so ready to call Cersei a moron for assuming Tyrion, when her mistake wasn't that she forgot she had another brother but that she's self-centered as heck. And since basically everyone who is saying Jaime is taking Cersei's word for it, they're making the same mistake.

Because of Cersei's inner narrative, she automatically assumes valonqar is in relation to her, i.e. her own younger brother--understandable, because as a youth she was aware of neither a situation where the dead could come back to life nor the fact that those resurrected dead choke those who were close to them in life. Thus, she would assume that the prior line regarding the death of her children would end their story. However, a cursory examination of the question and Maggy's answer makes it obvious that she's talking about the younger brother out of the children that Cersei asked about. Because that was Cersei's question, wasn't it? "Will the king and I have children?" Not "How will I die?" Therefore, her death must relate to her children, because the point about her death was merely an elaboration on the answer about her children, which is Maggy's pattern. Maggy uses her trademark specificity in saying the valonqar because Cersei has two sons, but only one daughter, so she has to say which one she's talking about. Had she just said "the brother" it wouldn't have been clear if she was talking about Joffrey or Tommen.

Oh my goodness that totally makes sense, it's gotta be Tommen!

Archived