Exercise and Fitness (the 48kg remix)

Vestrit

I've noticed that there seems to be a scarcity of groups for runners who are sort of mediocre good. There are groups up in Boulder for elite runners- women running 16 minute 5Ks, and there are groups around here for 25 minute 5K types, but there never seem to be a lot of people who are interested in being competitive at the local level- most whom I've met have no interest in training with other people. I guess I should try to find a club team - the kind that struggle along at team nationals but still get to say they were in a race with much, much better runners.

ETA: In fact, now I'm motivated enough to look for non-marathon track clubs in Denver.

I kept thinking how awesome it would be to run outside again once it got warm out. Then I ran today. It sucked. Dunno if I'll be in shape in time for the broad street run. Also, my calves were wicked sore from calf raises, but the run made them feel a million times better.

Didn't manage to lift yesterday. My break between lessons was actually filled with lesson planning, a novel concept for a teacher?

Got in 8 km run this morning, forty-one minutes. I might be able to get this running thing back in my legs.

Biked to/from work 3/4 days this week.

I guess since I'm still functioning that I've made a decent start.

I've noticed that there seems to be a scarcity of groups for runners who are sort of mediocre good. There are groups up in Boulder for elite runners- women running 16 minute 5Ks, and there are groups around here for 25 minute 5K types, but there never seem to be a lot of people who are interested in being competitive at the local level- most whom I've met have no interest in training with other people. I guess I should try to find a club team - the kind that struggle along at team nationals but still get to say they were in a race with much, much better runners.

ETA: In fact, now I'm motivated enough to look for non-marathon track clubs in Denver.

yeah I was thinking of starting a meetup.com group for runners in my area. I can do a 10k in 48 minutes or thereabouts, so hopefully there's enough people close by who are in the ballpark and could meet regularly for some road time.

lifting day today was good. one of my four days on this current routine is a mish-mash of upper body lifts, which is also the day I throw in whatever random stuff I feel like I could use improvement on. Front to back I did a solid 70 minutes, and felt like I could do more, but I'm conserving energy for tommorrow when I'm heading out for a day of resistance training madness with my powerlifter buddy. I'm not sure what's on the schedule exactly; but it will probably involve leather, harnesses, and chains. :whip:

I was so very glad of my kettlebell training yesterday while I hoisted the giant industrial leather-sewing machine into the back of the pick-up truck. (I'm moving to new house). That thing weighs more than my greek-orgy sectional. I know because I carried them both up the stairs at the new house. That's been my workout the past few days. Very sore, all good.

too bad I'm Polish/ Irish.

new house? better house? are congratulations in order?

Much better house, but more $$ too, so it's time to get this butt to work. Feel free to congratulate me, but only because I managed to get all my furnishings up the drive and the stairway. It's a very vertical house.

That usually sounds fairly promising.

I took a 3 day hiatus from working out, where I ate whatever I wanted and had a martini every night.

I now feel quite ready to go back to the gym, and also ready to start a Month of Religion (MoR), in which no treats or booze are consumed, except for 3 pre-determined items, which for me are:

1. One Starbucks short, extra hot white mocha once a week

2. Georgia Society CPAs meeting on 4/20 - one or two glasses of wine, possible dessert.

3. Possible office cake on 4/16.

And working out a minimum of 5 times a week. Lifting 2 or 3 of those times, for sure, as well as cardio all 5.

Anyone with me?

No Easter Dinner?

No Peeps?

No chocolate bunnies?

No glazed Ham?

Commie.

;)

Chats, I'm with you! My wedding is May 8th, and I want to be in fighting shape for it. I'm already in the best shape of my life (except maybe, like, as a 4-year-old), but there's certainly still room for improvement.

I'll commit to:

1) No drinks, no snacking after dinner

2) No "unbudgeted" deserts (I track calories)

3) Gym 5 times a week, (1 hour of cardio each time, 3 times followed by 1 hour of lifting), and then a workout DVD or a jog outside once a week.

I'm trying to lose 8 more pounds, which would put me right in the middle of the "healthy" BMI range. Yes, I know it's flawed, but that's where I want to be for now.

Chats, I'm with you! My wedding is May 8th, and I want to be in fighting shape for it. I'm already in the best shape of my life (except maybe, like, as a 4-year-old), but there's certainly still room for improvement.

I'll commit to:

1) No drinks, no snacking after dinner

2) No "unbudgeted" deserts (I track calories)

3) Gym 5 times a week, (1 hour of cardio each time, 3 times followed by 1 hour of lifting), and then a workout DVD or a jog outside once a week.

I'm trying to lose 8 more pounds, which would put me right in the middle of the "healthy" BMI range. Yes, I know it's flawed, but that's where I want to be for now.

Good luck! If you stick to your plan, you'll have that 8 lbs gone in a month, easily.

Archived