Peter Dinklage on roles for dwarves (Kelowna)

Ninepenny

http://www.kelowna.com/2010/02/02/peter-dinklage-is-stuck-in-the-middle-with-mr-pink-too/

An interesting facet of the role [in Saint John of Las Vegas] is that it doesn't rely on Dinklage's most obvious physical characteristic. The actor is a dwarf who stands just 4-foot-5. Many of his roles (including his most well known, as a recluse in 2003's The Station Agent) require an actor of short stature. Mr. Townsend, however, could be any size, which suits Dinklage.

"I enjoy playing characters where it's not a defining aspect of their character," he says. "I can't let my size limit me or define me or pigeonhole me." So, although you can see him in a small part in the Will Ferrell comedy Elf, he has turned down roles that seemed to rely too much on his stature.

"It would entail me being lazy, and I'm not interested in that," he says. "It just becomes uninteresting for me and I think it becomes uninteresting for an audience." Having said that, he notes: "There are great roles that are written for dwarves."

That would include his current project, a planned HBO series called Game of Thrones, based on the popular fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. Dinklage plays the diminutive Tyrion Lannister in the pilot episode.

Dinklage seems to be praising Tyrion as a good example of a role written specifically for a dwarf. The rest of the interview (not shown above) is interesting too.

http://www.kelowna.com/2010/02/02/peter-dinklage-is-stuck-in-the-middle-with-mr-pink-too/

Dinklage seems to be praising Tyrion as a good example of a role written specifically for a dwarf. The rest of the interview (not shown above) is interesting too.

This actually worried me. He says he does NOT like roles that emphasize being a dwarf. Tyrion is called imp, half man, dwarf, etc in damn near every scene. And he has to constantly confront the idea as part of his plight. It sounds like Dinklage might have a problem with this role. Maybe he's saying "yeah, this is a good role for dwarves." As in "other dwarves".

Although, who knows. The article also makes mention of him wanting the lead in "The Dwarf". I understand the guy not wanting all midget roles, and more power to him that he's good enough to break out a little. But that's almost contradictory.

Satoris T Born: It seems from what he is saying is that most "dwarf" characters are pretty 2-dimensional boring roles. Fortunately Tyrion has depth and will be a challenging role: Tyrion may be a dwarf, but he is never just a dwarf.

When asked about his height he once commented "When I was younger, definitely, I let it get to me. As an adolescent, I was bitter and angry and I definitely put up these walls. But the older you get, you realize you just have to have a sense of humor. You just know that it's not your problem. It's theirs." (source)

He should prepare himself for an entirely new fan base once the show airs. Tyrion will definitely be liked by the general audience.

Yeah, i'm so exited, not just that Peter is gonna play Tyrion, but that Tyrion will be brought to life onscreen. When someone mentions GOT on HBO, most every time someone will comment "Yeah! Great show! I like that dwarfguy!"

I was just re-reading one of the many Cersei/Tyrion seens in ACoK, and I tried to picture the dialog as between Dinklage and Headey...

I'm not gonna lie, I'm REALLY looking forward to those scenes. I think both actors could really knock them out of the park.

Satoris T Born: It seems from what he is saying is that most "dwarf" characters are pretty 2-dimensional boring roles. Fortunately Tyrion has depth and will be a challenging role: Tyrion may be a dwarf, but he is never just a dwarf.

When asked about his height he once commented "When I was younger, definitely, I let it get to me. As an adolescent, I was bitter and angry and I definitely put up these walls. But the older you get, you realize you just have to have a sense of humor. You just know that it's not your problem. It's theirs." (source)

I can actually imagine Tyrion saying just that.

I think Dinklage's best role was in Death At A Funeral, where the main point of the character wasn't that he was a dwarf, it was that he was gay. And American. And a bit of spoilery stuff.

Who am I kidding, that movie was awesome because of Alan Tudyk. Who should totally be playing Bronn.

But Dinklage was awesome in it. His moments were a lot more quiet than they had a right to be, considering how hysterical they were.

I think Dinklage's best role was in Death At A Funeral, where the main point of the character wasn't that he was a dwarf, it was that he was gay. And American. And a bit of spoilery stuff.

Who am I kidding, that movie was awesome because of Alan Tudyk. Who should totally be playing Bronn.

But Dinklage was awesome in it. His moments were a lot more quiet than they had a right to be, considering how hysterical they were.

You do know that they're remaking this in the US? And with an African American family starring Chris Rock and Martin Lawrence? Did you also know that Peter Dinklage is also in the US-version, in basically the same role?

Link

This reminds me I need to go rent the original before the US version comes out... I saw a preview for it in front of a movie I rented and laughed through the whole trailer.

I don't know much of Dinklage's work, but his brief story arc a few seasons ago on 30 Rock was excellent. His style plays so mature that it's easy to forget his stature, even when his size is why he's in the story to begin with.

for a good idea of Dinklages work in rolls that pretty much resemble Tyrion watch him in Find me Guilty and Threshold

in find me guilty he plays a very charismatic lead layer and in threshold he plays a math and linguistic genius that likes to drink and is very good with the ladies...

You do know that they're remaking this in the US? And with an African American family starring Chris Rock and Martin Lawrence? Did you also know that Peter Dinklage is also in the US-version, in basically the same role?

I didn't know they changed it to a black family... I don't know if Chris Rock and Martin Lawrence will work. Part of the charm of the original was because it was deliberately British. It felt high class, and a lot of the funny was in the contrast between that and the behaviors of Simon, Uncle Alfie, and Peter. Chris Rock is great when he's supposed to be loud and funny. He's one of the best at loud and funny. I don't know how that'll work here.

Wait a second... Danny Glover is the uncle. Hmm. I don't quite know how to feel about that one.

And just to spite the comments on IMDB, I'm watching this when it comes out. The IMDB guys suck.

This reminds me I need to go rent the original before the US version comes out... I saw a preview for it in front of a movie I rented and laughed through the whole trailer.

Yes. Do it. Now.

EDIT - I take what I said back. I'm going to watch this movie to spite the Youtube commenters. Here's the trailer, comments below. And it looks like a zany version of the British one, which probably won't work. I guess I'll watch it. Dinklage has a mullet.

SECOND EDIT-THEY RUINED ALAN TUDYK! THEY REPLACED HIM WITH SOMEBODY NOT NEARLY AS FUNNY! LIFE IS MEANINGLESS NOW!

THIRD EDIT- "Let me get this straight: Our father was having gay sex with a man who could fit in his pocket, and you're mad that he's white!?" is the one line that's better here than in the original. From what I've seen. Enough to leave me hoping this could be as good.

FOURTH AND ULTIMATE EDIT- Peter Dinklage's character was originally not a dwarf. It was written because Dinklage is that awesome. God damn it, I worship that man.

I don't think I've ever gushed about a particular actor before, but I hugely admire Dinklage as an actor. I remember watching The Station Agent, renting it based on some recommendations, and I was completely engaged for the whole movie. I think he's a phenomenal character actor. He's in league with the top actors of this generation, among the likes of Ian McShane, Kate Winslet, Daniel Day Lewis, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Geoffrey Rush.

It's a grave misfortune that his height is such an impediment to him gaining roles, because I think he would work wonders where a lot of other actors failed.

I mean, with all of the threads about actors in Game of Thrones there's always someone who will express doubt about the person playing a certain role. I've never seen that happen with Dinklage. Maybe that's because there is limited competition due to the size, but I think it's more evidence that Dinklage is that good.

Perhaps the thing I'm most excited about is seeing how he'll bring Tyrion to life. Hell, much of the cast is stellar, so the acting itself is one of the biggest motivations to see Game of Thrones, perhaps as much as my enjoyment of genre material.

My favorite two Dinklage roles were:

- "Tito", in the film Living in Oblivion. That role is all about being a dwarf. Dinklage's character is cast as the dwarf in the dream sequence scene that the comically inept filmmakers of the film-within-a-film are trying to shoot. He then storms off set, with a tirade about dwarf roles in films.

- The papparazo in the film Penelope. He's a well-acted character and, if memory serves, the film never overtly mentions the fact that he's a dwarf.

I didn't know they changed it to a black family... I don't know if Chris Rock and Martin Lawrence will work. Part of the charm of the original was because it was deliberately British. It felt high class, and a lot of the funny was in the contrast between that and the behaviors of Simon, Uncle Alfie, and Peter. Chris Rock is great when he's supposed to be loud and funny. He's one of the best at loud and funny. I don't know how that'll work here.

Wait a second... Danny Glover is the uncle. Hmm. I don't quite know how to feel about that one.

And just to spite the comments on IMDB, I'm watching this when it comes out. The IMDB guys suck.

Yes. Do it. Now.

EDIT - I take what I said back. I'm going to watch this movie to spite the Youtube commenters. Here's the trailer, comments below. And it looks like a zany version of the British one, which probably won't work. I guess I'll watch it. Dinklage has a mullet.

SECOND EDIT-THEY RUINED ALAN TUDYK! THEY REPLACED HIM WITH SOMEBODY NOT NEARLY AS FUNNY! LIFE IS MEANINGLESS NOW!

THIRD EDIT- "Let me get this straight: Our father was having gay sex with a man who could fit in his pocket, and you're mad that he's white!?" is the one line that's better here than in the original. From what I've seen. Enough to leave me hoping this could be as good.

FOURTH AND ULTIMATE EDIT- Peter Dinklage's character was originally not a dwarf. It was written because Dinklage is that awesome. God damn it, I worship that man.

Okay, I thought the original version was a great ensemble comedy. And Dinklage's role there was funny. I am glad that he's reprising his role.

I must admit that I was apprehensive when I heard that Death At A Funeral's going to be remade, but the fact that it's going to be about a black family interests me. It will have a different dynamics compared to the Brit version, I guess. I just hope it will be as well-made and funny as the original as remakes are almost misses than hits.

Wait. Dinklage has a mullet?! Now, I'm sold.

To Satoris: Dinklage won't have problems with the role of Tyrion. This is the guy who did plenty of quality acting, from comedies to Shakespeare.

• 2 weeks later...

the Dinklage roles I'm familiar with (Station Agent, Nip Tuck), he plays it very dermure/subdued/understated. It's hard for me to picture him being brash and outlandish like Tyrion. Tyrion's personality reminds me of Dr. House, witty and brutally insulting.

Archived