GoT Merchandise - HBO files for 4 new trademarks

Ninepenny

On the 9th of February 2010 HBO filed for US trademarks for the following new categories:

* IC 033. US 047 049. G & S: Alcoholic beverages, namely, wines, spirits, liqueurs, cocktail mixes; all the aforementioned goods relating to an ongoing television series

* IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Toys; action figures; collectible figurines; games; playing cards; costume masks; lottery tickets; decorations for Christmas trees; Christmas tree ornaments; toy model and replica arms and armor; toy model and replica swords; toy model and replica knives; all the aforementioned goods relating to an ongoing television series

* IC 014. US 002 027 028 050. G & S: Jewelry; jewelry boxes; clocks and watches; letter openers, key rings, collectible coins, shields, insignias, medallions, trinkets and pendants all made of precious metals, semi-precious metals or imitation precious metals; all the aforementioned goods relating to an ongoing television series

* IC 032. US 045 046 048. G & S: Non-alcoholic beverages, namely, fruit drinks, fruit juices, carbonated beverages; non-alcoholic beer; alcoholic beverages, namely, beer, ale, lager, stout, porter and shandy; syrups and other beverage preparations; all the aforementioned goods relating to an ongoing television series

This is in addition to their filing of the 13th of January 2010:

* IC 020. US 002 013 022 025 032 050. G & S: Resin figurines; key fobs not of metal; non-metal key chains and key rings; mirrors; picture frames; pillows; plastic sculptures; slumber bags; sleeping bags; toy chests; household goods; all the aforementioned goods featuring content from or related to a television series

And of the 9th of December 2009:

* C 021. US 002 013 023 029 030 033 040 050. G & S: Cosmetic brushes, eye shadow brushes, eyebrow brushes, lip brushes, make-up brushes, nail brushes, powder puffs; mugs, drinking glasses, shot glasses, dishes, plates, bowls, cups, saucers and trays made of glassware, porcelain, ceramic or earthenware; wine buckets, wine openers, coolers for wine, non-electric coffee pots, coffee stirrers and non-electric coffee grinders; household utensils, namely graters, spatulas and rolling pins; containers for household or kitchen use, all relating to an ongoing television series

Note also this comment by GRRM made on the 17th of January 2009:

Unfortunately, the HBO swords will use different designs. The show has its own armorers, who will do their own original designs on the weapons and armor as seen in the series.

As to why you might want to buy these... well, for the same reason you might want to buy a Valyrian resin of Ned that does not look like Sean Bean, or a Dark Sword mini of Jon Snow that does not look like Kit Harington. Do you want a keepsake of the books, or of the TV show? If the show goes forward, you will have your choice.

Also, in the specific case of these swords, I retained the right to license out high-quality steel replica swords, and that license is held by Valyrian Steel. HBO has the right to license inexpensive toy replica swords. So if you'd prefer something made of plastic that you can pick up at Wal-Mart, that may indeed be available at a later date... and will look just like the weapons in the series.

HBO also has exclusive rights to do lunchboxes, key rings, and bobblehead dolls, among other things. It was a VERY long and complicated negotiation.

Source: http://grrm.livejournal.com/127086.html?thread=8334190#t8334190

What GoT merchandise would you like to see?

* C 021. US 002 013 023 029 030 033 040 050. G & S: Cosmetic brushes, eye shadow brushes, eyebrow brushes, lip brushes, make-up brushes, nail brushes, powder puffs; mugs, drinking glasses, shot glasses, dishes, plates, bowls, cups, saucers and trays made of glassware, porcelain, ceramic or earthenware; wine buckets, wine openers, coolers for wine, non-electric coffee pots, coffee stirrers and non-electric coffee grinders; household utensils, namely graters, spatulas and rolling pins; containers for household or kitchen use, all relating to an ongoing television series

Hot Pie rolling pin.

Maybe we'll see HBO get a microbrewer to produce Winterfell Ale, or a vintner to bottle some Arbor Gold (those bottles from LA's Worldcon might gain some unexpected value, if anyone can figure out how to sell them to collectors without breaking state laws).

Good stuff.

* IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Toys; action figures; collectible figurines; games; playing cards; costume masks; lottery tickets; decorations for Christmas trees; Christmas tree ornaments; toy model and replica arms and armor; toy model and replica swords; toy model and replica knives; all the aforementioned goods relating to an ongoing television series

Bloody Mummers action figures for me :drool:

Well, we're now more than 1/2 way through February, so an announcement on the show should come in, maybe 3 weeks or so, perhaps 4? The fact that they continue to put in for these trademarking licenses is very heartening, assuming these things get turned over by the Govt. office fairly timely. It may be they did these all a while ago and the trademarks office is only just processing them, I don't know. But if they are still submitting these this late, it seems even more likely to me that they intend to greenlight.

Oh, the wait for the news is suddenly getting hard for me. :(

The fact that they continue to put in for these trademarking licenses is very heartening, assuming these things get turned over by the Govt. office fairly timely. It may be they did these all a while ago and the trademarks office is only just processing them, I don't know.

The trademark applications are signed and dated by a HBO representative and the date given is the 9th of February 2010 (and I just checked and one of them seems to have been submitted on the 9th at around 15:02:26 EST). The status of the new trademarks are "Newly filed application, not yet assigned to an examining attorney". It'll be a while before they are registered/approved, not least because once they have been published for opposition time needs to be given to allow for third parties to lodge an objection.

The trademark applications are signed and dated by a HBO representative and the date given is the 9th of February 2010 (and I just checked and one of them seems to have been submitted on the 9th at around 15:02:26 EST). The status of the new trademarks are "Newly filed application, not yet assigned to an examining attorney". It'll be a while before they are registered/approved, not least because once they have been published for opposition time needs to be given to allow for third parties to lodge an objection.

Yeah, I was too lazy to actually look at them. That's good to know - at this stage it feels like a bit more than just basic ass covering, but it could be.

Yeah, I was too lazy to actually look at them. That's good to know - at this stage it feels like a bit more than just basic ass covering, but it could be.

Yeah, it's really hard to judge these things. I'm just waiting for them to register the logo as a trademark!

This is the most awesome idea the boards have ever yielded. Myrddin is god.

:lol:

Put me in charge of action figure design and we'll have an assortment of figures with removable heads, noses, limbs, and morals. ;)

Archived