AGoT Music from a slightly different angle

LordNedsHead

POSSIBLE SPOILERS ON THIS THREAD!!!

Let's play a game. Before I explain. I know that many of you feel that midieval music is the way to go for the series. I tend to agree from a personal standpoint.

One the that HBO and D&D must consider though is viewrship outsid of the core fanbase and I submit that the music they choose for the series is one way they might be able to attract new viewers from outside the fanboi demo. I think that modern music should be kept out of the show during the bulk of the episode. Modern music and the setting of the show wouldn't go together imo. But I would like to see some modern songs with clever meanings behind them fade in at the end of an episode as the credits roll. Again, it might be a nice way to get keep some non-fantasy viewrs watching the show. Also, HBO might be able to make a few bucks with a soundtrack DVD if the show takes off.

With that in mind, here's the game.

Let's think of a modern (think sometime in the last oh, 60 years or so) song that can be used as themes for all the major Houses and/or characters in the series. Also, if you have any good songs that would fit as tags for the end of an episode cite the scene that would come before the credits and the song that would go with it. Try to link the song if possible so those that want to play along can hear it. Don't forget to include the artist as well.

I have a few suggestions to serve as examples.

First off is my absolute favorite. I can't hear this song without seeing vivid imagery from the books in my head. It would be perfect to use for and episode ending at or beyond the Wall featuring Jon Black. Personally I even think it would serve as a damn fine series themesong for the opening credits. Picture the crow flying around over all the locations of Westeros as you listen to it. Its Raven Black Night by Gov't Mule.

Another strong one would be Metallica's

for the Ironborn. I particularly like it if they would show Euron's arrival at the end of an episode. Or maybe even Balon's death with a shadowy Euron (if he indeed did the deed) watching him fall. This song (I know its abouth Cthulu from HP Lovecraft) totally reminds me of a Kraken rising from the sea to lay waste to the shoreline.

Some other possible choice would be Tom Petty's Learning to Fly if they ended an ep with Bran's Dream, Fleetwood Mac'sLittle Liesif they used the scene where Ned is betrayed by Littlefinger and taken prisoner, and maybe even

by Rage Against the Machine for the first time we see the contingency from Dorne.

So there you have it. Some examples that may or may not fit with the show. I'd love to hear other choices from the rest of you!

by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

by B.O.C.

by P.J. Harvey makes me think of a certain Lady Stoneheart...

4.Anything from the Rum, Sodomy and the Lash by The Pogues. Maybe

, or
reminds me of Tyrion for some reason...

5. Love Kate Nash (I can see her as Ygrette), her song "Nicest thing" is pretty.

6. Arcade Fire's song

for Jon,
for Robb, or
for Bran.

7. David Bowie song "Heroes"

8. Elliott Smiths'

9. TV on the Radio's

10. Anything by Radiohead, "No surprises" comes to mind because we've never had surprises in this series...

is appropriate too.

- I could go on and on....But I wont. :-D

Oops I lied- Hercules and Love Affair -

for Arya ;) ...

• 11 months later...

Here's the House of Stark Theme:

- many others by the amazing Los Lobos to be found on Youtube.

Lyrics

I can see any number of scenes of Stark children (running scared now forced to hide, in a land where he once stood with pride) in many a setting throughout the series.

--

Spoke with one of the guys from The Sword via Twitter, and they noted that the bonus track (instrumental version of To Take the Black; it's available on Spotify for those who have it) was something that they thought the producers may be aware of. I got the impression that an agent of theirs sent it in to HBO or some such, though they were a bit cagey about it.

Well, to be fair to the thread- the songs suggested wouldn't be during an episode, but at the end when credits roll. HBO is kind of known for doing this with it's shows. True Blood, Boardwalk Empire, The Wire, Deadwood, etc..- all had an end song during the credits- a nice endcap to what happened on the episode. Sometimes the songs are modern, sometimes not- but always an interesting choice.

Archived