Game 71.5

DJDonegal

Ok, so why is this big "do not cross" lanyard between us? :uhoh:

Was this directed at me, and if so ... um, what does it mean?

Just reread that post without a prejustice... if your role allows this.

I have and the two joke lines seem forced to me and out of place. They didn't evolve organically out of any previous conversations (unless you go back a ways). The rest of the statement seems fairly serious on the heels of Mina's question to me. Perhaps it is the Mina/Lany combo that felt more like piling on than a joke. It also might be that ...

Gert and I always bump heads, no matter we are innocent or not.

So I will let it go for now unvote since I am the only one having hinkies about it.

I feel uncomfortable that LC hasn't really engaged in anything yet. I am also uncomfortable that Spidey switched to me when it seemed like there may be momentum headed my way.

I feel uncomfortable that LC hasn't really engaged in anything yet.

I agree. Kat hasn't really said much either.

I am also uncomfortable that Spidey switched to me when it seemed like there may be momentum headed my way.

This is, I think, a bit of a stretch. Other than this post by Malc:

Gert, I wonder why so strong player like you is trying to make a fuss out of such obviously joking post. It looks absolutely innocentish from my PoV.

What do you think about Speedy and Piper?

why do you think momentum could have swung your way?

Both Mina and Pebbles' votes were really old.

Oh, I see now.

Hmmm. This sounds to me slightly like a tell we had back in the days, where people who said they were innocent were likely to be guilty. The logic was very similar, as a killer was more likely to proclaim an innocence which he needed to convince the town of than an actual innocence, who would be much more non-challant about it.

Anyway, we don't really use it anymore. Tells stop being so when the FM know about them, and it wasn't really that reliable to begin with. I can't say I agree with your logic, but I do see where you're coming from now.

You may carry on :P

These things are cyclical - there are too many potential tells for scum to consider them all, after all. The fact that it has fallen out of favour actually counts for it in this case. In the couple of games I've watched, I've seen more than a few examples of this, so I feel it has some validity.

Only if the killers were inexperienced. Neither Spidey or me are new to this game. It's also very easy to blend into the innocent crowd at the beginning of the game, especially when it's unalted and we're talking nonsense all of the time.

Experience has nothing to do with this. I've seen established and new players alike fall foul of this particular tell - the urge to use one's knowledge is always a strong one. And I hate "XXX is too good a player to fall for that" nonsense, since most of what makes a player good at this game is not his ability to avoid making mistakes, but his ability to recover from them.

I take your point that blending in is slightly less of a factor in an unalted game though.

It is day 1.

12 players remain: Chairman Meow, Gertrude, Kat, LCOTNW, Lany Cassandra, Mentat, Mina Martell, Pebble That Hides, Piper of Chaos, Ser Spidey, Sir Thursday, TheMalcolm.

7 votes are needed for a conviction or 6 to go to night.

4 votes for Ser Spidey (Sir Thursday, Lany Cassandra, Piper of Chaos, TheMalcolm)

3 votes for Gertrude (Mina Martell, Pebble That Hides, Ser Spidey)

1 vote for Chairman Meow (Kat)

1 vote for Kat (Chairman Meow)

1 vote for Piper of Chaos (Mentat)

2 players have not voted: Gertrude, LCOTNW.

I'm going to be away now for about 2-3 hours. Football in the cold and rain. Lovely.

Still back in plenty of time before the end of day. :)

This is, I think, a bit of a stretch. Other than this post by Malc:

why do you think momentum could have swung your way?

Mina and Pebs votes were old, but still out there. I was getting questioned about picking on Lany by more than just Malc. I believe there was only one other person with 2 votes so it makes sense to start with a base rather than from scratch.

So I will let it go for now unvote since I am the only one having hinkies about it.

Why? You are only one, so what? Why to step back only because you haven't got a support?

I am not sure it's time for a compromise... and even if it was, you haven't voted for anybody else. You just surrender your standings after a slight pressure. This always looks bad.

These things are cyclical - there are too many potential tells for scum to consider them all, after all. The fact that it has fallen out of favour actually counts for it in this case. In the couple of games I've watched, I've seen more than a few examples of this, so I feel it has some validity.

Experience has nothing to do with this. I've seen established and new players alike fall foul of this particular tell - the urge to use one's knowledge is always a strong one. And I hate "XXX is too good a player to fall for that" nonsense, since most of what makes a player good at this game is not his ability to avoid making mistakes, but his ability to recover from them.

Umm...just a friendly advice. On this site, it's a null-tell. Seriously. We've surpassed that level ages ago and never came back to it, and I doubt we ever will. If you continue to push that kind of arguments, you'll be looked at sideways around here, and won't be taken seriously. Word.

I agree. Kat hasn't really said much either.

True, but the difference in my mind is that Kat hasn't been around other than for RP. LC was around a bit when we were serious but ducked out with 'I don't suspect anyone'.

Looking back, I guess Malc was the only one questioning me directly about the post I pointed out. The rest of the conversations were more pointed at Piper and the part he didn't like. Apparently I'm over-sensitive. Piper was the other one with 2 votes and Spidey was one of those. Malc and I had just said we didn't have a problem with Piper and it really didn't seem like anyone was looking at him.

Why? You are only one, so what? Why to step back only because haven't got a support?

I am not sure it's time for a compromise... and even if it was, you haven't voted for anybody else. You just surrender your standings after a slight pressure. This always looks bad.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. After seeing reactions and thinking it over, it did seem more like the usual case of me and Lany butting heads rather than me finding an FM slip.

Umm...just a friendly advice. On this site, it's a null-tell. Seriously. We've surpassed that level ages ago and never came back to it, and I doubt we ever will. If you continue to push that kind of arguments, you'll be looked at sideways around here, and won't be taken seriously. Word.

I actually think Thursday has a point - it's not that good players don't make mistakes, it's that they recover well. True, we tend to play in a certain way, but saying we never do X is just wrong.

Why? You are only one, so what? Why to step back only because haven't got a support?

I find myself agreeing with Malc again. My main problem is-you didn't vote anyone else, so why remove vote? Is there somneone more suspicious than Lany? If there is, why didn't you vote him? Waiting to see which way the tide turns?

OTOH, if Lany is still the most suspicious to you, why remove it?

I'm still thinking it over. Just because it is day one where votes are free and easy doesn't mean that I have to have one on at all times. Yes, I was hoping for a little more discussion because while I have a few people I'd vote for, none of them are head and shoulders above anyone else.

For the record, it would be Spidey and LC vying for my vote at this point.

I actually think Thursday has a point - it's not that good players don't make mistakes, it's that they recover well. True, we tend to play in a certain way, but saying we never do X is just wrong.

Are you serious? :worried:

What Thursday is talking about is not actually a mistake - it's talking to the FM durnig the RP phase. You're seriously suggesting you believe that, in any circumstances, this can be indication of guilt?

Will be back in about 2 hours. My vote stays on Spidey, as there's no other convincing case out there. Willing to switch to Pebbles, LCOTNW and Kat. Of course we risk to loose/uncover our finder. I'm not sure if there is a healer or a vig who might bring us to odd, so a missed lynch might not hurt us as much as it usually does. But it still would hurt us IMO. :unsure:

Are you serious? :worried:

What Thursday is talking about is not actually a mistake - it's talking to the FM durnig the RP phase. You're seriously suggesting you believe that, in any circumstances, this can be indication of guilt?

So I'm clear, he's talking about the FM talking about themselves during RP. As in, 'watch out killers, I'm onto you.' I'm saying it's possible. I don't think it's reliable, but it's very possible. I have been known to crack a smug joke or two I shouldn't have when I am evil and feeling in a good position. That's all I'm saying and I like new perspectives when they join our community and I don't like people saying 'that's not the way we do it.' That's my main point I guess. Explain why you don't think it's a tell, but don't just shut them down entirely. Word.

So I'm clear, he's talking about the FM talking about themselves during RP. As in, 'watch out killers, I'm onto you.' I'm saying it's possible. I don't think it's reliable, but it's very possible. I have been known to crack a smug joke or two I shouldn't have when I am evil and feeling in a good position. That's all I'm saying and I like new perspectives when they join our community and I don't like people saying 'that's not the way we do it.' That's my main point I guess. Explain why you don't think it's a tell, but don't just shut them down entirely. Word.

I am innocent.

+ I just did this.

= It's a null tell.

;)

Sorry for disappearing. The computer was occupied this morning when I woke up, and then I went out for lunch with my grandmother and sister. (I love spring break.)

I've only skimmed through the last few pages, but first impressions: I'm still getting very bad vibes from Gert. (Regardless of what you think of gender slips, I thought her reaction to my question and to Spidey's "case" was a little nervous, and her late Lany vote-and-unvote came across as very disingenuous. She isn't acting like innocent Gert.) I also suspect Piper--people have already mentioned this, but his vote on TheMalcolm for posting while drunk was pretty terrible. Not sure what to make of Ser Spidey, because some of his arguments have been...um, dubious. Feeling good about Sir Thursday, mentat, and to a lesser extent, Malc, Lany, and Pebble. Disclaimer: I may completely change my mind when I reread more closely and discover that I missed the post in which mentat confessed to being an FM.

Whatever happened to LCOTNW, Chairman Meow, and Kat?

There, Piper. Short and sweet.

...But not for long. Now to take a closer look and start responding to individual posts. Prepare for a monster wishy-washy wall post of doom! MWAHAHAHAHA!

I'm going to head for my raid, and won't be back until 15 min. before the day ends. But now, it's time for some wishy-washyness!

Lynching a strong player on day one with very little evidence is not something I feel too comfortable doing... Maybe lynching the low posters and investigating the strong players would be a better way to proceed. On the other hand I've come to the conclusion that FM always play their worst during the early phases of the game and that, contrary to popular perception, this can be one of the best times to catch them.

In all honesty... dunno.

I think I'd rather go with my first instinct for today. I'm voting LCOTNW

Archived