GoT Webisodes

Ninepenny

The purpose of this thread is to discuss whether you think GoT should employ webisodes, what they should cover and when, and the likelihood that it would actually happen.

Webisodes are short side-episodes (not necessarily live-action) of a TV series first broadcast over the Internet (streaming and/or download). When released before a season they generally serve to hook people's interest, introduce them to the show and generate hype. When released during a season they generally serve to supplement and complement specific episodes. When release during a mid-season hiatus they generally serve to keep people's interest during the break. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webisode for details.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss whether you think GoT should employ webisodes, what they should cover and when, and the likelihood that it would actually happen. Personally I think it would be very helpful to have webisodes introducing people to the different houses and locations of Westeros. They could also do webisodes which explain the history of Westeros and the religions, and perhaps even the culture. Obviously there is the argument that the best way for people to get to know the world is through the story, but I think as there will be a lot to cover it could help people get to grips with it and allow for some more depth in explanations which might not really be that easy to convey through in-show dialogue. I'm not sure what of that should be broadcast prior to the pilot episode.

Does HBO have webisodes for any of their existing shows or have they indicated their view on them or intention to have them on any of their future shows?

HBO did three webisodes for The Wire, but this was when it was into something like the 4th or 5th season already and were early stories about several characters that were by then well known to the audience. Kind of little insights into where they came from. One was Omar at like 13 doing his first stick up, another was Prop Joe in middle school already working on deals to get what he wants, "I have a proposition for you...", the last was the first time Bunk and McNulty meet on Jimmy's first day at Homicide.

Not so sure about other shows. To be honest, I'm generally not a fan of webisodes. I'm not really sure how they would be used for this show. I suppose you could fill out some smaller dialogue scenes that would otherwise be cut from the show. Things that aren't necessary, but might fill in some of the details and atmosphere that inevitably will get lost in transferring the story from novel to screen. Maybe they can let the characters monologue a lot of the stuff that is internal thoughts in the book.

One problem I foresee is that they will already be pretty hard pressed to just get the damn episodes done, and the budget is already considerable, I wonder if they will want to spend more production and actor's time on these sorts of things. Again, if they keep it to simpler, small dialogues between a couple of characters in a room, or a monologue by a single character, it might not be too complicated, time consuming or expensive to shoot.

Webisodes were very popular whilst they could get made for free (the actors and writers didn't need to be paid any more for them). However, the 2008 Writer's Strike restructured how webisodes and the like are handled, and they've dropped off in popularity a little since then. The Wire webisodes were more like promos than proper webisodes as well.

The type of things being discussed - articles and short films about Westeros' geography and backdrop - are more like the website articles and short clips HBO created for Rome when it was airing, such as brief documentary-style clips expanding on the historical events versus the show's dramatisation and so forth. I can imagine HBO doing a GoT website featuring information like that.

I could actually see the Dunk & Egg stories being webisodes or HBO Movies, sort of like "BSG The Plan" and its webisodes. And Razor.

I suspect these would be full-on TV or even theatrical movies if the main series is a big success.

I suspect these would be full-on TV or even theatrical movies if the main series is a big success.

Very probably. I'm just saying that webisodes are not out of the question.

Worst case, we'll get some flashbacks as webisodes. Where they'll mention something on the show, and film it for the net.

Or we won't get webisodes.

Webisodes were very popular whilst they could get made for free (the actors and writers didn't need to be paid any more for them). However, the 2008 Writer's Strike restructured how webisodes and the like are handled, and they've dropped off in popularity a little since then.

Being the series produced by a US company, but with filming taking place in Ireland and most of the actors being from the UK, will US laws apply in this kind of matters?

Anyway, I'd love to see mobisodes. Some of the ones from Lost were really great and really can help to flesh out characters. Being the story as complex as it is, I'm sure they wouldn't have any problem finding some small scenes to film.

As the writers will mostly (all?) be members of the Writer's Guild of America, I would say their deal regarding webisodes will apply. Most actors being part of British Equity, OTOH ... I don't know what sort of arrangements they may make regarding such things.

The writers will be bound by the WGA terms and conditions on these things. The American actors, notably Peter Dinklage and Jason Momoa, will also be limited by the SAG terms and conditions on webisodes and other material. British performers work under different rules, which I'm not too sure about. British-based shows have some extra clips on websites and things, but not webisodes as such.

That's my thinking. The Hedge Knight I think would need little added to make for a good feature length film. The Sworn Sword a fair bit more, probably, though they could use it as an opportunity to show more about the Blackfyre Rebellion, which would fill out the story more.

Archived