Just ordered HBO

Maxxy

Well, I finally ordered HBO. Only did it, in the hopes that the pilot will be aired in March/April!

Hopefully all goes well. I got to wonder how many others besides myself, is ordering HBO, only due to "Game Of Thrones"?

Not being much of a TV person, my husband was surprised that I wanted to order it. I explained to him the reason for doing so. He has watched me read the books, numerous times, so pretty understanding about it. Hopefully, the series will get the long run. If not, I am canceling lol!

I'm afraid there's simply no chance the pilot will be aired early this year. Late next year, as a sneak preview? It'd be unprecedented, but can't rule it out if HBO's looking to change up how it promotes its shows. Then again, SyFy tried this with Caprica -- releasing the pilot on DVD months before the show's premiere -- and it seems to have hurt ratings.

That said, if you've any way of letting them know you've subscribed in support of Game of Thrones, that's probably not a bad thing. I think there's a feedback thing on their website. Provide a subscription identifier or something.

The Head of HBO Drama was talking about March/April 2011 to premiere the whole show, not this year.

OTOH, between The Pacific, Treme and Boardwalk Empire, I'd say it's definitely worth picking up HBO now anyway. Letting HBO know of your support for the show and the network might also be a good idea.

The Head of HBO Drama was talking about March/April 2011 to premiere the whole show, not this year.

OTOH, between The Pacific, Treme and Boardwalk Empire, I'd say it's definitely worth picking up HBO now anyway. Letting HBO know of your support for the show and the network might also be a good idea.

Thanks you guys! I somehow missed it, thinking it was this Mar/April. Thank you for letting me know.

I will check on those other shows, thank you for the recomendation.

Other then the fact that Trueblood will be back on around June, NO WAY would I order HBO this early just because of GoT. I usually just watch Trueblood off the net anyway.

Oh and Ran- Caprica the movie/pilot while interesting, is really just SYFY's way of trying to milk the dead cow that is/was BSG- we already know what happens and after the pilot episode we know how it got started. Not interested in the fluff drama in between. I loved BSG but it was about 2 seasons too long because of all the drama love triangle BS that had NOTHING to do with the story.

I already have a satellite dish, so, yeah, if AGOT is lined up I will add it to the menu! :thumbsup: I had HBO when The Sopranos was airing, but dropped it soon after they ended their run. Actually, I know quite a few people who are planning to subscribe to HBO if AGOT is scheduled. People love ASOIAF!

Well I went ahead and canceled it. I told them, I would re-order once "AGOT" starts.

Take care everyone. HBO sounds like they have better shows then reg TV. Never the less, I think I will wait til the pilot comes out, and save some money until then.

I had heard about Deadwood, but it had been canceled, by the time someone told me about it. I went out and bought the series. I know, it was very expensive. I thought it was great, despite the really bad language in it:)Great writing, and acting. I did really like it. Now, if they had not canceled that one, I would grab HBO quickly.

I had not watched TV for about 14 years, until that Deadwood show that I had bought. I now watch Monk, another one that was canceled. Seems like I am coming in at the end of all these shows. Now that I am retired, I do have the time to watch some tv.

By the way, why did they cancel Deadwood? Does anyone know?

HBO's "The Wire" is the best show ever made. It's hard to get into for some; the story develops over a long period of time, so for the first few episodes it feels to many like nothing much is happening, but really a lot is. It's just laying the groundwork for a 60 episode, 5 season long story, so 5 or 6 hours of set-up has to be expected. Give it time, realize it requires some pretty intense concentration and watching it will be very rewarding.

For HBO mini-series, the three big ones are probably "Band of Brothers," "John Adams" and "Angels in America." Of the three, I think "Angels in America" is my favorite, with "Band of Brothers" a close second. "Angels" is based on the two Tony Award winning plays of the same name by Tony Kushner (who also did the adaptation for the mini-series) and it's about as well written as anything you'll ever see. The acting is also amazing, with Meryl Streep, Al Pacino, Jeffrey Wright, Mary Louise Parker, Justin Kirk, Emma Thompson and Patrick Wilson, among others. The show pretty much swept the Emmys and Golden Globes.

Showtime has also been doing some very good shows. My favorite of theirs is "Weeds." "Dexter" is also fun and a lot of people really like "United States of Tara," though I only watched the first season. It was good, but not my favorite.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived