The Judging Eye VI

Nerdanel

I noticed two things on my re-read. I'm not sure if they been noticed before -

1)At least from the descriptions, regular Anagogic sorcerors seem to turn into salt statues that then fall to the ground when hit by a chorae. Cishaurim, on the other hand, are described as disappearing in a flash of light.

2)Akka's doll. If you think about it, that doll is basically immortal in the world, since the soul is bound to it. It's also capable of movement. I wonder if any of the sorcerors have thought about something like that - binding yourself (or have someone else bind you) into some type of manufactured form (like a giant doll or homunculus equivalent) so as to stave off death and damnation. There is that Shaeonarra info that came up in the PoN fan art thread.

Possibilities for the mechanism of the Consult form of immortality:

Their souls are bound to:

A. dolls/constructs

B. their own (un)dead bones

C. living bodies that are changed regularly before they wear out

D. some random object D&D lich style

E. all of the above

Possibilities for the mechanism of the Consult form of immortality:

Their souls are bound to:

A. dolls/constructs

B. their own (un)dead bones

C. living bodies that are changed regularly before they wear out

D. some random object D&D lich style

E. all of the above

F. Their souls are bound to the Ark itself, which is "alive"

I could see the Consult members going for constructs, since we definitely know that they have them (the human-head bird, although that was a case of Aurang being projected into it). Actual physical immortality may have been an option (or might still be one), but that sounds kind of iffy considering that the Inchoroi number far less than the last time they administered an immortality treatment (what are the odds that Aurax and Aurang just happen to have the skills necessary to do so?).

I'd probably be tempted to try that myself if I was a sorcerer in the Bakkerworld. Make a human-sized doll or other form (I wonder if you could do it with metal, or at least something stronger than doll fabric), then either bind yourself or have one of your buddies bind your soul to it when you are getting fairly old.

The PoN fan art thread raises this:

Who runs the Consult? Who is Aurang (or was it Aurax) afraid would not approve?

The Consult as a whole? Even if Aurang/Aurax is afraid, doesn't mean he will always influence the whole consult as he pleases. Even if one person is the most influential, doesn't mean that person always will get the group as a whole to see it his/her way. For all we know this could be it and leadership in the consult is fleeting.

Okay, let's go with that.

He was the leader when it was founded - 1200 years before they met the Inchies and Mek.

Why would you think that after meeting with the alien race on the planet and nonmen erratics that their order of operation would remain the same? Especially after 1200 years before + another 2000 years now?

The Consult is an Anarcho-Syndicalist commune. They take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week. But all the decisions of that officer must be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting, by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs, but by a two-thirds majority in the case... (and so on) :)

That is,

Seriously though, we don't know. Aurang seems to be fairly high, but even he reports back to Golgotterath. One that could outrank him from what we know today would be Shaeönanra - that is, if he is reasonably fit for the top job after 2,000+ years of his alternative lifestyle, whatever that may be. I somehow don't see Aurax as the big boss, even though that may be a possibility - it's actually possible we've haven't even seen him yet, even if it is the general consensus that it's him at the end of WP.

Mek could be a candidate, but is not in Golgotterath and seems to be slightly too batshit insane for the job.

I'm still curious about who Aurang reports to. I doubt it's Shaeonanra. Because in his one POV chapter in TTT, he seems slightly amused that it was humans who resurrected him. He also calls the Mangaecca "vermin".

And Mekeritrig is definitely not the leader, since he says he rides for the Consult.

The No-God is obviously the big boss, but he's dead for the moment.

Um... It got better.

ETA: Who describes it as dead? The Inchoroi? Or someone who wouldn't necessarily know better?

In TTT, there's one of Akka's Dreams in which he/Seswatha and Nau-Cayuti are climbing up through the Incu-Holoinas, and Seswatha mentions that he'd heard that the halls of the Ark might have been lined with flesh and veins at first - he says the ship is its "bones".

"There are some," Achamian whispered, "who argue that the entire Ark is a thing of bone, that vein and skin once pulsed across these walls."

"You mean the Ark once lived?"

Achamian nodded, even as he swallowed for dread. "The Inchoroi call themselves Children of the Ark. The most ancient Nonmen lays refer to them as the Orphans."

No idea whether that's true or not. It might not be surprising in the Inchoroi's case - so much of their science touches on biological stuff.

Archived