liberalism atheism and sexual exclusivity in men linked to IQ

Cuellar

CNN Article

Interesting article that basically says:

The IQ differences, while statistically significant, are not stunning -- on the order of 6 to 11 points -- and the data should not be used to stereotype or make assumptions about people, experts say. But they show how certain patterns of identifying with particular ideologies develop, and how some people's behaviors come to be.

Discuss! I'm not particularly suprised. It'd be interested to look at 3rd world countries which generally have lower average IQs (due to nutrion) and the opposite beliefs.

EDIT: Just a quick note, it is probably even more interesting that the article suggests it may have nothing to do with IQ, just people with higher IQs tend to want to stand out and align themselves with "unconventional philosopies". :fencing:

2nd Edit: Link two: time article

I don't believe in IQ as it only deals with three types of intelligences when there are a variety of intelligences. The intelligences in IQ are the same intelligences school deals with, and as we all know, Einstein (known as the smartest man in the world, in case you didn't know) failed school. And Einstein also believed in God.

The idea that we can even measure how smart someone is, is completely absurd.

I don't believe in IQ as it only deals with three types of intelligences when there are a variety of intelligences. The intelligences in IQ are the same intelligences school deals with, and as we all know, Einstein (known as the smartest man in the world, in case you didn't know) failed school. And Einstein also believed in God.

The idea of "mutiple intelligences" is an extreme minority position among psychologists. Most of them find the evidence endorsing the existence a general factor convincing.

And Einstein did not fail in school. That's a myth.

Then how can Einstein be "the smartest man in the world?" According to your statement, it is impossible to measure.

You cut of the part where I said "known as" it doesn't mean he is the smartest man in the world, but he is known as the smartest man in the world. People use him to sell products (like yogurt lol) because of that label.

[...] The intelligences in IQ are the same intelligences school deals with, and as we all know, Einstein (known as the smartest man in the world, in case you didn't know) failed school. And Einstein also believed in God.

Albert Einstein did not fail school. At the Luitpold-Gymnasium in München he was an outstanding student in science classes and mathematics. He was well-read in philosophy and learned to play the violin from an early age, too.

By the way, it seems rather strange to proclaim Einstein "the smartest man in the world" just after boldly deriding empirical concepts of intelligence - especially when one does so 'in case' we (who are obviously more familiar with both Albert Einstein and intelligence) 'didn't know'.

You cut of the part where I said "known as" it doesn't mean he is the smartest man in the world, but he is known as the smartest man in the world.

That is misleading since "known as" implies that those people for whom "he is known as the smartest man in the world" actually know that. But they obviously don't, since they have no method of measuring smartness.

Nevertheless, I share your scepticism regarding (at least some of the) empirical research (ie measuring) of and theorising about the concept of intelligence in cognitive science and psychology.

And Einstein also had a high IQ. IQ is a good way to test for intelligence because it doesn't necessarily test for learning and/or knowledge as it does critical thinking, memory, attention to detail, speed, etc. You can score very high on IQ tests with little formal schooling. Most of these are attributes which are linkable to high intelligence.

From the first article:

Bailey also said that these preferences may stem from a desire to show superiority or elitism, which also has to do with IQ. In fact, aligning oneself with "unconventional" philosophies such as liberalism or atheism may be "ways to communicate to everyone that you're pretty smart," he said.

so, being left-wing is an elitist position? Interesting idea.

But what about "all men are equal", then? :D

And btw, in my country (Germany) being on the left is in no way an "unconventional philosophy".

Bailey also said that these preferences may stem from a desire to show superiority or elitism, which also has to do with IQ. In fact, aligning oneself with "unconventional" philosophies such as liberalism or atheism may be "ways to communicate to everyone that you're pretty smart," he said.

Years on the internet have convinced me this is true. Even those who don't share higher intelligences will adopt the philosophies of those who do as a way to signal the herd that they are to be taken seriously. I believe strongly that the facilitation to communication granted by the internet is causative in the decrease in religiosity and increase in progressivism in the modern world. Not necessarily because more people have "learned" that there is no God, but due to simple peer pressure. On the internet, the smartest and most witty person is the Quarterback of the Team, who everyone wants to be like.

The sexual exclusivity thing is interesting though.

Lol, okay so Eistein was a bad example. Issac Neuton believed in God, he even predicted the apocalypse in 2060, haha.

Bill Gates dropped out of college, who wasn't good at school, and created his own multi-million dollar business. He went on to create a school for visual, hand-on learners like him.

I have my issues with the concept of "IQ" and IQ testing, however, I think some of us - Arya - are failing to look at cultural context here. I doubt there were many "atheists" in Western Europe in the 1700s.

(And here I thought the Apocalypse is coming in two years... ;))

(And why are the ads for this thread for gay dating sites?)

Lol, okay so Eistein was a bad example. Issac Neuton believed in God, he even predicted the apocalypse in 2060, haha.

Bill Gates dropped out of college, who wasn't good at school, and created his own multi-million dollar business. He went on to create a school for visual, hand-on learners like him.

Some people drop out of school because they aren't very intelligent. Some people drop out of school because they don't have the work ethic or motivation to apply their talents. An IQ test will normally differentiate the two.

Years on the internet have convinced me this is true. Even those who don't share higher intelligences will adopt the philosophies of those who do as a way to signal the herd that they are to be taken seriously. I believe strongly that the facilitation to communication granted by the internet is causative in the decrease in religiosity and increase in progressivism in the modern world. Not necessarily because more people have "learned" that there is no God, but due to simple peer pressure. On the internet, the smartest and most witty person is the Quarterback of the Team, who everyone wants to be like.

The sexual exclusivity thing is interesting though.

"Years on the internet have convinced me this is true..." Is never a good way to start a sentence lol. I think you have a big fat juicy stick stuck up your ass, in a joking sense of course lol, I have no doubt that you consider yourself one of those intelligent people.

I think wisdom and intelligence are two different things. I think intelligence has nothing more to do than using certain points in your brain. While I think wisdom is a gift that does not discriminate against intelligence, education, or being mentally limited. Wisdom is a gift from the holy spirit, it is gift for the humble and the ones who have a soul full of pure love. Anyone can be wise, but few ever recieve the gift. There was even a saint who was mentally handicapped. But in this society people like to outrank each other. People like to say I'm better than you.

And there is no better way to say I'm better than you than saying I'm more intelligent than you.

Oh and as for Bill Gates:

Gates graduated from Lakeside School in 1973. He scored 1590 out of 1600 on the SAT[18] and subsequently enrolled at Harvard College in the autumn of 1973.[19] Prior to the mid-1990s, an SAT score of 1590 corresponded roughly to an IQ of 170,[20] a figure that has been cited frequently by the press.[21]

- via Wikipedia

"Years on the internet have convinced me this is true..." Is never a good way to start a sentence lol. I think you have a big fat juicy stick stuck up your ass, in a joking sense of course lol, I have no doubt that you consider yourself one of those intelligent people.

Harsh man.

I think wisdom and intelligence are two different things.

I agree.

Wisdom is a gift from the holy spirit, it is gift for the humble and the ones who have a soul full of pure love. Anyone can be wise, but few ever recieve the gift. There was even a saint who was mentally handicapped. But in this society people like to outrank each other. People like to say I'm better than you.

A spirit filled Christian? On the internet no less!

Archived