March 2010 Reading

Ski the Swift

Mostly reading lit journals and magazines this month, but I did start reading Adrian Tchaikovsky's Empire in Black and Gold just to change the pace a bit. Too early to weigh in on it (will likely read the second book, Dragonfly Falling, as well this month, since I have review copies of both). Also will be reading Pasternak's Doctor Zhivago, re-reading Roberto Arlt's El jorobadito, and Roberto Bolaño's soon-to-be-released El Tercer Reich.

Finished Clockers by Richard Price. I really, really liked it, but the pacing was a little off in the last quarter, and it felt like the story just sort of shambled to a stop. Still, I can easily see why it's considered a modern classic in some circles.

Also? Apparently it's 'knockos' not 'narcos'. I had no idea - I've only ever heard it (in a thick American accent no less), and never seen it written down before. Learn something new every day.

Having very little time to read last month puts me just about finished with Charlie Huston's Sleepless. It's very good, and mostly not what I expected.

2. Farlander by Colin Buchanan

4. The King of the Crags by Stephen Deas

13. Wolfsangel by M. D. Lachlan

Gyrehead, what did you think about these three?

Finished Blackout by Connie Willis last week. Too bad I didn't realize going into it that I would have to wait until October to find out what happens. I could see I was getting to the end and I realized there was no way it could finish in the amount of book left... it's not like it even ended at a good ending point, more like she just cut it in half :tantrum:

Still, it was excellent, and I can't wait for All Clear

Just started the first book in the Engineer trilogy by K.J. Parker. Only a few chapters in, but liking it so far.

Finished The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson, which was a very satisfying ending to the trilogy IMO.

I also read Arturo Perez Reverte's El oro del rey (the kings's gold), which didn't disappoint.

And I'm currently halfway into Pride and Prejudice, which I had never read. I'm enjoying it so far.

After that it will probably be a toss between Kundera's The unbearable lightness of being, the follow-up of Alatriste's adventures, Abraham's A betrayal in winter or Orwell's A clergyman's daughter. Depending on my mood.

I finished Havemercy by Jaida Jones and Danielle Bennett. It is not my cup of tea. I skimmed the last 100 pages just so I can finish it and move on to the next book. I'm about 50 pages into Malcolm Gladwell's What the Dog Saw and enjoying it so far.

In reference to posts on the February thread:

Do you think he actually read all of that, or just compiled the list from random book titles?

Jealous? :leer:

Gyrehead, do you have some sort of strategy that helps you read so much? Do you skim? I'm insanely envious of people that can read half of what you manage in a month.

Hopefully by the end of this one I'll have four or five books done. :worried:

In reference to posts on the February thread:

Jealous? :leer:

Yes, to a certain, realistic degree. Say 8-10 books per month?

I knew some guys who boasted reading a book a day or very close. In one month time when you asked them about the book's content............they barely remembered the name of the book :) So, you see. I could flip through 30 books per month too, although even just turning every page of 30 books, each one on average 500 pages...I am not sure I would have enough time :P

I wish I could read a book per week. As it stands I read a book per month.

End of February/beginning of March:

Sleepless by Charlie Huston. This is quite a change of style for Huston, less pulp, more description and with multiple, often confusing, POVs. While it was a great concept, and while I continue to be impressed at the amount of research he puts into his pseudo-science, the entire execution of the story fell flat for me. Perhaps he should have tried to tell it in a simpler, more linear, manner.

The Hallowed Hunt by Lois MacMaster Bujold. Competantly constructed and delivered standalone in the Chalion world.

I knew some guys who boasted reading a book a day or very close. In one month time when you asked them about the book's content............they barely remembered the name of the book :) So, you see. I could flip through 30 books per month too, although even just turning every page of 30 books, each one on average 500 pages...I am not sure I would have enough time :P

I'm not denying that the stereotype exists, but I really have trouble believing it's so common...or maybe it's just that I can't imagine why someone would skim something they're reading for pleasure.

I finished the Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop. I think it's fair to say that it's focus is on appealing to women, but I still found myself enjoying it, especially her writing style. On the other hand I just started Gardens of the Moon and struggled to get through the prologue. I'm not sure Erikson and I are going to connect where his prose is concerned. It's not exactly a criticism as much as a comment on my personal tastes.

Don't give up on Erikson just yet. I'd say read to book two, because that's where it really gets going, but if you hate book one you're not going to buy book two, so I'll just say this: finish book one before giving up. What's the harm, you've already bought it (or, I guess, loaned it).

Finished Stephen King's Firestarter. Great characterization. You can very easily sympathize with King's protagonists. While the premise is interesting, there wasn't a whole lot going on.

Started Robert Jordan's Lord of Chaos. Needless to say, I am almost 200 pages in and very, very little has happened. I hope this doesn't drag out for the remainder of the novel.

Don't give up on Erikson just yet. I'd say read to book two, because that's where it really gets going, but if you hate book one you're not going to buy book two, so I'll just say this: finish book one before giving up. What's the harm, you've already bought it (or, I guess, loaned it).

Oh I'll definitely give the man a chance. Even if he writing doesn't grow on me I'm sure he has other things going on that may hold my interest. At least that's what I've gathered from most of the opinions on here.

Currently reading Tales of Dying Earth by Jack Vance, mostly because I've heard it mentioned quite a few times on this board. I've only read the first chapter of the first book (The Dying Earth), but so far I'm definitely intrigued. The prose style is better than what I've found in other fantasy-type novels from around the same period (1950) - in other words (though this may be damning with faint praise), I didn't feel compelled to drop the book after a page or two due to the writing style.

I plan to read The Anubis Gates next, and I'll probably browse through Ten Thousand Kingdoms in the bookshop to see if its something I'd want to buy (I know that the author has a couple of sample chapters up on her website, but I can't much abide reading long passages of text on a computer screen. Hence my ever-growing where-am-I-going-to-put-all-these-damn-books problem...)

Avalon,

I am also reading 'Tales of the Dying Earth' by Jack Vance. I bought it after purchasing 'Songs of the Dying Earth' (when GRRM came for a book signing) and thinking I have no idea what this world is that all of these fine authors are writing about. I have to get a book by Jack Vance or I'm not going to understand what is going on. I am half way thorugh Gugel's Saga. I am really enjoying it and I think that it gets better as it goes along. Cugel is a sort of anti-hero who is always looking out for himself, but you warm to him pretty quickly. I'll not spoil it for you, by revealing any more.

Just saw the cool news about AGOT on GRRMs Not a Blog...awesome!

On the other hand I just started Gardens of the Moon and struggled to get through the prologue. I'm not sure Erikson and I are going to connect where his prose is concerned. It's not exactly a criticism as much as a comment on my personal tastes.

I don't think Erikson's prose is ever particularly great, but I did think it improved through the first few books in the series. I seem to remember the first book in particular having some very awkward prose.

Oh, I dunno. Some people can do it. I certainly can, at least within a reasonable degree. Asking me a blow-by-blow description of a minor scene might be pushing matters, but I do end up writing reviews of books I read weeks before (and 20-30 books later). Then again, several of the books I read are under 300 pages (which is a reasonable number; epic fantasy fans might disagree :P), so that might help matters. Then again, I've read hundreds of short stories this year and if you expect a detail summary of each, I might end up shoving a piece of rusty barbed wire up a particular orifice! :P

Archived