Reduction to 10 episodes

devotee

Sopranos? Now that I would have thought I would remember.

I remember thinking that they were odd because they would put things that happened several episodes ago. This was usually a clue that something relating to this character/event was going to happen in the upcoming show.

I think 10 is probably enough to tell the plot of the story, but a lot of you are missing an important factor, and that is character developement. I wonder if 10 is enough to flesh out so many characters as they were in the book.

I think 10 is probably enough to tell the plot of the story, but a lot of you are missing an important factor, and that is character developement. I wonder if 10 is enough to flesh out so many characters as they were in the book.

I can't say this any plainer.

10 hours is STILL 2 hours more than is necessary to capture EVERY SCENE AND NUANCE IN THE BOOK, SKIPPING NOTHING.

100 manuscript pages converts into the 60 script pages per episode, 800 pages in the book. the math is not that hard.

I can't say this any plainer.

10 hours is STILL 2 hours more than is necessary to capture EVERY SCENE AND NUANCE IN THE BOOK, SKIPPING NOTHING.

100 manuscript pages converts into the 60 script pages per episode, 800 pages in the book. the math is not that hard.

Well it's not exactly math is it? Depending on how the action goes, and how it's adapted, what happens to the pages can come out very differently - even if you stay absolutely 100% accurate. I fully expect the pilot segment, the beginning of the book, to be the easiest part to adapt. It's more about atmosphere and getting to know people. When the pieces start moving, the possibility of losing character depth in the name of pacing is very real.

But that does provide a good baseline. I think 10 episodes is perfect. They can stay mostly accurate, and still have room to play with the stickier things like character thoughts and how to portray that. Almost every season of ANY show I've watched I feel would have been just fine at 10 eps.

As I recall, the Rome's first season was ten episodes. Or maybe that was the second one. Either way, it worked out pretty well and both seasons had some degree of "dragging" filler. Granted, the nature of the adaptation is quite different, but I see no reason for concern. I don't even really care either way - it's being made! It'll be on TV!

Rome's second season was ten episodes, first was twelve.

It only bums me out because I am greedy and just want more of everything, but I don't think it's a problem for season one. I would think/hope season three, at least, would get a higher order, but we have to make it that far first.

Archived