AGOT Mafia Game 72 - Adventures Beyond The Wall

House Targaryen

What happened to fun Grandison? :thumbsdown:

Yeah, some of us don't need a professional comedian to make us giggle.

About your ideas: fair enough, though I feel targeting the very low posters is a sure way to make as uninformed a decision as possible. I'd rather you latched on to anything you personally found suspicious and gave it a shot, but that's just me.

I feel like such a killjoy now. That "yarrr" from Yarwyck looked so forlorn, too. Hey, I didn't say my jokes were any better.

Yeah, some of us don't need a professional comedian to make us giggle.

About your ideas: fair enough, though I feel targeting the very low posters is a sure way to make as uninformed a decision as possible. I'd rather you latched on to anything you personally found suspicious and gave it a shot, but that's just me.

Let me put it this way--depending on circumstances, I may decide to be flexible on Rule #2. At the moment, I think it's more productive to encourage content.

Are you saying by that "latching on to what I find suspicious" comment that I should go by my own gut rather than popular opinion? Do you think that low posters are more likely to be scum, or that it's a null tell?

Also, do you think me suggesting such a policy is scummy? Hey, I could be a devious FM trying to deny responsibility for my actions by defaulting to a lurker lynch.

Now I'm really off.

Rule #1: There shall be a vote count, and it shall work the same as usual, with one vote per player. And your king will do a half-assed job of keeping track of the votes, whenever he gets around to it (which isn't now, because I have to leave and I'm lazy). And His Majesty may or may not take into account your vote counts when making his final decision. But probably will, because King Grandison, first of his name, is a wimp.

Definitely agree that we should have a vote count, especially on day 1. Even if you aren't planning on using it to make your choice, at least pretend you are going to use it so people take it seriously. Should give us at least a little information to work with later in the game.

Tell me, are you dynamite with a laser beam?

No. But they are guaranteed to blow your mind.

By the way, was there any reason you commented on Harclay's flattery, but not on Plumm's?

Ya know? Talk about Keeping Up With The Plummashians.

Grandison, you've essentially announced you're going to waste Day 1 with this comment:

First priority for the lynch today shall be selected from a pool of players with six posts or fewer by three hours before the deadline ...unless they have a very convincing sob story for why they haven't contributed (Internet problems, influenza, cat dying, etc.). If no such players exist, then everyone is fair game.

Discuss.

I don't like it. Unfortunately, today I can't do anything about it. I'm also going to make some more throwaway posts to ensure I make the rather arbitrary benchmark of having more than the 6 posts you've stipulated. Can I now also run through the thread naked?

If you do go with this unwise decision (though it was the announcement that was more unwise than the intent) then you should take the following into consideration:

The first KM will be chosen randomly out of a pool that consist of all players that are roleless innocents.

2) All other Kingmakers

If the first KM should die, the next KM (and all others afterwards) will be determined by a list that has been created by the mods before the start of the game. This list consists all players that are either roleless innocents or a symp (!). The first living player on that list will be made KM.

If there are no RI or symps left, the new KM will be chosen randomly amongst all the remaining living players.

Whoever the KM is right now , they are innocent. If we kill the KM, we run the risk that the new KM is a symp. It's a small risk, but one worth noting. Also, not a risk worth taking. Especially not if you make your decision on the basis you are saying.

If you do decide on a target, make your decision as early and as obvious as possible. Announce to the thread who your two or three top suspects are. Give them time to claim Kingmaker. Nobody will counter the claim - if the Kingmaker dies, then we will have a new one tomorrow who can announce it and know we've snared an evil evil.

Usually I would think it's good practice for the KM to claim straight away, as there is no point for the killers in killing them as the innocents will simply get another one in their place. However, the symp factor changes things slightly. If there is a symp, then he could become KM. Again, the chance is small - but is it a risk worth taking by claiming KM? Today's KM is the only one who will ever be CI in this game, which will be nice for the first day.

If you do go with this unwise decision (though it was the announcement that was more unwise than the intent) then you should take the following into consideration:

Don't you think the whole point was to announce it now? My guess is that Grandison is trying to 1) force people to participate and 2) evaluate how people react and see if their participation looks forced just to escape the wrath of the King. Making an announcement is a necessary part of that.

Whoever the KM is right now , they are innocent. If we kill the KM, we run the risk that the new KM is a symp. It's a small risk, but one worth noting. Also, not a risk worth taking. Especially not if you make your decision on the basis you are saying.

If you do decide on a target, make your decision as early and as obvious as possible. Announce to the thread who your two or three top suspects are. Give them time to claim Kingmaker.

I'm confused. You seem to be criticizing his plan in particular. But then your reason is based on timing, which is really a general issue that would apply to any decision made by the King today. Are you just saying that he should post his top suspects earlier than the 3 hour deadline he mentioned, or are you trying to argue something else here?

Grandison, you've essentially announced you're going to waste Day 1 with this comment:

I don't like it. Unfortunately, today I can't do anything about it. I'm also going to make some more throwaway posts to ensure I make the rather arbitrary benchmark of having more than the 6 posts you've stipulated. Can I now also run through the thread naked?

There is something you can do about it. If most people think this is a terrible idea and give good reasons for why, then I'd honestly be willing to reconsider.

People say time and time again that someone who posts more is more likely to slip up. So I do believe scum are more likely to be on the lower end of the post counts. (Since a D1 lynch has such a poor success rate, why not send pressure their way?) But my goal wasn't to turn Day One into a lurker hunt/spamfest, but to light a fire under people to contribute on Day One. I was hoping that I wouldn't need to delve into the pool of low posters, because everyone would have posted the bare minimum. (Well, that, and I felt like stirring shit up a little.) Unfortunately, post count is a somewhat arbitrary measure of contribution, but do you have any better ideas?

It's true that it could backfire if none of the late-showers arrive and we end up twiddling our thumbs all day because the FM don't feel like they're under pressure.

Yarwyck mentioned this, but I actually thought at the time that the announcement was wiser than the intent.

If you do decide on a target, make your decision as early and as obvious as possible. Announce to the thread who your two or three top suspects are. Give them time to claim Kingmaker. Nobody will counter the claim - if the Kingmaker dies, then we will have a new one tomorrow who can announce it and know we've snared an evil evil.

My plan was to give my target a chance to claim...except you have a point that three hours before the deadline is cutting it a little close.

Usually I would think it's good practice for the KM to claim straight away, as there is no point for the killers in killing them as the innocents will simply get another one in their place. However, the symp factor changes things slightly. If there is a symp, then he could become KM. Again, the chance is small - but is it a risk worth taking by claiming KM? Today's KM is the only one who will ever be CI in this game, which will be nice for the first day.

No arguments that the Kingmaker shouldn't claim unless he's in danger of a lynch.

Are you saying by that "latching on to what I find suspicious" comment that I should go by my own gut rather than popular opinion?

Your own reasoning preferably, but why not? It's a King Maker game after all. It's the whole point of it.

Do you think that low posters are more likely to be scum, or that it's a null tell?

I think it's a null tell. Quite frankly I think low participation is more likely to be related to real life issues. An FM who is actively trying to win will probably give us a piece of his mind occasionally at the very least. I do tend to think people who put a lot of effort in the game (doing lengthy re-reads, vote analysis, etc.) are more likely to be innocent, on the other hand.

Also, do you think me suggesting such a policy is scummy? Hey, I could be a devious FM trying to deny responsibility for my actions by defaulting to a lurker lynch.

I'm not suspicious of you so far. I'll get some sleep now and try and point out what, if anything, I find suspicious tomorrow.

Leviathan, why is your name "Leviathan"?

Probably a left over from the demon game. I think the scorpions were House Qorgyle.

10-Flipflopping:

Sure, this may be a monarchy, but it's a constitutional one. Everyone can vote!

Like landless men, women, and blacks could at the beginning of the American Constitutional Democracy? Democracy is the word you are looking for that means everyone can vote and they couldn't anyway. Like the People's Republic of China which is neither the People's nor a Republic. Discuss.

Eh... stop being a sourpuss. I'm RPing and having fun. When you get the crown you can lynch whomever suits your fancy.

This person is probably innocent.

Don't you think the whole point was to announce it now? My guess is that Grandison is trying to 1) force people to participate and 2) evaluate how people react and see if their participation looks forced just to escape the wrath of the King. Making an announcement is a necessary part of that.

Was it really necessary to spell this out? Did you think that your masters would be unable to understand?

I began this post hours ago, but my internet packed in, and God dammit but I will finish it!

I'm confused. You seem to be criticizing his plan in particular. But then your reason is based on timing, which is really a general issue that would apply to any decision made by the King today. Are you just saying that he should post his top suspects earlier than the 3 hour deadline he mentioned, or are you trying to argue something else here?

On Point 1, it's plausible that this was the thinking behind the reason. However, there is also the alternative that he is simply giving himself an easy reason to base his lynch on, very early, and coast the rest of the day on that premise. There is also the point to consider that his partners (or masters) only need to make 7 posts before they are safe from his criteria, thus excluding them from everybody elses suspicion for the day.

This could also lead to a stifling of conversation, even if the volume of posting is high. The criteria has been set at those with 6 or fewer posts being up for the chop, and if there are even two or three who fall into that bracket, everyone else is going to be concentrating on a small volume of posts and not so much time on everyone else, as they just aren't the agenda for today.

In regards to your final paragraph, I'm not criticising his idea. I was criticising the announcement primarily, as I personally think it could have the above points brought against it. It also means people only have to reach an arbitrary benchmark (as I pointed out earlier) in order to pass by the reason it was raised. Some people could do 6 posts of RP, one or two with some form of contribution, and the vote count will show them to be well safe even though they haven't added much to conversation.

In timing, I think the announcement should come 6 or 7 hours before the end of day. I sleep for at least 6 hours a night, so 3 hours can go against me (or anyone) if it is made at the wrong time for that person. Making a 7 hour announcement means we can carry on without being too upset if there is no claim made.

On Point 1, it's plausible that this was the thinking behind the reason. However, there is also the alternative that he is simply giving himself an easy reason to base his lynch on, very early, and coast the rest of the day on that premise. There is also the point to consider that his partners (or masters) only need to make 7 posts before they are safe from his criteria, thus excluding them from everybody elses suspicion for the day.

This could also lead to a stifling of conversation, even if the volume of posting is high. The criteria has been set at those with 6 or fewer posts being up for the chop, and if there are even two or three who fall into that bracket, everyone else is going to be concentrating on a small volume of posts and not so much time on everyone else, as they just aren't the agenda for today.

In regards to your final paragraph, I'm not criticising his idea. I was criticising the announcement primarily, as I personally think it could have the above points brought against it. It also means people only have to reach an arbitrary benchmark (as I pointed out earlier) in order to pass by the reason it was raised. Some people could do 6 posts of RP, one or two with some form of contribution, and the vote count will show them to be well safe even though they haven't added much to conversation.

In timing, I think the announcement should come 6 or 7 hours before the end of day. I sleep for at least 6 hours a night, so 3 hours can go against me (or anyone) if it is made at the wrong time for that person. Making a 7 hour announcement means we can carry on without being too upset if there is no claim made.

Complete and utter fluff. ::Sniffs:: Smells scummy.

Was it really necessary to spell this out?

Yeah, it was. Because I wanted to question Plumm, and to do so, I had to explain why I disagreed with him.

Also, it's not as if Grandison was acting as if he didn't want us to discuss his plan. You know, given that he actually asked us to discuss it.

Yeah, it was. Because I wanted to question Plumm, and to do so, I had to explain why I disagreed with him.

Also, it's not as if Grandison was acting as if he didn't want us to discuss his plan. You know, given that he actually asked us to discuss it.

Was it necessary to do it at this time? Felt like just trying to get some text in there without really saying anything that needed to be said. If someone doesn't get it, let them fight themselves over it and look foolish. We'll lynch them down the road.

Why do you feel the need to do what Grandison tells you to do? Is he a CI? Did it seem like a worthwhile topic for you to discuss at this juncture?

Me, I'm going to go forward how I choose to and Grandison can either respect that or not. It is up to them.

Because you're doing such great work over there. Keep it up.

Doing more than you and in less time.

Archived