AGOT Mafia Game 72 - Adventures Beyond The Wall

House Targaryen

On Point 1, it's plausible that this was the thinking behind the reason. However, there is also the alternative that he is simply giving himself an easy reason to base his lynch on, very early, and coast the rest of the day on that premise. There is also the point to consider that his partners (or masters) only need to make 7 posts before they are safe from his criteria, thus excluding them from everybody elses suspicion for the day.

This could also lead to a stifling of conversation, even if the volume of posting is high. The criteria has been set at those with 6 or fewer posts being up for the chop, and if there are even two or three who fall into that bracket, everyone else is going to be concentrating on a small volume of posts and not so much time on everyone else, as they just aren't the agenda for today.

You really think somebody reaching 7 posts means they are excluded from suspicion? That's a pretty big stretch. Even if you assume that Grand was being serious about Rule 2, the fact that it's in play wouldn't stop me from suspecting and pressuring somebody who had reached the magic 7 post threshold. I doubt it would stop anybody else either. Even if Grand refused to lynch a suspicious player due to Rule 2, it's not as if they would escape the spotlight the following day. So what would he really gain?

So I can't see how conversation would be stifled. I'm not going to let my focus be narrowed down to just the low posters. Are you?

You really think somebody reaching 7 posts means they are excluded from suspicion? That's a pretty big stretch. Even if you assume that Grand was being serious about Rule 2, the fact that it's in play wouldn't stop me from suspecting and pressuring somebody who had reached the magic 7 post threshold. I doubt it would stop anybody else either. Even if Grand refused to lynch a suspicious player due to Rule 2, it's not as if they would escape the spotlight the following day. So what would he really gain?

So I can't see how conversation would be stifled. I'm not going to let my focus be narrowed down to just the low posters. Are you?

You are stifling the conversation by discussion something that is irrelevant to what is going on. It has not happened yet and probably won't happen. Maybe it will, I don't know and I don't care right now. I will sure as fuck care after it happens, but until then the discussion of Rule 2 can be safely tabled for the good of all good creatures.

So do you find Plumm to be scummy? If so, why? If not, who do you find scummy?

Leviathan, why is your name "Leviathan"?

:dunno:

I fixed it.

I've never played a KM game before, so I really have no idea what strategy is appropriate. It seems to me that we should treat it like a normal game with voting for a lynch, etc. and the KM should publicly agree to lynch the consensus choice. Ultimately, they can lynch whomever they want, but at least if the threat of following the popular choice is there, it might lead the killers to make the same sort of mistakes that they would make in a real game. I would think that we need some way to pressure players (other than the King pressuring with the real threat of lynching), and to get players to go on record about who they would lynch. The King can be held accountable for his choice to not follow the consensus. If they choose to lynch someone else, they will have to explain themselves if the CF comes up innocent.

I don't know how many haven't checked in, but perhaps a D1 extension might be in order since there has been little participation. I was expecting a PM on Ran's board, and others may have been unaware that the game had started.

What? No. I'm not. But surely you can see how some people will be more than happy to concentrate on the low posters because they have nothing better to offer, especially on day one?

Back to the "what?" - where did I say reaching 7 posts excludes you from suspicion? That would be an utterly ridiculous thing to say, which is exactly why I said that Grandison has picked a seemingly arbitrary number to consider someone off the table in terms of contribution. I don't see how posting 6 times makes you any better than someone who posted 7.

The point I was attempting to make was that IF Grandison sticks to those parameters, then his HYPOTHETICAL partners/masters need only to reach that amount of posts and SOME people will ignore them for the rest of the day.

Anyway, stop putting words in my mouth. I've still got lots of spew in there I have to clean up before bed.

Hi all, just checking in. For now, I agree that the kingmaker should stay quiet unless he's in danger. I don't have a problem with the king prodding low posters or voting one, as long as he considers everything else that happens and doesn't exclude suspicious players cause they've got a good post count, which is unlikely anyway. I'll have more time later on.

Hi all, just checking in. For now, I agree that the kingmaker should stay quiet unless he's in danger. I don't have a problem with the king prodding low posters or voting one, as long as he considers everything else that happens and doesn't exclude suspicious players cause they've got a good post count, which is unlikely anyway. I'll have more time later on.

Grandison!

Kill this guy.

I don't know how many haven't checked in, but perhaps a D1 extension might be in order since there has been little participation. I was expecting a PM on Ran's board, and others may have been unaware that the game had started.

This was an issue for me as well...but we knew the game was starting today and got prodded by Piper on this board. People should be on by now.

Anyway, stop putting words in my mouth. I've still got lots of spew in there I have to clean up before bed.

Hopefully on any topic other than what you've pretty much been exclusively harping on.

Hopefully when you come back you'll choose one side of the other instead of cruising down the middle of the road. As much as I don't like Plumm, this is more suspicious. Plumm is asking for attention or is just not being helpful at this point, not really FM behavior generally.

*EDIT* Gah, Plumm beat me to it.

Was it necessary to do it at this time? Felt like just trying to get some text in there without really saying anything that needed to be said.

Questioning people on their opinions is how you get information in this game. Like I said, I wanted to question Plumm. So yeah, it was necessary "at this time".

If someone doesn't get it, let them fight themselves over it and look foolish. We'll lynch them down the road.

I'm really not even sure what you're trying to say here. You want to lynch people, but you don't want to pressure them? You just planning on soaking it all in and having it come to you in a flash of inspiration?

Why do you feel the need to do what Grandison tells you to do? Is he a CI? Did it seem like a worthwhile topic for you to discuss at this juncture?

That's not what I said at all. My point was that Grandison didn't act as if his plan was off limits for discussion. In fact, he encouraged it. So if he wasn't hiding anything, then why should I refrain from discussing it (which is what you were suggesting I should have done).

Really strange how you would twist my words like that. It's as if you have decided to be 'on attack', but you aren't really paying attention to the responses...you just want to play the role for the sake of appearances. Suspicious.

I'm really not even sure what you're trying to say here. You want to lynch people, but you don't want to pressure them? You just planning on soaking it all in and having it come to you in a flash of inspiration?

What have I done that gives you the impression that I don't want to pressure anybody? My feeling was that discussing lynching low posters doesn't really get us anywhere. I realize the discussion has to start somewhere and maybe it needed to start so that it could get ended and we could start yelling at each other.

That's not what I said at all. My point was that Grandison didn't act as if his plan was off limits for discussion. In fact, he encouraged it. So if he wasn't hiding anything, then why should I refrain from discussing it (which is what you were suggesting I should have done).

Give me a good reason to follow Grandison. Him being King is the wrong answer.

Really strange how you would twist my words like that. It's as if you have decided to be 'on attack', but you aren't really paying attention to the responses...you just want to play the role for the sake of appearances. Suspicious.

This is the laziest way to try to throw attention off yourself and onto your attacker. OMGUS2.

Wow. I guess I'm hopping on the "kill this guy" bandwagon too.

Seriously, I just don't get this post. It has a lot of words, yet says nothing.

I, too, hope for something slightly more substantial later. I've seen first roleplay posts with more content!

Seeing as Grandy is the King today, surely it makes sense to discuss their plans when the share them, CI or not?

I mean, Grandy is the one person who won't be lynched today, and the one person who's final opinion today actually matters.

I disagree with this line of thought. I'd rather not have the game guided by someone that I have no reason to trust. Frankly, I like Grandison, I think their posts are entertaining and I've agreed with some of what they've said. Doesn't matter though, I have no desire to let them lead the discussion if I disagree. Everyone can play their own way, if you want to follow the path lain out for you, it is smooth and nice, then you may.

Generally in a game like this, the King will pretty much go along with the will of the group unless they have some other motive or they have strong feelings about a certain player or group of players. They will have to answer for that if the consensus is that they are wrong in their choice. We do the best job we can to help the King make the right choice and the start of that road is not set out by the King necessarily IMO. Particularly, as I've said, when we don't know if they are evil or not.

What Bracken is doing is a classic way of moving us from the joke/roleplay phase to the real phase of the day. It always ends up looking slightly bad for the person doing it, but invariably helps us move on and actually start looking for badguys.

Right now, Bracken's heavy handed attack has lifted the game squarely into the serious phase in a way that talking about plans and seven posts in a nice happy agreeable way couldn't do so, and as such I thank him for it.

If you do decide on a target, make your decision as early and as obvious as possible. Announce to the thread who your two or three top suspects are. Give them time to claim Kingmaker. Nobody will counter the claim - if the Kingmaker dies, then we will have a new one tomorrow who can announce it and know we've snared an evil evil.

The only way I can see we'd know we snared an evil is if we get a false claim the and real KM does counter it. How does having a new KM tell us we've snared an evil?

The only way I can see we'd know we snared an evil is if we get a false claim the and real KM does counter it. How does having a new KM tell us we've snared an evil?

I think he was referring to the idea of the king going ahead and lynching the guy who claims king maker.

Of course, I can't see a killer being that dumb. It'd basically be signing his own death warrant.

This was an issue for me as well...but we knew the game was starting today and got prodded by Piper on this board. People should be on by now.

Looks like only 3 haven't checked in yet (Kennington, Swann, Reyne), and less than 2 hours to modkill? Unless I missed something, I would rather see an extension of the modkill time than see a bunch of modkills under the circumstances.

Tarback - I didn't like your reaction and vote (impotent as it is) of Harclay. Harclay was obviously joking. Your response did not sound like a joke, and when prodded by Grandison about it you said we, "can't say yet, but should pressure him to make an opinion." Really? you can't say whether Harclay was joking or serious? I can.

You are stifling the conversation by discussion something that is irrelevant to what is going on. It has not happened yet and probably won't happen. Maybe it will, I don't know and I don't care right now. I will sure as fuck care after it happens, but until then the discussion of Rule 2 can be safely tabled for the good of all good creatures.

That's ridiculous. It's not stifling conversation, because you can obviously talk about whatever you want to talk about. Nobody is stopping you. And beyond that, we've had maybe 3-4 posts on the subject. It certainly hasn't taken over the thread.

The ironic thing is, you're actually the one who is trying to "stifle conversation", by trying to put a stop to the discussion. Is there some reason why you don't want me to question Plumm? Seems like you're trying to sidetrack me.

So do you find Plumm to be scummy? If so, why? If not, who do you find scummy?

The game just started. I'm gathering information.

Looks like only 3 haven't checked in yet (Kennington, Swann, Reyne), and less than 2 hours to modkill? Unless I missed something, I would rather see an extension of the modkill time than see a bunch of modkills under the circumstances.

Tarback - I didn't like your reaction and vote (impotent as it is) of Harclay. Harclay was obviously joking. Your response did not sound like a joke, and when prodded by Grandison about it you said we, "can't say yet, but should pressure him to make an opinion." Really? you can't say whether Harclay was joking or serious? I can.

2 hours to modkill?

Unless I've missed something, we should have more in the region of 14 hours before modkills?

What Bracken is doing is a classic way of moving us from the joke/roleplay phase to the real phase of the day. It always ends up looking slightly bad for the person doing it, but invariably helps us move on and actually start looking for badguys.

Right now, Bracken's heavy handed attack has lifted the game squarely into the serious phase in a way that talking about plans and seven posts in a nice happy agreeable way couldn't do so, and as such I thank him for it.

Are you sucking up to Bracken? If so, why?

Archived