what is the chance of HBO seeing it through?

Out of curiousity how many of you think that you'll get to see all 7 seasons? I only ask cos i have spent a fair bit of time and money on HBO shows which never got finished.

Deadwood, Rome, Carnivale, as well as other shows on other networks which got me hooked then dissapeared without a trace (most notably and depressingly Firefly) so i just wondered if anyone had any hard data on what percentage of major/expensive TV shows make it to their conclusion. Sopranos, the Wire and Six Feet Under are the only ones i can think of off the top of my head on HBO.

Sadly, if AGoT goes 7 seasons (for seven books) that would make it the longest running series in pay-television history (IIRC). I don's see that in the cards.

Then again... when I read the books in 1999-2000 if you told me that HBO would pick up this series, I'd of thought that THAT was also not in the cards, so... anything is possible.

Yeah, I would be glad to get the books covered we already have read, before I would wonder about the series as a whole (actually, I would gladly see the TV series not being made in excahnge for the complete series in book form). And I would not bet that we have ADoS in 7 years, nor do I bet that GRRM does truly need only 7 volumes to finish the story.

But I really would like to meet Stannis, Melisandre, Davos, Asha, Margaery, Olenna, and Oberyn, so getting 3 seasons would be excellent.

But, in any case, I think all guys involved in this project that they will not be able to get some kind of ending to this series - not without making drastic changes to the story. And even then, everyone will be asking what the hell this whole Daenerys storyline was supposed to be about.

But, in any case, I think all guys involved in this project that they will not be able to get some kind of ending to this series - not without making drastic changes to the story. And even then, everyone will be asking what the hell this whole Daenerys storyline was supposed to be about.

At least people can fall back to the books if the series doesn't get to the end. Having a HBO TV series is great but I didn't start reading the books because they would be made into a TV series. :)

Just seeing 1 episode will be amazing though.

Sadly, if AGoT goes 7 seasons (for seven books) that would make it the longest running series in pay-television history (IIRC). I don's see that in the cards.

That's only sort of true. Sex and the City had at least one two-part season, as did the Sopranos, so as far as I'm concerned they were on for seven seasons. Also, Oz was six seasons, but one of those seasons was twice as long as the others (16 episodes instead of eight).

If we get three seasons, I'll be happy.

But like Alexia said above, gravy is good. :)

And we're assuming the series will be done in seven volumes. :smoking: I've been to two book signings with GRRM, one for Swords and one for Feast. Each one extended his projected number of books by one.

We'll see what he says when the Dance is done.

More than anything, I want to see the Red Viper/Mountain fight.

The riot in Kings Landing. Its my favorite chapter.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself here but I'm really looking forward to Season 2. Tyrion and Sansa both shine in the second book, between Tyrion's Machiavellian plotting and Sansa trying to trick Joffrey into getting killed during the battle.

The riot in Kings Landing.

I'd better go to bed, cos I just read that as "The riot in Knot's Landing".

:wacko:

Yeah, I don't think honestly HBO will stick around for 7 years. Which is a shame, but if I get 3 or 4 seasons out of it I'll be beyond thrilled.

It partially depends on how good the show is (from the PoV of execs, viewers, potential viewers and critics), it partially depends on external factors (economic climate, popularity and prevalence of fantasy, scheduling, cast availability, foreign syndication deals, etc) and it partially depends on how much the fans support the show (subscribing to HBO, DVDs, merchandise and spreading the word and making more fans of the show). If the Government continues to sweeten the deal by giving HBO tax breaks and grants then that could convince them to keep with the show for longer than they otherwise might because they'd be getting a high-quality show for a bargain price.

I personally would be thrilled if it went three seasons - covering the whole War of Five Kings. Anything after that is all gravy. :)

It doesn't really cover the War of 5 Kings, seeing as one of them is very much alive and still trying up on the Wall.

Like others, I'm happy with just one season right now.

It doesn't really cover the War of 5 Kings, seeing as one of them is very much alive and still trying up on the Wall.

:shocked:

anyways, after Rome, i doubt they'll prematurely call it. i'd say unless it utterly fails, we can count on 3 seasons. and considering the content of the 3rd, i'll be optimistic for a 4th... after that however is when i'd start to worry depending on how they decide to structure it.

Except that Stannis lost before the war even began. What was it Renly said? "No one wants you for their king. Sorry." :D

I could see 3 seasons getting ordered. 10 eps for game of thrones, 11 eps (or a two hour finale of a ten ep order, so really a 11 hour order) for book two, and 12-13 hours ordered for season 3. The fourth season would be a combine of Crows and Dragons, but due to declining interest would only get 10 episodes (with the majority of the episodes dedicated to the events of Dragons, since the events of Feast are mostly boring or about side characters). Of course all this is dependent on If George has finished the fifth book by then (late 2013, early 2014). I doubt it would get further than a fourth season though, but we'll see. its incredibly unlikely that book six will be even half written by the time that they're ready to film a fifth season, so the show ends there.

Archived