NYC Game of Thrones premier party?

fitheach

The hotel I'm staying in in New York (The New Yorker, 34th and 8th) has conference rooms and what not for renting. I'll ask tomorrow if HBO is available in such a room and what the cost would be to rent a room for Sunday night. Would anyone be interested?

The hotel I'm staying in in New York (The New Yorker, 34th and 8th) has conference rooms and what not for renting. I'll ask tomorrow if HBO is available in such a room and what the cost would be to rent a room for Sunday night. Would anyone be interested?

I was going to watch at home, alone, with a bottle of wine (so saaad! waaa waa waaaa)... My RL friends who're into the series and excited about the show, live in other parts of the country and world (stupid friends :tantrum:). I finally caved a month ago and ordered HBO, but would rather watch with a group of like minded geeks!

Sooo, if the cost isn't too high I'll join in.

One thing to be aware of when having a party at a hotel -- there can be stiff fees/fines if you bring in your own booze. I don't know about your particular hotel, but whatever ends up happening (whether the hotel is OK with a small group drinking their own stuff or if you decide to drink on the DL or you just order from the hotel bar), just keep it in mind. Corkage fees have been a sticking point in the past when WorldCon committees have negotiated with the designated party hotels.

Hi all, sorry for not getting back to you earlier but I had to fight tooth and nail to meet the woman who handles the conference rooms.

Sadly she gave me two pieces of bad news; none of the ordinary, smaller, rooms have HBO pre-installed, and secondly the rates were much higher than the indicative rates I'd been given by the general staff earlier (from ~$100 to starting at $500). The only room with HBO that she had cost $1500... which is frankly too much unless others would be willing to chip in with large amounts of money.

The other option was for me to upgrade to a suite in the hotel for that night (which could hold ~15 people standing) but even that would cost $600.

Sorry to have given people false hopes. I'm a bit bummed as well.

I'm afraid that the word is that it's not legal for bars or restaurants to offer HBO. I know they often have sports cable channels, but HBO is apparently not part of that.

(Haven't read this entire thread so it may have already been posted but) Legally bars are not allowed to show HBO. There are some that have a way around it, but the 2 bars in Brooklyn that I called did not.

Now I see that Ran also posted this, so then our only recourse is for someone with HBO or some sort of legally cleared viewing party to invite us all over. Slim chance of that on short notice.

Hi,

Long time lurker here but I just wanted to point out that professor Thom's is hosting a viewing party for Game of Thrones: http://www.professorthoms.com/

How they are able to do this is beyond me but I saw the info and figured I'd pass it along.

It's a small time sports bar down in the village. I know the premiere is past, but it looks like this is going to be a weekly thing (With free jello shots anytime someone dies) so if your still looking for a place to party, why not check it out.

Hi,

Long time lurker here but I just wanted to point out that professor Thom's is hosting a viewing party for Game of Thrones: http://www.professorthoms.com/

How they are able to do this is beyond me but I saw the info and figured I'd pass it along.

It's a small time sports bar down in the village. I know the premiere is past, but it looks like this is going to be a weekly thing (With free jello shots anytime someone dies) so if your still looking for a place to party, why not check it out.

I know this pub, it's on 2nd Ave near 14th St (close to my apartment)... They are definitely not doing it legally.

Wow, free jello shots anytime someone dies... Awesome.. :stillsick:

I know this pub, it's on 2nd Ave near 14th St (close to my apartment)... They are definitely not doing it legally.

Wow, free jello shots anytime someone dies... Awesome.. :stillsick:

Ah, c'mon, jello shots are a tried-and-true standby! ...if I end up in NYC and can't make it to my parents' in NJ, I may partake of this, we'll see.

Just back from Professor Thom's. Here's my impressions of the venue:

There's an upstairs and a downstairs area in the bar, the Game of Thrones viewing is upstairs. This is important. I was sitting at the bar downstairs and almost missed it--luckily I asked whether they would be putting on the show at 9:00, and was able to close out my tab and hustle upstairs before the opening credits (although not in enough time to buy another drink).

There are two rooms upstairs, a smaller back room ringed with couches and a large projection TV, and a larger bar area with several flat panel TVs over the bar. I was sitting in the smaller room, where they had the lights dimmed and set out candles. There were three quibbles. First, the sound quality was a little muddy, which made understanding some of the accents tricky. Second, the letterbox screen was stretched vertically to fit the 4:3 screen ratio, which distorted the actor's faces. I may ask if they can project it in letterbox next week, since the screen is huge. The third issue is just that because the couches line the walls and the screen is at one end of the room, you're forced to sit sideways to see the screen.

I counted about 35 people there watching the show, about evenly split between the smaller room and the larger room. It was full, although not packed; they had set out folding chairs in the bar area to handle the crowd and still had a few available. The food's the standard bar fare, and there's a nice selection of draft beers downstairs (although I couldn't tell if they were all available on draft upstairs). The staff was attentive and considerate (trying to stay quiet and out of sight lines while the show was on).

Oh, and indeed they provided jello shots. In this episode (the second) it was right at the end, in conjunction with the execution. I almost wish I wasn't a vegetarian, so I could partake.

All in all, it was great to watch the show with a crowd. I'll be back next week.

I also found it a nice place to take in the show. The upstairs loft was a little tricky to find but once there, It was easy enough to get a good seat. They we're actually offering cocktails based on the series as well and it appears they are going to be adding to that menu each week as they unveil new drinks! (New week they are serving up something call A dragons egg!)

I'll be back, so if anyone else is there come say hey!

Archived