Battles

To me having Green Forks and Whispering Wood in back to back episodes would diminish the impact and audiences might groan," not another battle already". I would rather them have the buildup to Whispering Wood in the last episode for season one with Catlyn, The Blackfish and Robb, discussing on horseback Jaime's impatience etc, Robb and Blackfish leaving Catlyn there in the night on the hill overlooking the wood with a sense of apprehension. The first episode of season two would have the battle of Whispering Wood. I like the idea George had of just hearing the battle, with occasional glimpses of it by Catlyn has she strains to see thru clearings in the wood. The one change would be to see Jaime's desperate attempt to rally his men and then realizing the hopelessness to gather those knights nearby and charge Robb and his bodyguard. This way we can finally see Jaime in all his terrifying best, afterall he is the best swordsman in Westeros and we never really get to see him do his thing in battle. The scene can cut when he gets to Robb after hacking thru the Kharstarks, then back to the apprehensive Catlyn (that way the viewers don't know the outcome till Robb brings Jamie before her).

(big spoilers follow)

I like your description of the battle and I definitely want to see some of Jaime's skills but I think that moving it up a season will really break the pacing. First we'd get the Green Fork, ending in a Lannister victory, which seemingly sets the Starks back quite a lot. At this point the audience will still be on the whole 'Revenge for Ned' tour, so I say at least some satisfaction is needed for that. I'm guessing that the season ending will coincide with the book epilogue. The whole "King in the North" scene is a nice lead into that, but makes no sense without the Whispering Wood. Also, Tywins decision to send Tyrion to Kings Landing is inspired by the capture of Jaime. This event brings some closure to Tyrions journey in book one. To move that to S2E1 would be somewhat awkward in my opinion. Having Tyrion arrive in Kings Landing in the first episode of season two would look better, if only because an inter season break is often associated with the passage of time in tv-land.

If I want to get really pedantic there is also the whole red comet business. Keeping with my asumption of epilogue = season final scene, it would be odd that nobody in the Whispering Wood remarks on that comet. Even if you account for the fact that the Dany and Westeros timeline don't coincide. People still expect that what they see before, happens prior to or at least at the same time as what they see after. (Unless they are watching Lost, in which case all bets on chronology are off).

Besides, when is watching more battles a bad thing?

The Green Fork happens after the Whispering Wood, though. Remember, in the aftermath of the Green Fork we have the scene where the messenger arrives to tell Tywin about Jaime being captured and Robb lifting the siege of Riverrun.

Besides, I think they'd want to finish off that storyline with the "King in the North" scene.

It's not as if fitting ACOK into 10-13 episodes wont be hard enough without moving scenes from AGOT into it.

From what we've heard of the show the battles aren't really going to be the focus anyhow, so i think they'll be lightly handled. Of course they'll keep Jaime kicking ass and being served though. To keep the battles interesting they just need to show something different happening or film it so it doeesn't seem too repetitive. Rome managed to get lots of battles often with several in an episode and while a little rushed didn't ruin the story.

The battle of the Green Fork is huge, if not exactly epic like the Blackwater. It's intense and filled with action, loud noises, thundering hooves and the beating of swords on armour.

Whispering Woods is a whole other type of scene, dark and mysterious with a tension you can almost touch. It culminates with the sight of Jaime coming out of the fog, insanely skilled and terrifying, cutting right through the defenses up towards Robb.

These two scenes can be portrayed very differently, and I cannot imagine the audience being bored by seeing them in subsequent episodes.

What about having Green Forks take place at night with lighting and thunder (so the audience can see better) and intercut Whispering Wood with it. You can jump between Tyrion and Catlyn that way. When Green Forks is over and settles down and the runner appears to Tywin with news, the audience then realizes that both battles were days apart actually.

I still hope they they show Jaime in all his terrifying glory in Whispering Wood, cause we never really see Jaime in a no holds battle except for that small skirmish with Brienne and the bandits. Personally I like the idea of as Catlyn watches riders approach we cut to flashback of Jaime leading suicide charge up to Robb, we cut to Catlyn then back to Jaime as he hacks his way thru lesser knights, then back to Catlyn a look of apprehension as she can't make out the riders (she is fearing the worse), back to Jaime as he kills the Kharstarks, getting closer to Robb (have Robb look a little unsure as I am sure Robb probably would not feel very confident against a terrifying Jaime approaching), Catlyn riders get closer, back to Jaime almost on top of Robb, then a horse collides with Jaime's, Catlyn her face turns to relief, Jaime falling from horse, Catlyn seeing Robb and then Jaime being pulled behind and a look of triumphant satisfaction on her face, cut to Jaime looking up with that usual arrogant smile, on a bloody face.

What about having Green Forks take place at night with lighting and thunder (so the audience can see better) and intercut Whispering Wood with it. You can jump between Tyrion and Catlyn that way. When Green Forks is over and settles down and the runner appears to Tywin with news, the audience then realizes that both battles were days apart actually.

I like this. Added bonus is the contrast between the martial skills of the Lannister brothers. It should be done right though, as not to be confusing. However a lot of war movies (the longest day, a bridge to far) seem to be able to keep things well separated so this can be done.

Archived