Westeros Blog: Catelyn Recast: Ehle Out, Fairley In

Westeros

My only concern with the recasting is that people will watch the pilot and then become very confused when the actress changes in the next episode. It might be enough to turn off a casual viewer for the rest of the series. I assume they won't be reshooting Catelyn's scenes from the pilot since it's already "in the can" so to speak.

I have been wondering about that myself, would it be easier (but still retain the quality), if they just film Ms. Fairley on a green screen acting out the scenes of Catleyn that need to be reshot and then cgi her into the final cut of the pilot.

As others have already noted, HBO has recast and reshot pilots before. Most notably being True Blood, where all of Tara's scenes were reshot. Suffice it to say, under no circumstances whatsoever will the audience be seeing the pilot air next year and seeing anyone but Michelle Fairley on screen, so far as they know.

The exact manner in which this will be accomplished is, of course, a mystery to us at this time. No real point speculating.

I noticed that too Ran, Ms. Fairley's demeanor as she was talking and especially the way she walked as she was leaving the room. She can really bring elegance to the role of Catleyn.

I agree. Watching that makes me think she'll make a great Catelyn.

As others have already noted, HBO has recast and reshot pilots before. Most notably being True Blood, where all of Tara's scenes were reshot. Suffice it to say, under no circumstances whatsoever will the audience be seeing the pilot air next year and seeing anyone but Michelle Fairley on screen, so far as they know.

The exact manner in which this will be accomplished is, of course, a mystery to us at this time. No real point speculating.

Ah, but who of us wouldn't give a lot to see the original Ehle scenes? :rolleyes:

That's a relief. I just hope it doesn't delay the premier in April-May 2011.

No real point speculating? awwwww....that's the BEST PART! <_<

She was exactly like Catelyn in that clip. Thanks Ran or Jonias or whomever is responsible :thumbsup: That's the Catelyn I wanted to see, more than what we saw in the Hideous Kinky clip.

I will always be curious about Ehle's original scenes though, but thems the shakes.

I just read a post on another forum that Daenarys might be getting recast, has anyone heard anything about this, is there some scheduling issue with Tamzin merchent? Also this is the first show I've effectivly followed form the start in yv terms so is this a normal level of turnover of actors?

Didn't GRRM recently hint at some good news and bad news, but couldn't say more at the time? Maybe this (Dany recast) is the hint...Can't really say if its good or bad, but a restructuring seems to be happening over at GoT.

My only concern with the recasting is that people will watch the pilot and then become very confused when the actress changes in the next episode. It might be enough to turn off a casual viewer for the rest of the series. I assume they won't be reshooting Catelyn's scenes from the pilot since it's already "in the can" so to speak.

Disagree here.

They're already reshooting scenes because they had nameless extras as Myrcella and Tommen. I remember the father of the girl who was Myrcella mentioned it a while back.

I just want to put a capper on my thoughts about this recast + related brouhaha. I disagree with the really rude things that were said about the actresses involved, but that said, I understand some of the qualms, from a character purist standpoint. Some of the fan justifications for the re-cast struck me as unfortunately stereotypical. As well, I don't think the point that was made (for example on WiC) about Catelyn and Cersei being peers was invalid.

But the biggest thing for me is the character's overall journey. Catelyn is stern and serious, but she also has a volatility: the way she gets angry with Ned for deriding her for caring about honors, how she feels patronized when he assumes she blabbed to Varys, the way she just wants to slap people, etc. This temper isn't exactly mature. Her sternness isn't subdued and weary and learned, more a tautly controlled volatility. And seeing that person become the depressed woman in ASOS is her whole journey (and even then she's still a fighter). If she's like that from the start, the sense of change is lost.

It's not utterly vital to the plot, no, but if they're going to include the character, why not go for accuracy? Regardless of the fact that Cersei tends to get more attention, going by book POV's Cat's the adult female lead, actually she's the most prevalent female role behind Dany overall and that's despite dying after 2.5 books; her appeal will be proportionate to how much they invest in pulling it off. It's all in the hands of Benioff and Weiss and Fairley now, and FWIW, I think Fairley is closer to the mark than Ehle was w.r.t. the character's personality and overall vibe. I just hope that they try to give a sense of Catelyn in her prime first, and that they give her some awesome hair.

If they're recasting, it has to be bad in the sense that they're going to have to devote resources (which aren't exactly limited, but are certainly not infinite) to reshooting stuff rather than plowing it into the new episodes. But maybe in the long run it will be for the betterment of the series.

I just want them to post a good pic, to shut up all the naysayers, I am just tired of them.

You don't seem to get what I am saying. Who cares what you, I, or any other fantasy geek on the internet thinks one of the actors' performance in the show will be like at this point in time?

It doesn't matter. If HBO makes an excellent series, no one will even remember that there was a re-cast, much less what the initial reaction amongst 14 year old "hard core" fans was. It's just not a big deal in any way, shape or form.

If they would just pay attention to the posts and also do some digging themselves, they would be able to analyze the info out there and hopefully come to the same conclusion I have, which is that she will actually be a better Catleyn than Jen.

You don't know that.

I mean her stage acting credentials are thru the roof, and she is just as attractive as Ms. Ehle, but is slender, taller and has more aquiline (noble) features.

Really?

They see those deglamour makeup pics online and think that his her (I thought that at first), I mean what if that pic of Ms. Theron from Monster was the only one out there of her, yet Ms. Theron is a stunning actress.

This sentence is very poorly constructed. Yet I think I get the gist of your argument, and it's bollocks. So what if the only picture of "Ms. Theron" was one from Monster? Some people are going to have reservations? Oh noes.

Creepy Stuff

Ok

If they're recasting, it has to be bad in the sense that they're going to have to devote resources (which aren't exactly limited, but are certainly not infinite) to reshooting stuff rather than plowing it into the new episodes. But maybe in the long run it will be for the betterment of the series.

Obviously reshooting result in an "unexpected" cost. I think it should be a bit annoying to the cast members and crew just to repeat the same scenes, just trying to do it as well as they did before. Anyway, Fairley it's a professional and i think she can play a nice Cat.

Maybe someday, when they take the series to DVD, they may add Ehle's scenes as an extra, and then we could make comparisons (But that's improbable). All the comparisons that we're doing now are not for real, it's all about pictures.

You don't seem to get what I am saying. Who cares what you, I, or any other fantasy geek on the internet thinks one of the actors' performance in the show will be like at this point in time?

It doesn't matter. If HBO makes an excellent series, no one will even remember that there was a re-cast, much less what the initial reaction amongst 14 year old "hard core" fans was. It's just not a big deal in any way, shape or form.

You don't know that.

Really?

This sentence is very poorly constructed. Yet I think I get the gist of your argument, and it's bollocks. So what if the only picture of "Ms. Theron" was one from Monster? Some people are going to have reservations? Oh noes.

I apologize, your Grace, for my hastely structured, poorly written quote. I guess Prince Charles was correct when he lamented the fact that the vast majority of American's have lost the ability to speak and write the English language properly. Look on the bright side though, with the internet, blogs, emails, and the like, Americans perhaps will take more care when they sit down to express themselves or their opions to others.

Ok

Archived