Westeros Blog: Fans Petition for BSG Composer

Westeros

Really? We've had Callis suggested for Littlefinger a lot (now out of the question due to his casting as a regular in Eureka) and there was some relatively brief discussion of Helfer for Cersei (pretty much thrown out because she was cast in other projects), but beyond that I don't recall much other BSG casting debate, despite my pushing of Michael Hogan for Randyll Tarly. Ironically, the only BSG castmember we know who auditioned - Jamie Bamber for Jaime - was never on anyone's radar. I don't recall Olmos or McDonnell being put forward for any roles, and the suggestions of Sackhoff for Brienne were somewhat half-hearted due to her lack of height.

Compare that to Rome where we've had Ciaran Hinds/Caesar for Tywin, James Purefoy/Antony for Ned and Oberyn Martell, Polly Walker/Atia for Cersei, Ray Stevenson/Pullo for the Hound, Kevin McKidd/Vorenus and Tobias Menzies/Brutus for Littlefinger, and so on.

More recently Polly Walker for Lisa Aryn, Kevin McKidd as Edmure Tully... It's true the Rome cast is a major push as well, and I have a problem with that as much as the BSG cast being pushed. But there was alot of talk last year about Helfer being Cersei, some of talk about Michael Hogan, alot of recent talk of Jaime Bamber as Derik whatshisname, alot on Sackoff as Brienne (and on the actress who played Calamity Jane in Deadwood), and up until recently most for Callis. Really, go back and check it out, it was maddening. Maybe I had a problem with it because I didn't see some of them as very good actors :dunno: ... I get it that the fans out there want more of what they like, but it wont help GoT at all if they're wrong for the job. My problem isn't with the actors on BSG (well, most of the actors)or the composer, it's pushing whole casts and crew from other shows in general. Petitioning for Bear McCreary as composer because he's loved for BSG doesn't mean he's right for GoT. Ran mentioned that McCreary talked of not being a fan of medieval music, the music for GoT will most likely have those themes judging by HBO's using Corvus Corax in the pilot.

As Red snow said, let's push for fresh/original casting on GoT, just as Rome/Deadwood/BSG etc. had original casting. There are alot of great underused actors (and composers) out there, as well as known actors ala Charles Dance, deserving the HBO bump. :)

As Red snow said, let's push for fresh/original casting on GoT, just as Rome/Deadwood/BSG etc. had original casting. There are alot of great underused actors (and composers) out there, as well as known actors ala Charles Dance, deserving the HBO bump.

Huh, funny, that's exactly one of the reasons I'd wish for McCreary. At the moment, he's only working on second-tier series like Caprica, Human Target and Trauma, that are either destined to go nowhere or maintain a low viewership. He also scored the video game Dark Void which bombed in reviews. He's definitely in the category of 'hasn't had his break yet'.

I am of the opinion that GoT doesn't need a composer as much as it needs a musical supervisor who knows what they're doing. If what Ran says about McCreary not being into medieval music as well, I'd definitely shy away from him.

I think the show would do well to stick with existing medieval music, and have the few songs that need to appear on-screen be specifically composed by someone who's preferably an expert on medieval music.

The music you linked to, Den, sounded very much like run-of-the-mill sci-fi music, albeit well constructed. Use augmented triads in arpeggios, staccato string parts and standard "military drums". He is obviously good at his job, but those links did nothing to convince me he's something unique.

It's true that the pilot, at least, had Mary Ramos (a frequent collaborator with Quentin Tarantino) as music supervisor. I have wondered whether it's possible this means they are indeed going to focus on medieval/neo-medieval, existing music rather than have a composer handle most of the work. No word on a composer, as of yet.

I don't know about this. I'm sure there are better composers out there. My picks would be between Jonny Greenwood (Of Radiohead, so likely unavailable. But his work on 'There Will Be Blood' was incredible), Jeff Beal or Marco Beltrami. The last is unlikely as well I suppose.

Whilst I still think McCreary would do a good job, I must admit that Caprica's musical score is so low-key as to be almost unnoticeable, and the title theme is extremely dull. Rather disappointing given his BSG work, I have to admit.

I don't know about this. I'm sure there are better composers out there. My picks would be between Jonny Greenwood (Of Radiohead, so likely unavailable. But his work on 'There Will Be Blood' was incredible), Jeff Beal or Marco Beltrami. The last is unlikely as well I suppose.

The interesting thing there is that Jonny Greenwood was the "Composer in Residence" at the BBC in 2004, and has done work for them as recently as this year. Considering this is a BBC co-production, something could come of that. However, HBO does seem to be making all of these nuts and bolts decisions, but that doesn't mean BBC might not be giving input in some way. Also, I don't know about Dan Weiss, but I could easily see Dave B. being a Radiohead fan. I just get that vibe, for some reason.

Now, would he be right for Game of Thrones? I have no idea because he's done work in so many genres and styles that I couldn't possibly imagine what his stuff would be like for a show like this.

Archived