Westeros Blog: Daenerys Casting Resumes

Do people do this often? Audition via youtube?

Dunno, doubt it. (YouTube didn't exist when I was in the business.) I didn't mean she was auditioning via YouTube so much as maybe using it as an alternative way to "send in" her audition tape, or maybe a way of getting it to them instantly, if there wasn't a lot of time. It could be they told her agent they wanted to see her, but she was in the U.S. shooting, or something, so she recorded the video in the hotel and posted it so she could be seen that way. Usually, they go in to read and the audition tape is recorded by the casting director, but it isn't always so. Elija Wood won the role of Frodo in part because he spent money on costumes, a good camera and got a director friend and some actor friends to produce a nice audition tape for him. He went above and beyond to win the role and it's partly why he got it.

Or maybe she just likes posting audition tapes she's done. Who's to say? It could be anything.

I didn't like Tamzin and though Charlotte Salt looks much more how I imagined Dany, there's something about her acting I don't like. Maybe she's really too mature or doesn't understand this character as I do... Or the whole situation is just so unnatural. At least, I don't think she looks much too old, Dany's gonna be 15 in the TV series which is not that hard to achieve with good make-up.

Yeah.

Good audition but she failed to capture what I expected to see and that's Dany's passion and craze (for lack of a better word). In the first scene, I expected more of a light bulb moment or see the reality of her brother's situation hit her more. And she seemed much too put together in the second clip. A little more passion, a little more fire. She is not a queen...yet, so a little less regal and a little more unsureness covered up with determination...

</rambling>

I actually thought her voice was too mature/deep, and she looks too old (it's going to be tough to pass her off as 15, even with makeup). There's a certain innocence and demure quality to Dany in the early parts of Game of Thrones, where she couldn't look anyone in the eye and always deferred to Viserys. I didn't really get that from Charlotte's audition. But that same actress has to convey a commanding strength and some passion later on, so it's definitely a tough role to tackle. In other words, Charlotte looks like she'd fit if she was portraying Dany of season 3, or ASoS. But a bit too mature for me for Dany of book 1.

The absolutely ideal actress to play Dany would be AnnaSophia-Robb, I know she is 16, but will be 17 shortly, so full frontal nude closeups will be out, but that can be addressed by a body double. She should still be able to do some partial shots with certain areas covered, by arms, hair etc. Her acting resume is outstanding and her physical appearance says Dany period.

The absolutely ideal actress to play Dany would be AnnaSophia-Robb, I know she is 16, but will be 17 shortly, so full frontal nude closeups will be out, but that can be addressed by a body double. She should still be able to do some partial shots with certain areas covered, by arms, hair etc. Her acting resume is outstanding and her physical appearance says Dany period.

Is she from the U.K. or Irish?

Archived