Sexism in ASOIAF?

Liadin

Could you explain that for me please? I don't understand what you mean by this part.

Women can do things but it has to be more behind the scenes and or through someone else/

Let me give you an example

Rob is like 14, a king, warrior who commands great armies and great respect. Sansa cannot do this, as the society will not respect or fear her leading armies. The only way she can get power is through some marriage. If she was a male she could be "the king of the north" and continue rob's work in that regard. The only way she will take Winterfell is if Stannis conquers it and kills the Bolton's and gives it to her or she wins in through battle.

By this time period i mean real medieval history, where GRRM based much of this universe on.

The only reason Dany has a following is because of the dragons. Notice before this she was going to take power through Khal drogo and their son. Women can't hold power on their own in this universe.

^I agree to a certain extent (EDIT: With TheKraken, just to be clear), in that male rulers are seen as the ideal, and females aren't shown as much respect in matters of leadership and battle, etc.

HOWEVER, once again, women CAN hold power on their own in Westeros. Male children are given preference in matters of succession, but females can also inherit.

- Cersei inherits Casterly Rock from Tywin (Tyrion is a convicted kingslayer, and Jaime cannot inherit whilst in the Kingsguard), NOT Kevan or any other more distant male relatives.

- Sansa is considered the "proper" heir to Winterfell, since Bran and Rickon are thought to be dead. Whilst the Boltons currently hold Winterfell, if it is returned to Stark rule, she can claim it as the heir.

- Lady Hornwood and Lady Dustin, both childless, inherit from their husbands.

- Lady Tanda of Stokeworth- Falyse and Lollys are her heirs, Bronn and dude-who-I'm-sure-has-a-name-but-I-have-forgotten-it are only Lords of Stokeworth through marriage.

Also, Dorne in general, where the previous ruler and heir to Sunspear were/ are both female, and where the laws do not prefer males in successions.

Women CAN hold power in this universe, they can inherit, they can rule, etc. That's not to say everyone will afford them equal respect, nor that some males won't try pushing their own claim instead due to the sexism inherent in the society, but women can hold power in their own right.

Don't you think Tywin actually intended to keep him from seeing any whores, though? I can't imagine why he'd object to Shae specifically (unless he was worried about having her actually living in the Tower of the Hand) while not caring if Tyrion spent every night at Chataya's. This seems to me an example of Tyrion stretching the exact words to their limit, where really Tywin would have objected to any whore, especially if Tyrion was monogamous with her.

Perhaps Tywin was already boinking Shae and that's why he didn't want Tyrion to bring her to court.

I have only read the OP so this might have already been mentioned.

Genetic research has showed tha the likelyhood of babys sex is determined by the mans genetic make up. Some men have more girls, some more boys. Given that the great houses have been going for thousands of years and that women can not inherit means the branches of the family that have had more mail babys are the ones that have survived. Hence the men of the great houses are more geneticaly predispositioned to have mail babys.

Archived