Upcoming Cover Art II

Larry.

Here's a repost from the previous thread (as requested by Larry).

Upcoming UK cover art from Gollancz: (small images)

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

Against All Things Ending by Stephen Donaldson.

Black Lung Captain by Chris Wooding.

The Alchemist in the Shadows by Pierre Pevel.

The River of Shadows by Robert V.S. Redick.

Also: Disciple of the Dog by Scott Bakker.

Wish the pics were slightly larger so I could see all the detail, but it's interesting how most of the cover art images above fit in with previous installments. The Donaldson one is an interesting exception, in that it reminds me more (and in a good way, oddly enough) of a 1970s-style illustration for a multi-genre work. The Bakker one, however, is not a good cover. If those are birds, they look more like exploding pieces from a sun-like bomb going off :P

The Sanderson cover is pretty terrible as well. It looks like the now abandoned cover art of Brent Weeks' Black Prism. Why they think that resurrecting it for The Way of Kings is a good idea I cannot fathom.

The Donaldson cover is in keeping with the previous Gollancz covers for Books 1 and 2 in this series. Agreed they look distinctly different, and even feel so (with a parchment-like quality to the covers). They remind me somewhat of those 1960s/1970s editions of LotR with just the title on the front cover and maybe some emblem rather than any overt illustrations.

I liked the UK covers for Mistborn, which were different and interesting. This one is not quite as good. Wish the cover for Black Lung Captain was bigger, but it looks good so far.

Cover for the Gollancz reissue of Brian Aldiss' excellent Helliconia Trilogy in August. Originally they were just reprinting the first book but seem to have said to hell with it and are doing all three books in a single thousand-page omnibus. Excellent news.

The Sanderson cover is quite awful, but it fits with the other Sanderson UK covers.

Black Lung Captain by Chris Wooding.

The Alchemist in the Shadows by Pierre Pevel.

These are both very nice looking covers. Hopefully the Wooding cover holds up when enlarged, and if it's Martiniere again I'm sure it will (looks like Crake and Bess on the cover)

The Enterprise of Death by Jesse Bullington.

I think I prefer this cover to the Grossbart one. The art for that one was perhaps a bit more interesting but I think the overall design of the cover is much better here.

The Fallen Blade by Jon Courtenay Grimwood.

It's interesting to see Grimwood doing a fantasy series. There doesn't really seem much info on the book (other than a couple of bookstores listing it as being part of "The Vampire Assassin Trilogy"), but Grimwood is a skilled writer and it might be worth checking out.

There doesn't really seem much info on the book

There is a plot synopsis in the Orbit catalog:

A boy who is a vampire will become an assassin like no other in Jon Courtenay Grimwood’s explosive fantasy debut.

In the depths of night, officers board a galley. They find a naked boy chained to the bulkhead. Stunningly beautiful but half-starved, the boy escapes after they release him.

The city of Serenissima is at the height of its power. Duke Alonzo commands the seas. In a chapel, Alonzo’s cousin prays — but it is her bad fortune to be there when pirates break in and kidnap her.

Marco, the Duke’s chief assassin, prepares to kill the man who let in the pirates. After he cuts the traitor’s throat, he turns back, and finds a stranger drinking blood from the dead man’s wound. The speed with which the boy scales a pillar stuns Marco.

He knows he has to find the boy, because only he could be fit to be his apprentice.

Ebook edition of A Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan.

I know many people prefer the new WoT ebook covers to the original by Sweet, but fuck most of them are godawful to look at. This latest cover joins the ranks of the uglies. . . :stillsick: :thumbsdown:

Patrick

I know many people prefer the new WoT ebook covers to the original by Sweet, but fuck most of them are godawful to look at. This latest cover joins the ranks of the uglies. . . :stillsick: :thumbsdown:

Patrick

Agreed.

Archived