Upcoming Cover Art II

Larry.

I'm keeping an eye on Steve Stone's webpage to see if he puts up the cover art for it soon.

If, however, the book has indeed fallen back to 2011, it is possible we might not see the artwork as soon as in the past.

I assume you guys are talking about the US cover, right?

ETA: Now I am confused - seems like he is doing the UK covers?

The UK and US covers are the same now, since the immense amount of bitching by the fans over the US covers (which suck ass) seems to have given Tor headaches and they've agreed to just reuse the UK Steve Stone covers. Dust of Dreams and the ICE books use the same covers as the UK, as will future books for both authors, and the existing US covers will be eventually all swapped out for the UK ones, or so I understand.

bitching by the fans over the US covers (which suck ass) seems to have given Tor headaches and they've agreed to just reuse the UK Steve Stone covers. Dust of Dreams and the ICE books use the same covers as the UK, as will future books for both authors, and the existing US covers will be eventually all swapped out for the UK ones, or so I understand.

I think I'm one of the few people who like most of the US covers. I really like the US cover for Midnight Tides and House of Chains in particular, as well as Reaper's Gale and think Toll the Hounds is pretty good, too.

I assume you guys are talking about the US cover, right?

Talking about UK.

The reason to expect it NOW is because the publisher has ALWAYS printed the cover for the next volume in the MMPB. The MMPB for Dust of Dreams comes in exactly a week, meaning that the book should already be out there in the shops.

A year ago Neth got us the cover simply because he got a copy of MMPB two weeks before publication. So I do expect that the cover art is in the book. Even if there's a delay in the publication the cover art could and should be already done.

So we wait.

P.S.

No cover US or UK is a good display of what the book offers. The reason why UK is far superior is simply because it has a more even style and more bleak/stylized. US covers give a very plain and classic fantasy look which is rather wrong for Erikson.

Best would be Swanland (the one who does Glen Cook, and Erikson himself in Germany. Go look at Malazan covers in Germany, they are cool).

The UK and US covers are the same now, since the immense amount of bitching by the fans over the US covers (which suck ass) seems to have given Tor headaches and they've agreed to just reuse the UK Steve Stone covers. Dust of Dreams and the ICE books use the same covers as the UK, as will future books for both authors, and the existing US covers will be eventually all swapped out for the UK ones, or so I understand.

Thanks for the info Wert. I have some UK covers and some US covers (bought the books when I just looked at the price - now I really want to have the better covers) that's why I was confused after looking at Steve Stones webpage.

Well yeah, the US covers are kinda trashy - but then again, I like that :D

Gormen: The German covers are cool, I agree but I think Gardens of the Moon is the same as in the US (with a different color layer) if memory serves right.

I have a few Romanian book covers. Actually two book covers and one magazine. But I have to say that these are an exception, because otherwise the Romanian book covers are stereotypical, to say the least. I would certainly like to see more such covers on the Romanian market, especially since there are a few excellent Romanian artists. But usually the covers follow the same general line, with small changes and that I can't remember after I see them first. I know that the important aspect is between the covers, but after all the covers have their role too.

Just heard back from Erikson's editor:

There is no cover for TCG.

And the book has officially been pushed back to January 2011.

Patrick

What about Stonewielder? That's still due for the end of November or the start of December, so I assume the cover art is underway?

What about Stonewielder? That's still due for the end of November or the start of December, so I assume the cover art is underway?

Stonewielder is being copyedited as we speak, so the fall pub date should stand. No artwork just yet. . .

Patrick

I actually like the us covers for Malazan. Yeah, they're kinda generic and a bit overdone, but they're cheesy in a very enjoyable way. And besides, the Toll the Hounds cover is extremely cool looking.

Of the US covers, Toll the Hounds and House of Chains were okay. Gardens of the Moon and Memories of Ice were so bad they could have been made by Darryl K. Sweet. The Deadhouse Gates cover was so shit Tor torched it before publication and swapped it out for the UK one. The Bonehunters was actually a pretty good picture, but was ludicrously inappropriate to the tone of the novel.

That's not to say that either of the two sets of UK covers have been flawless (it's a hooded guy! And another one! And another!), but they at least are reasonably coherent in art design and quality.

Archived