Upcoming Cover Art II

Larry.

With so many talented, unemployed artists out there, how are atrocities like this even possible?

I get the sense that Baen has a very, very particular audience who like to spend a lot of money on a very particular type of novel with a very particular type of cover. I ran into one of those consumers once at a bookstore. He extolled the virtues of David Weber for 30 minutes. It wasn't pretty.

Btw, Voyager are reissuing Guy Gavriel Kay's Tigana, A Song for Arbonne, The Last Light of the Sun, Sailing to Sarantium, Lord of Emperors and The Lions of Al-Rassan in February 2011, alongside the paperback of Under Heaven. They should be unveiling the new covers imminently.

It looks like Voyager are using the current US/Canada covers:

Tigana

A Song for Arbonne

Sailing to Sarantium

Lord of Emperors

Under Heaven

It looks like Voyager are using the current US/Canada covers:

Tigana

A Song for Arbonne

Sailing to Sarantium

Lord of Emperors

Under Heaven

For the most part, GGK seems to have good luck with cover artists. There have been very few of his I've seen that aren't decent to great.

Black-and-white US cover art from the new Random House catalog:

Embassytown by China Miéville.

City of Ruin by Mark Charan Newton.

The Mieville is okay, though I suspect it'll look better in color.

City of Ruin is actually a fair step up from the pathetically dull US version of Nights of Villjamur.

Wow, that is righteously bad. A two-headed flying elk with a full rack of antlers on both? How often does the rider have to untangle them? Is that He-Man's sword?

To be fair, there was a two-headed flying elk on the covers of the first two books in this series, but they weren't nearly as bad as this one. Looks like they went with a different artist for this one. Someone who was a little high on the kool aid.

To be fair, there was a two-headed flying elk on the covers of the first two books in this series, but they weren't nearly as bad as this one. Looks like they went with a different artist for this one. Someone who was a little high on the kool aid.

By the Power Of GraySkull!!!!

Archived