Westeros Blog: Arya at her Needlework

GRRM has shared a great pair of photos showing Maisie Williams—cast as Arya Stark—posing with Valyrian Steel‘s replica of Arya’s sword, Needle. She looks very Arya-like, if we may say so!

GRRM also confirms that filming commences in June in Northern Ireland. Not all actors may be in the area at that time, however, as Jason Momoa and Nikolai Coster-Waldau have both indicated they’re scheduled to start in early July.

Visit the Site!

She does look great as Arya....absolutely!

I hope they scale the sword down some tho.....it has the perfect look but to me is a little big for her frame. Remember she has to be able to hide this thing on her person eventually :) I just can't see her hiding that thing realistically :)

Great pics tho! I am excited!

It's pretty short for a sword, about 2' long in the blade. An adult's sword would be nearer 3' long. :) Also, as I recall, Arya hides it under her when sleeping, and under her cloak otherwise.

I dunno. We've sorta known that Maisie is perfect for a while. These pictures do nothing to raise/lower my confidence in the show, although I would've liked a video of her fighting. Because that would be awesome.

I met a little kid a few weeks past who looked exactly like her. The little brother of a friend of mine. He got kind of upset when I mentioned that he looks like an actress in a show next year.

The little brother of a friend of mine. He got kind of upset when I mentioned that he looks like an actress in a show next year.

Oh no! That's the worst age to tell a boy he looks like a girl. You'll give the boy a complex. Life's confusing enough at 12!

Yep, at Valyrian Steel. We have them linked up at the top right, as a license-holder. They also have a replica of Longclaw, and are preparing a replica of Ice, with plans for Robert's warhammer to follow.

Oh man, this girl is awesome. And her mother too! My mum never would have let me get my hands on a sword as a kid. I'm so jealous right now ;)

Also, the fact that she's using the sword left-handed is amazing. It really shows what a dedicated actor she is. I can't wait to see her in the show.

I think she will make a great Arya Stark.

However I'm SO glad HBO has the rights to redo the sword designs- I must say I don't like any of the swords ValyrianSteel produce. Needles crossguard is too wide (in my opinion). I highly doubt the Bravoshi would style their one hand fighting sword after a smaller version of a Westeros 2 hand long sword, I always imagined it to look like a smaller Tai Chi design http://www.shoguninternational.com/shop/images/W4TC%20d.JPG

Longclaw's hilt looks cheap, and the prototype for ICE is too mundane for a legendary magical broadsword that is handed down from generation to generation thru the Starks.

I think this could be a great way for sword designers to make some VERY impressive weapons. Those Valyrian swords were one of my favorite things to try and imagine from the books.

I don't know anything about swords really, but I imagined Needle looking like more of a, well, needle. Only a big one, like a rapier, something you can really stab someone with.

Arya looks great, though. Very Arya-ish. I hope she's up to all the work they're going to put her through, considering the character.

Man that looks cool. I'm still waiting to get my own copies of the swords. Hopefully I'll be able to collect all of them. Anyway she looks pretty much perfect so now the only question is if she can talk the talk.

Archived